Front engine with a rear mounted 930 transaxle

Thinking out of the box on this one. One project I want to get around to is using a newer Ferrari v8 in a front engined car. Reed51 has a very cool thread about his idea, but I have a different idea and want to hear all the possible downsides.

Ferrari v8's don't have the room to mount a starter motor, so it is difficult to get a "regular" rwd trans to work. I'm thinking why not use a Porsche trans with a self enclosed clutch package driven by a conventional driveshaft. For argument sake take a 930; have a front plate machined to house a large bearing to hold the flywheel and then out the front to a coupler for a driveshaft to turn. If the clutch is mounted at the trans, can the driveshaft inertia be an issue? I don't see how it could be, it would act as a heavier crankshaft is all I see. Ferrari mounts the clutch/flywheel in the very back about 18" away from the crank end. My idea places it more like 40" away.

I wasn't sure if this thread is a transaxle topic or a wings/wheels/keels topic. If I misposted it please move it or let me know know.

Kris:
The 930 box has a starter mount on the front bell, starter gear faces forward with the body of the motor next to the gearbox.
If you can get a flywheel that bolts to the Ferrari and mounts the Porsche clutch you should be in business.
Otherwise check out Corvette drivetrain, they use a shaft at motor speed with the gearbox in the rear similar to what you described.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKpcFJ1pUZ!G-BSeN3wkS!!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqIOKpcFJ1pUZ!G-BSeN3wkS!!~~60_35.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 497
I would have thought it easier to stay with the starter/flywheel up front using a custom made bellhousing or adaptor plate for rear entry starter like the nascar boys use then go torque tube to a manual 928 porsche box . Just thoughts.

Sid

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69015&stc=1&d=1385919237

That's not a bad idea, I hadn't seen a bell housing like that before. An adaptor plate on the Ferrari block and that bell, then you can use a standard rwd trans without a transaxle.

I would have thought it easier to stay with the starter/flywheel up front using a custom made bellhousing or adaptor plate for rear entry starter like the nascar boys use then go torque tube to a manual 928 porsche box . Just thoughts.

Sid

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69015&stc=1&d=1385919237

I don't think that idea will work looking more into those bell housings. Those are for dirt track cars. They don't use conventional transmissions with clutches. There's no way to use a clutch in it. Maybe use that idea, getting a full custom bell made, but I think that'd be more work and WAY more expense than just using a rear mount transaxle.

The problem with the vette transaxle is the forward length of the unit. It takes up HUGE real estate that small coupes just don't have. Been thinking 928 too, but the manual trans are not easy to locate.

I think the 928 has the transmission in front of the differential like the Corvette. I remember seeing one in the salvage yard and looked to see what the configuration was.

Just about every front engine Porsche (except the SUV) places the transmission/differential in the rear of the car.

Back