ERA GT Fuel Safe foam R&R

I am going through ERA #2077 (ex-Jim Holden) and have come to the fuel cells. The fuel cells are at least 14 years old and the foam is disintegrating and collecting in the filters. These fuel cells are HDPE blow molded plastic, unique to the ERA application. They ride in an aluminum tray, which removes through the front end of the sponson, after disassembly of the front suspension and fuel filler. ERA recommends I do this with the cells in place. Has any ERA owner done this? I'm floundering on method and which foam kit to buy. Fuel Safe sells generic foam kits, but I can't tell them the part number of the fuel cells to get a tailored kit. ERA does not have the part number handy since it has been many years. If I use generic yellow foam blocks, do they have to be a tight fit to the walls of the cell? I'm guessing I buy them oversize and trim to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 109

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I've done it on my formula car and it's as simple as you describe, buy blocks of foam (I use the yellow from Summit Racing) and cut to size, scrunch up and insert.
You could contact Fuel Safe and they will likely have the fuel bladder part number supplied to ERA and drawing available, perhaps even be willing to cut you the foam insert kit.

Back