Greeting from Vancouver, WA

Hi all-

I've been lurking for a while but finally joined. I am interested in building an SLC but might break from the norm with either an Audi V6 3.0TT (S4 or RS4 stroked) or the RS6 V8 (4.2TT) with an 01E transaxle.

So this is what I "think" I'd like to build but I am sure this can/will change. The reason I like the Audi is that I currently have an 01 S4 that is just around 600 CHP (500 AWHP) and in 3.0 with different turbos and supporting mods would be closer to 800+HP (several in the 700 AWHP range) and the transmissions are doing pretty well and obviously the mating issues aren't an issue. I am leaning toward the 4.2TT V8 but even the V6 would be a nice power plant I think. Cost really isnt the issue- I just really like turbocharged motors for some reason. :thumbsup: In the s4 the 2.7TT will get ~25mpg when you drive sanely and it is a 3600lb car (not that mileage would be an issue with the SLC) .

Background- I am currently building an RV7 airplane and own a flying 172 (soon to sell). Have the S4 that I've done all the work on but tuning and generally am not afraid to tackle any project.

Sorry to cut this short but my plane is landing- is there a builders directory on your site that list where others are? I'd love to see an SLC in the flesh.

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. Lots of good SL-C info and folks to share with. I built two of Van's RV3's many, many years ago in Arizona (from plans before the kits existed).

Good to see some fellow pilots/builders on here.

Wow- RV3's from plans is a BIG project. With all the quickbuild and even pre-punched skins on the slow build kits we are spoiled. Heck, the pholgiston (sp?)spars are standard now and have been for at least 5-10 years. Also, I am fortunate to be only about 30-40 min from Vans when I mess something up and a need a new widget.

Are you still flying the 3's?

Welcome from another B5 S4 owner! It's a great platform and either the 2.7 or the 4.2 would be a cool choice for the SLC.

Most SLCs, including mine, are using LS power because those engines are very light for their power, as well as being ubiquitous. But it's great to see different approaches to drivetrains. And of course the 2.7 series would likely give you more room in the engine compartment. The original car had a twin turbo Lexus V8, so there is room for turbos and intercoolers.

Will

Hey Will-

How modified is your S4?

The LS is very, very attractive if for no other reason that the help of others that have built before, and tuning vs. the Audi.

But... that 4.2 in the RS6 with bit bigger snails and a nice tune is pretty potent beast- although I'd likely put a better set of rods in it. Also, I know of an adapter plate already for the 01E to the 4.2.

Lots of research to do and one airplane to sell first-

Dan

Hi Dan,

The S4 is stage 2 with an APR tune, coilovers and Stoptech brakes. It's a great car that I still like even after almost 14 years of driving it. It's even reliable, for an S4, and still on the original clutch and turbos after 135K.

The 4,2 has been transplanted into Ultimas before so no dubt it would fit in an SLC. Still, I assume it would be heavier and less powerful than say, an LS376, as well as more expensive.

Good luck with the plane sale and I know you will enjoy the SLC!

Will

Back