GT40 prototype floor and center tunnel details

Very interesting David. I'm still none the wiser as to what was used throughout GT103/GT104.

GT101 looks like it has a number of swages that could have been rolled in with a genny, which is what you would expect on the first one. 4 number longitudinal on the driver side and 3 passenger side. Then an equal number diagonal ones further back.

I thought I had found a photo that shows the number plates being switched between GT109 and P1005 but they are slightly different registration plates. 1005 is prefixed by a W whilst 109 is prefixed by an R

GT104 testing at Riverside in late 64 early 65 prior to the Daytona win on 28/02/65 as it still does not have its Hairbands, Radiator refill valve, oil refill flap or the canards used at Daytona.
David Freedman almost got low enough to see the underside when taking the photo.

Looks like the one above in post #23 must be GT103, as the one below looks to have the same rear vision mirror as GT104 and it came out nose first on a wet day/different flight as the plane and lift are parked in a different spot on the tarmac?

Was going through Pintrest, and it popped up a link to an image on the Gelscoe site.

The images are of GT105 during its restoration at Gelscoe in 2012!

front nose being restored to original specification.

Note the vertical suspension attachment point and the different bracing back to the rear of the wheel arch which were features of the early chassis.
214.jpg

both foot box reinforcement sections have been opened up to check for corrosion. You can also see that the square section over the rib i was interested in finishes directly at the side of the foot box inner skin on the far passenger side of the vehicle. This is different to what is shown in GT103 as i cant see the tabs that are folded back to meet the side of the foot box. It also seems to have some additional changes in section around the center of the vehicle where the coolant pipes and central tunnel run. You can also clearly make out where the front anti roll bar attaches
221.jpg

Seems to be more internal bracing inside the foot box reinforcements that can be seen to the right, behind where the front roll bar attaches. in combination with the photo above, it looks like the front suspension pick up point cavity, in between the verticals in the first photo, runs all the way to the bottom of the chassis which is something I had not noticed in other photos. This then begs the question; did they raise the rear lower pick up in the later cars? doing this would increase the anti-dive on the front suspension.

222.jpg

Can anyone make out any details that would suggest that the front had been changed with the replacement of the front nose support structure. The car is fitted with the later production support structure in these photos, or different to the drawings in GT40 uncovered. I have been CAD drawing the original drawings, I will update my build diary with those cad images shortly.

Ryan

the history lessons continue each time I find another photo.

Another image, this time from the restoration of P1066 to show the difference. Also on the Gelscoe site.
Note the battery mounting supports in the passenger footwell.

225.jpg

Last edited:
Blue and red strip is the car prepared for Ford France and driven by Jo Schlesser and Guy Ligier:

I’m not sure.

White with Blue/red stripe as per ford France was chassis P1003, P1007 and P1020 (currently at Lemans Museum) and Ronnie Spain also lists a few other races that those two drivers races but does not list the chassis number?

GT109 Roadster was raced by Ford France at the 65 lemans race. #15, Drivers Trintignant & Ligier result is listed as a DNF in Ronnie’s book.

Back