GT40 in new Bond film

During the previews for the Minority Report I just got back from, there was a clip of "Die Another Day," the new Bond film. Caught a quick glimpse of a GT40 in the preview, along with scenes with a 360 Modena and of course the Vanquish.

I remember someone on the board mentioning the car(GT40) being used for the movie.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the GT40 is making some sort of revival as of late. We have the Sheryl Crow video, Fox's Fastlane, the new Bond film, and of course the 'new' Ford GT40. I hope the car doesn't get too popular. I really don't want to drive around in mine (maybe 18 months away) and pass another going by the opposite direction. The cars exclusivity is part of the appeal.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Jon ]

I agree. And I said essentially that in my comments to Ford regarding the new GT40. They need to keep it exclusive, and buying one has to be about more than just the money. I went so far as to suggest to them that they only sell them to people who have track experience - a racing license or high-performance driving course like Bondurant, Skip Barber, Jim Russell, or Derek Daly. I really think it'll be a shame if a bunch of people with more money than ability go out and buy one because they can and then wrap it around a tree. In my email to Ford, I said "let them drive Porsches."

I feel the same way about the replicas, btw. If you're spending as much money and time as you have to to build one, you should certainly spend the few thousand extra on the "driver upgrade."

G

The 40 in the Bond film is a GTD and there is a write up on it on the GTD 40s Car Club web site at
www.gtd40club.co.uk

It says how the car got to be in the film and if I remember rightly has some pictures of how it came back! I also beleive the car is for sale! One careful owner?

Malcolm

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

I believe that the Bond car is one done by Mark Sibley and has lots of nice upgrades. If one of you guys is looking for a nice car and can tolerate the right hand steering it is a nice package and would make a fun ride.

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: 40bud ]

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: 40bud ]

MikeDD:
I guess I view the new GT40 as really nothing more than an advertising campaign by Ford - the sales will have essentially no direct impact on Ford's bottom line. But the point is to drive sales, and therefore they can have a large indirect impact. Looked at that way, every owner of a new GT40 is in effect an extended part of Ford's sales team. Ford probably could just give away the first year's production and write the whole thing off as an advertising expense, but since the demand is there they might as well sell them. I can see where dealers might be tempted to sell to the highest bidder and take the short-term profits, but that may well be at the expense of longer-term gains. The cars have to be seen to have an impact, and they have to be driven to be seen (OK, you're right - the dealers could just hang on to them and park them in the showroom to draw people in). But it won't project the image Ford wants if people run 'em off the road and such. Nor does it project the right image if people drive 'em like grannys (at least that's my opinion on the matter). Selling to a "favored" customer is probably a reasonable approach because such a customer is likely to be a good ambassador for Ford. But suppose included in the purchase price was a 3-day Bondurant driving school so the buyer could learn how to drive the thing properly? Wouldn't that be a reasonable thing for Ford to do?

Steve

I think Ferrari includes a driver ed coarse with their higher $$ cars. But I don't think
any else does. Not a bad idea.

Most dealers will use their GT40 as a babe
(guy?) magnet until it's serevd it's purpose
and then out the door it goes. That's the way many Dodge dealers sold their Vipers
and Prowlers. The new owners had to leave them on the floor for 6 months before taking
delivery.

And of course the new GT40 ia all about publicity. Why else would you expect Ford to build it? To make money? Of course not...
volume would never be large enough.
Sadly, Ford has always left that market to the Corvette.

MikeDD

Jon

I don't think you have to worry about GT40s becoming too common. The cost and
unpractical nature will keep the population
low enough.

As for as keeping them out of the hands of those that will buy it only as a "status" symbol...that's a hopeless cause.

Most Ford dealers (that don't keep their allotment themselves) will sell to the highest bidder or their "favored" customer.
They are not concerned who owns these cars.
Why should they?

MikeDD
that do

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I think I can tolerate right-hand drive
smile.gif

Where would be a good place for such a driving course in the UK?

Alsorts - but expensive - depends on vehicle - you could try Robb Gravett at http://www.ultimatecarcontrol.com/ for example or take an instructor on a test day - over the years there have also been various road based people such as Bernard Aubry for Porsche (who inlcude a day of training with new 911 turbos - but very few accept the offer)

After much planning and research, all I really have to say is this. But officer, I was only in first gear. Working for an internet company, I got to see a lot of people waste stock money on some wonderful cars. When I deceided on the mark 2, all I heard was wow, wish I would have bought one. The person who said that ordered a S7. Thats exclusive.

Back