Gas garage heater advice....

I'd like to install a gas garage heater in my recently (finally!) finished detached garage/workshop. It's a 3 car garage with additional work space and 18 foot ceilings. About 800 square feet. The walls and ceiling are insulated. Gas is plumbed in along with a switched 110V outlet up in one corner of the garage, near the back wall for forced air venting (like to avoid a roof vent).

I'm thinking about 60,000BTUs would be plenty....I'm in Seattle where it's typically 30's and 40's in the winter time. I don't need/want to heat the garage up to 72....just a warmer 55-65 degrees when it's 35 degrees outside.... The garage isn't dusty, I don't do any wood working, won't be painting cars in there, etc. There's two cars lifts (2 post and 4 post), a lathe/mill, tool boxes, long work bench, etc. Pic attached is prior to completing the interior drywall/insulation.

I like the looks/reputation of the Modine units. Big Maxx looks pretty good too....my 7yo son Max would get a kick out of a "Big Maxx" up in the corner. With high ceilings, the unit can be tall-ish (rather than squat and wide) and perhaps fit a little better up in the corner. Don't really know.

Any advice? Sound about right?

Thanks.

Attachments

• garage1.jpg
    garage1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 201
  • garage3.jpg
    garage3.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 205

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff

Over this side of the ond you can get combination boilers
Run on gas - normally about 130 000 btu (Warms a 3 bed house) (In the rip off UK you can get a unit from about £500 upwards)
Plumb in some radiators and it would keep the frost off no problems
Walk in and turn the thermostat on the wall up to 70f (20 celsius) and in 5 mins the place will be at your requested temp.

Now if you also want a sink . shower it will do that too -when you have a hot tap running it turns off the heating and uses the power to make hot water (Continuous hot water). turn tap off and on comes heating again!

Gas boilers from Worcester - Worcester, Bosch Group UK homeowner site

Ian

As Ian said or if you want instant heat the gas one in the mancave at high level at the back can heat the workshop from cold in less than five minutes. Also because its fan driven it does not leave any cold areas.

Bob

Cliff, I had a Modine propane unit in my shop in CT mounted about 7 feet off the floor in the corner. I kept the thermostat at 50 degrees and turned it up to 60 when I was in the shop. Great heater and inexpensive to run. For hot water I would get a wall mounted on demand propane unit, they're small and only come on when you use hot water, whereas a tank unit heats the water when the temp drops and waste power.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
For hot water I would get a wall mounted on demand propane unit, they're small and only come on when you use hot water, whereas a tank unit heats the water when the temp drops and waste power.

+1 for the Hot Water on Demand (HWOD) water heaters...the only thing you need to be aware of is the mineral content in your water supply. My second home is located in a "hard water area" and in the span of 3 years (and there was VERY little usage for two of those years....only about 10 days per year) I "burned out" three units. Apparently the calcium and other minerals in the water get "fused" to the heater elements, which are housed in small canisters (mine uses two 60amp/240V elements). That caused the heater elements to burn out twice and caused the "mother board" to burn out the last time...apparently trying to figure out how to send enough power to the heater elements to get the water up to temperature.

You can fix the issue with a water softener...but, since the home in which my unit is located only gets very limited use each year, I did not want to invest that much $$. I found a "Descaler", which looks like a standard under-counter water filter, like you would place under a kitchen sink for a water spigot, except that the water housing and filter are 24" long. The company from which I purchased both the HWOD and the "Descaler" assured me that the "burn out" issue would be resolved.

Don't think you need the larger unit like I bought...I had planned on operating the home as a "Bed & Breakfast" so I bought enough heating power to satisfy high-demand. A single "burner" unit operating on a 30amp-50amp circuit is totally adequate for a location where there would be no more than one point source of use at a time. When you add a second point of use (such as a shower and a kitchen sink) you run into trouble getting enough hot water...and you get scalded when someone is using water at a second point and turns it off if you're taking a shower.

I absolutely LOVE mine...be aware, though, that they have limitations. If you do not use enough flow, the unit will not turn on...I think you have to use about 0.5gal/minute to activate the unit. When you're showering and you turn the water flow down low enough that you're below the baseline needed to initiate the unit, you'll get a "Cold water sandwich"...the water will be hot when you turn the flow down, when the unit shuts down the water will get cold, then when you turn it back up to reactivate the heater elements you'll get warm water again. You get use to it, but it's a shock the first time.

Of great importance will be the winter temperature of the water supply at your house...check the temperature gain that the unit is capable of and add that to the temperature of the water supply and you'll get the final temperature. It'll naturally be colder in winter than in summer, particularly if you're in the northern states.

The positives....endless hot water....no need to pay to keep a tank of water warm while you're at work, etc....I went all electric because I was peesed off at the natural gas company, but if I had the chance I'd opt for natural gas/propane operation (although you DO have to vent those units and don't need to for electric units)...it'll be cheaper to run.

Between the large-scale HWOD unit I bought (said to be adequate to supply a small "lodge") and the descaler my most recent purchase was over $700.

I think they are a great option for a garage/workshop...when I build mine it will have a full bathroom with a shower/tub/sink and I have no expectations that there will be any problems.

My next HWOD project will be to install under-floor radiant hot water heating for the house, with the hot water provided by a smaller HWOD unit in a closed-loop configuration. For that the fluid needs to be ethylene-glycol (automotive antifreeze). Easy to heat separate zones with a single-"burner" HWOD unit for each zone and a recirculating pump for each zone.

Can solar assist be far behind? Keep in mind that these units can only supply a finite amount of temperature gain, so a passive solar water heating system could increase the temperature of the water going into the HWOD unit, thereby increasing the output temperature...except for electronically controlled units (which mine is), where the output temperature is controlled by the internal processing unit. In that case, the warmer water entering the HWOD would reduce the energy needed to get the water to the temperature set for the output.

Cheers!!

Doug

Malcolm

Supporter
Wall radiators take up too much space as wall space is need for racking, tool cabinets etc. I use one of these suspended from the ceiling in my garage.

Multi-directional heating | Biddle-Climate control and climate separation equipment

It needs a boiler (gas or electric doesn't matter) and keeps my garage of 1600 sq ft warm easily. In fact I have everything turned down to minimum to keep the temperature down to what is desired. Just a flow and return from the boiler plus an electrical supply needed. And it looks cool!

For hot water I run a instant electric hot water heater under my sink.

I presume your garage is already insulated as much as it can be? I also have untreated timber (plywood sheeting, also great for fixing stuff to) on the walls to help keep humidity down so the temperature differentials between surfaces is better than if it was left as stone or concrete.

A long way from the time I used to run up my 40 engine and then open the rear clip and let the heat flow out from there!

Your garage has quite a high roof / ceiling, and as we know, heat rises. The temperature high up will be considerably higher than at working level. Simple air ducts with internal fans will quickly bring hot air down from the roof and circulate it to where you work. I use old 12v radiator fans, surprising how much air they move. Frank

marc

Lifetime Supporter
You may be able to check with some commercial hvac co in your area to recycle a gas unit as part of a retro fit. Also consider the ceramic type units you see at the front of a Lowes or Home Depot as they can be very effective. Keep in mind the distance from ceiling as you can cause very unfortunate problems if too close to ceiling with high BTU units. I am from the HVAC business so, yes I know what I am talking about. Also on the retro unit make sure you get to pick, or can check the burners and electric fan motor. Don't forget the voltage may be 240 or higher so watch that too.

Back