Fitting RCR Stock seats with Side impact bars

Joel K

Supporter
Hi everyone,

Looks like I ran into a fitment issue with the stock seats and brackets because I have the optional side impact bars.

I am in the process of mounting the steering column and want to mount it relative to the seating position. Since my car was delivered in a crate many of the holes are just marked but not drilled all the way through so I have a chance to put the steering column exactly where I would like.

The issue is both the wide seat on the driver side and standard seat on the passenger side intrude on the mounting plate for the impact bars by 1” on the passenger side and 1.5” on the drivers side.

For now, I’ll put the standard seat on the drivers side to align the steering column but want to run this past the group for any ideas on changing the brackets up to get more room at the base.

Here is a pic of the Driver floorpan and holes where the impact bars anchor...
AFAE41FC-104F-463F-8598-F994CB2F6159.jpeg

Here is how much the seat bracket overlaps the impact bar mounting area...
F8E87DB7-3E17-44AD-A0C7-0C9C9674A28D.jpeg

Here is a pic of the passenger side.
CACB894A-ACD6-4697-8445-D8E6D546C08A.jpeg

I swapped the standard seat and placed it in the drivers side with the impact bars to give you a better sense of the fitment issue...
9763C439-29A0-4EE6-9121-B2476F1615DC.jpeg

Lastly, if I decide the ditch the stock seats, how big is the Tillet B5 Seat Track footprint(edge to edge), wondering if that setup with brackets will clear the side impact bars. Also, due to my size, 6’2”, 250lbs wondering if the B5 is just too small. My waist is 38”, this could be the motivation to drop 25 lbs and get to a 36”. I do fit in the standard RCR seat although not very comfortable but livable, the 1.5” wider seat has pleanty of room and very comfortable.

Anyway, as always appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Unfortunately you won't fit in the B5's Joel. I fit okay at 185/190 lbs. I briefly went up to 200lbs a couple of years ago and found the seat uncomfortable. I have a 34 waist (at 185lbs) and I'm just over 6 feet tall.
Looks like you might need to make custom brackets in the outboard position.

Joel K

Supporter
Unfortunately you won't fit in the B5's Joel. I fit okay at 185/190 lbs. I briefly went up to 200lbs a couple of years ago and found the seat uncomfortable. I have a 34 waist (at 185lbs) and I'm just over 6 feet tall.
Looks like you might need to make custom brackets in the outboard position.

Thanks Ken, I vaguely remember being a 34 waist back in 82 but that ain’t happening again for sure :)

Can you explain what you mean by outboard position?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The seat bracket that is closest to the door is what I'm referring to.
I didn't like the look of the stock brackets and made my own. The base of my brackets face "in" to save space.

IMG_2807.JPG

Joel K

Supporter
The seat bracket that is closest to the door is what I'm referring to.
I didn't like the look of the stock brackets and made my own. The base of my brackets face "in" to save space.

View attachment 100031

Thanks Ken, I already mounted them inboard. Was thinking maybe I’d split the bracket in two and mount the top part to the side of the seat and them mount the bottom part 3/4” inward on both sides and that would clear the base.

The other approach is to reshape the fiberglass section where the seat attaches to the bracket(reduce the depth of the recessed area) and use the standard brackets. I sort of like them but not sure I want to do this.
D8C3E369-89D7-4DCB-AEA4-FF678882A01F.jpeg

Just looking for some other ideas as well.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Oops sorry Joel. Looking back at the pictures I do see they face inboard. Just as a reference....my base bracket width is 15 3/4' with the B5.

You can make it fit by trimming the back of the seat mounting bracket so it just rides over the side bar plates. Bolt it (or the sliders) to the floor just ahead of where you trimmed the bracket to slide over the side bar mounting plate.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make your own seat mounts to accommodate the roll cage. Mount both without seat adjusters and where the passenger seat is as far back as possible and the driver's (you) fit best. You will never need to adjust the passenger seat and in my case no one will ever drive my car except me. If you need to adjust the drivers position then do it with a peddle box adjuster.

Once you have the drivers seat in it's spot then center the steering wheel in your hands and mount it there. After you have them done then place the peddle box. The peddle box can be off set a bit and you will get used to it. The steering wheel must be near perfect in the center of your hands or you will always regret it.

Mount the shifter last.

Joel K

Supporter
Make your own seat mounts to accommodate the roll cage. Mount both without seat adjusters and where the passenger seat is as far back as possible and the driver's (you) fit best. You will never need to adjust the passenger seat and in my case no one will ever drive my car except me. If you need to adjust the drivers position then do it with a peddle box adjuster.

Once you have the drivers seat in it's spot then center the steering wheel in your hands and mount it there. After you have them done then place the peddle box. The peddle box can be off set a bit and you will get used to it. The steering wheel must be near perfect in the center of your hands or you will always regret it.

Mount the shifter last.

Thank you Howard, this is very helpful on what order to focus on and what is more important. I do have the adjustable pedal mount so that can serve in the rare event someone else will drive the car.

Back