Exhaust Notes

Howard,
I and several friends race Shelby Can Am racecars in SCCA and HSR. Two of the SCAs in our group have Chev V8s with the exhaust you asked about: dual 4 into 1 headers leading into a single exhaust with race muffler. They always pass the trackside noise meter tests even though one V8 is putting out more than 600hp. And they sound GREAT!
I was at the GTP race at Road Atlanta in the late 80s and one of the factory Corvtte GTPs sounded particularly awesome in practice. I tracked it down in the pits, and it had the setup we are talking about(Chev V8 with 4 into 1 to 1 exhaust). I spoke with the team's engine man Ryan Falconer, and he agreed that it sounded wonderful. He told me that the 4 into 1 to 1 setup sounds virtually identical to a V8 with an 8 into 1 collector exhaust, and I agree.
Of course, the higher the rpm the better the wail, so your 6.8K engine should sound impressive.
There are a lot of good youtube videos with examples of these exhausts. Here's one you'll like with the V8 4 into 1 to 1 exhaust:

YouTube - DeTomaso Pantera with BMW V8

Jack

Sounds great!!!

I like the comment a few ways down saying "you'll never get a ford to sound like that" haha.

Just one more: a 5.4 liter Ford V8 with 8 into 1 exhaust...

YouTube - trophy truck Duralast batteries

Jack

That's a great quality clip.
Makes me wonder why more people have not fashioned the 8-1 exhaust - clearly it sounds exotic.

Reyno
I didn't know FORD made a 350 ci engine. Before you spend more time on engine 'note' or exhaust sound, your friend may need to procure the chassis or chassis plans. Keep in mind if your friend does a small block 427, 427FE, or one of the FORD modular engines, the engine mounting will be different engine to engine. Living in California, your going to have enough problems getting it legal for the street whatever the finish product sounds like.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Grady,

Unless there is some part of this I have missed, I found the registration process in California to be fairly straight forward. It takes a little time and there are several steps, but it's not hard.

Not impossible to get the registration completed, but not as easy to do as in other states. I had more problems here with the Cobra than the GT40. It boils down to educating the licensing personal what the car is and is not. The point I was trying to make in a round about way was, don't concern yourself with how the engine sounds until you have the engine and the car it goes with on hand. As mine has a 427 FE, I would really like a 5.4L modular and maybe a SC. Some of the MKIs with FI and sb 427s are very nice and more reliable than the FE. But I'm not complaining.

Mike, Thanks! I had been looking for that Hi-tech SPF video for a bit, but it was pulled from youtube. One of the best! Love the bit of air!

Wow!
I just stumbled onto this thread, count on my buddy Mike to come up with the goods on anything FORD. I love that last clip! The crisp POP and metallic sound. Sounds really angry :evil: Now I have to go back and review all the other sound clips posted, thanks to all who have contributed here. Because of the modded rear body of my SLC I have more room on top of the ricardo than standard, about 4 inches without cutting up the body.....now what can I do with that :idea:

Keith

Wow!
I just stumbled onto this thread, count on my buddy Mike to come up with the goods on anything FORD. I love that last clip! The crisp POP and metallic sound. Sounds really angry :evil: Now I have to go back and review all the other sound clips posted, thanks to all who have contributed here. Because of the modded rear body of my SLC I have more room on top of the ricardo than standard, about 4 inches without cutting up the body.....now what can I do with that :idea:

Put a Ford in it! :laugh:

Ive been having dreams about exhausts and their sound lately. Has anyone tried or know of what the effect of an 8 into 4 would sound like? Im meaning having 2 exhaust ports paired into one. Then these 4 outlets ( 2 either side of the car) appear at the rear.

How about this then for some ideas.

YouTube - cbx 1000 6-6 pipemaster at 7000 rpm

Bruce,

The 8 into 4 you can hear from a Daytona Coupe or replica. Search utube for that. Factory Five supply a 8 into 4 setup with their replicas. It sounded not much different from 4 into one from memory, but that was with a stock 302W motor with quad webbers, so it didn't rev all that high. See pic attached for the pipe setup I'm refering to.

Attachments

• DSCF1085.jpg
    DSCF1085.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 228
Back