Few O1E Questions

Hi all,
had a bit of a poke on the gearbox ready to have it media blasted (assume this is fine to do?) Will be measuring up the mount locations in work if they'd be of any use to anyone.

Gearbox seems to have an extra little mount bolted on underneath, bit like a torque limiting mount like some engines have on the top. Would it be fine to just mount the gearbox from the 2 main mounting points? thinking round poly bushes, easy to make, road car but keeping the lot fairly stiffly mounted seems a good idea

secondly, I've read that the O1E came with and without external oil coolers. Will have to look it up, but i think mine came out of a Passat diesel. My box has a few large(~24mm) nuts on the upper right hand side that look as though they could be plugs for an external cooler. First, is this correct, and if so, would it be wise to fit one (target ~400whp, 2.7tt V6
okay turns out those are for the internals :embarassed:

lastly (for now), all O1E's are 6 speed right? having a play with a set of mole grips on the selector i could only find 5?
.l--l--l
(If that makes sense)

Ooh and any opinions on LSD's for these? Not something i have experience with and on my wages not something I'm looking forward to buying either!

Last edited:
Hi Henk,

Make sure you cover the breather (little plastic plug on top) and avoid the seals and you should be fine.

Yes, Its got a choice of mountings but I think most just mounted it off the two side mounts towards the rear.

Yes some came with oil coolers but you need the pump (AFAICT only the "quattro" versions had it, I'm not sure if there was a 2wd version). Those big nuts are for the detent springs on the gearchange.

No. Some are 5 speed.... What code is it?

It's 01E btw not O1E.

code is 01E 301 103 K-L
not 100% on the 3 letter code, but DQS rings a bell. I'll try and find it on the box.
Fingers crossed, as that seems to be one of the better ones i believe.
Have to say there is so much useful info on these gearboxes on this forum!

yeah i read about what the nuts are for after i'd posted, won't worry about oil cooling then, which helps.

checked the 'box, and actually found the invoice (then promptly put it through the washing machine by accident!) but yes it's a DQS that I have.
So it is a 6 speed :)

Thanks David

Only the uber rare A8 front wheel drive 01E's came with diff pumps, of which I can add them using a quattro case. Most FWD 01e's are 6 speed some are 5 however.

Back