GT40-ready Dash-1 ZF for sale

Hi guys,

A friend of mine (who runs the worldwide De Tomaso Mangusta website, Mangusta International - Welcome) has a Mangusta ZF gearbox for sale. Rebuilt by Dennis Quella, with a thousand miles on it, and slight blemishes on the case.

Mangusta ZF Dash-1 gearbox for sale

Significantly, because it was originally set up for a Mangusta, it runs in the 'proper' orientation and needs no modification to bolt straight up to a GT40 with the appropriate bellhousing, which potentially saves a bunch of money vice purchasing a Pantera gearbox.

However, Dash-1 gearboxes such as this use a different bolt pattern from the much-more-common Dash-2 (to include the current-production RBT gearbox), so you may have to get an original-style bellhousing from Safir--or at the very least, ensure the bellhousing you get will accommodate the early bolt pattern. I don't know if the Kennedy etc. bellhousings are drilled for both types?

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Mike,

Probably worth mentioning that the dash 1 has a shorter input shaft that uses a crank adapter on the Mangusta. I believe the 'Goose' also uses a modified Chevy 10 spline clutch with the nose machined off to clear the adapter. What I'm not sure of is if this is due to a unique bellhosuing in that application; if not it'd be worthwhile checking that the transaxle is sold complete with the crank adapter as shown below.

Attachments

• crank_adapter.jpg
    crank_adapter.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 211
Hey Mike,

Probably worth mentioning that the dash 1 has a shorter input shaft that uses a crank adapter on the Mangusta. I believe the 'Goose' also uses a modified Chevy 10 spline clutch with the nose machined off to clear the adapter. What I'm not sure of is if this is due to a unique bellhosuing in that application; if not it'd be worthwhile checking that the transaxle is sold complete with the crank adapter as shown below.

It's actually a hybrid clutch; standard Chevy disc with a modified Ford pressure plate! Centerforce actually sells a ready-to-go Mangusta/early Pantera clutch setup that bolts right in.

I forgot about the crank adapter. I can't remember if it's necessary in all applications, or even what it's function is?

Back