Getting fuel from both tanks with one pump.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Dimi, do you use a single pickup pump? Do you use a reverse flow stop valve of some kind?

Hi Darrin

No I don't use any valve.
The pipe I use for the interconnection is 5/16 which allows the fuel to equalise to the same level and as the single pump draws from one tank it allows the second tank to feed over.
The reason I use 5/16 is that it allows a cross feed without allowing huge amounts of fuel sloshing from one side to the other.

The fillers in my cars are connected together at a higher level which allows filling both tanks from either side but prevents fuel crossover during driving.

Dimi

Thanks Alan.

I just emailed Pegasus to see what the seat pressure needs to be to actuate this valve. The lowest I've seen so far is Summit's at 2PSI. By my calculations, the weight of the fuel in the tank may not be enough to open it even at that so hopefully this one is even less. Of course, if it works for you and your tank is very similar, then I guess it must be even lower (or my math is wrong to begin with).

I have a CAV that came from the factory with a AN 10 line running between tanks which worked great until I park it on a angle all the fuel drained out of one tank to another. So I installed a low pressure check valve which solved the drainage problem. It's a simple solution without too much complications

Pegasus Check Valve https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3606

Three Way Fuel

Shut-off Valve
Three_way_fuel_shut_off_valvehttp:
kinsler.com/NewProducts/Pics/JPG/K_3Way_ShtOffBlk250.jpg
high quality stuff but expensive
I purchased electric fuel shut off to make my efi sys work with two pumps, two tanks and two return lines.
has worked flawlessly

Nice manual option
LLoyd

I can contribute a couple of suggestions on valving, particularly check (one-way) valves. A swing check valve is about as simple and safe as you could get for tank to tank equalization. You can find them that seal bubble tight at zero back-pressure and open at as low a pressure as you chose. If you need hose-end ports, you'll probably want a ball-check valve. Their advantage is lower weight at the expense of higher pressure drop across the valve for a given size. Whichever, if you have a choice, use Viton, not Buna-N seals. Parker has a huge selection of all types of valves, with detailed specs. Aircraft Spruce has aviation-grade selector valves, etc., but, depending on your aversion to flames in the cockpit, they may seem expensive.

For serious engineering types, Pressure Drop Online-Calculator PDA is a detailed online pressure drop calculator for every sort of hose radius, valve and fitting.

As an aside, and for what it's worth, Sunoco devised a simple and reliable automatic fire shut-off for their refinery gasoline storage tanks back in the '70s. It comprised a swing check valve with a lever arm, installed backwards at the base of the tank outlet, and held open by a lead pin. It worked at least once that I know of. I don't know if it's been tried, but you might be able to do the same thing in the engine compartment using a spring loaded shut-off valve, locked open with a low melting-point pin- maybe even a zip tie. Shut off the fuel and/or vent the fire bottle when the link melts
And it occured to me that the multi unit compressor station at Lidy (SP?) Penn. that supplied half of New England with natural gas used one large Halon tank connected to a single hose that wrapped around the 15 or so turbines instead of a single bottle at each one. A fire or explosion at one unit would sever the line and vent the Halon at the point of origin. That might also work in an engine compartment to vent at a specific point instead of trying to fill an entire compartment volume, especially at speed.

Forgive me if these are already discredited automotive ideas. It's late, and I'm just remembering the ohl bidness back in the day,-when you spit on your palm and shook hands.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I was thinking about your problem and am concerned with weight transfer with a 1 way built into it. If you don't use the one way you should put the crossover at the rear of the tanks. There are a number of fuel tanks that have two pickup points. you may pickup some air if your that empty so you should consider a reserve. Airplanes have the same issues as they have wing tanks and need to constantly balance the plane, so you may want to look at the aircraft industry. They are a bit more expensive but simpler solution. My setup is two A1000 pumps with fuel gauges and a regulator that has a 3way valve for the return fuel at the end of the rails. flip of the switch and a twist of the wrist and I go from left to right or vis versa. this also gives me a level of redundancy on the pumps should one fritz on me.

I was thinking about your problem and am concerned with weight transfer with a 1 way built into it. If you don't use the one way you should put the crossover at the rear of the tanks. There are a number of fuel tanks that have two pickup points. you may pickup some air if your that empty so you should consider a reserve. Airplanes have the same issues as they have wing tanks and need to constantly balance the plane, so you may want to look at the aircraft industry. They are a bit more expensive but simpler solution. My setup is two A1000 pumps with fuel gauges and a regulator that has a 3way valve for the return fuel at the end of the rails. flip of the switch and a twist of the wrist and I go from left to right or vis versa. this also gives me a level of redundancy on the pumps should one fritz on me.

I hope you're using a voltage controller with the a1000s .... they like to fail pretty quickly without one. Actually, they like to fail a lot of time regardless; I would only use a Weldon pump.

Back