GTD on ebay UK. BEWARE!

Barn find genuine 1989? Were silicone hoses available then? or am I being cynical. I hope it is an honest advert but it does leave some unanswered questions.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The seller has some other items for sale - a strange mixture of things. There is no road registration so it would be a nightmare to get through SVA if it is a genuine item. I would echo Simon's warning about not parting with any money without actually seeing and collecting the car. They are not keen for anyone to view what is a quite expensive item.
Cheers
Mike

Keith

I read the ad and had a vision:

Potential bidder: "I'd like to view the car please"

Seller: "Are you serious"?

Bidder: "Well it has been known, yes, it depends what you mean by serious"

Seller: "Are you seriously interested in buying the car?"

Bidder: "I can't imagine why I would phone you otherwise, except maybe to ask you if I could kick the tyres a bit"

Seller: You're not serious, fuck off."

Bidder: "It was just a joke really - hello? hello?......"

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, whatever else it has, that is NOT a bundle of snakes/crossover exhaust system, unless I miss my guess. It's a bundle, and it's snakey, but it's not a BOS exhaust. None of the pipes cross over, do they?

And, no, I don't think they did have those hoses in 1989. The whole thing stinks. People who are going to spend that kind of dosh have a right to see what they are thinking about buying, this is ridiculous. It isn't chump change.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Stranger yet. The bids are now at £30,000! See bid history below. The exhaust pipes shown look like the original GTD ones which don't cross over.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• BIDSW.jpg
    BIDSW.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 275
"bidder 12" wants his head looking at IMHO!

WHY oh WHY would anybody buy a part finished and incomplete GTD for 30K when they could buy a fully finished and very nice looking Tornado for less? (also on ebay)

still smells a bit to me..........:stunned:

Malcolm

Supporter
The chassis number does match up to my records as a 1986 car. It was the 43rd productionised car made by GTD. The blue hoses may have been put on to enable the engine to be fired up to help sell the car as a runner. The rest of it looks early GTD and from the description I would suspect it is a genuine ad (no warranty given of course!). My reading of the advert now he has added some extra wording is that he will allow genuine bidders to view the car. If we each were to sell our own 40's, would you want any old Tom Dick or Harry coming to view the car so as to try and get a ride for a laugh? I suspect we would try to word our advert to put off time wasters. We do not know the circumstances of the seller or the car owner. And if he sells it for way more than we would be willing to pay, good luck to him is my view. Should I ever sell my car, I wish I could be so lucky.

Last edited:
Interesting the way "bidder 12" took the bidding up from £12,000 to £30,000 (which must have been where the reserve is/was by the way) all within 10 mins.
Simon

Last edited:

Keith

Interesting the way "bidder 12" took the bidding up from £12,000 to £30,000 (which must have been where the reserve is/was by the way) all within 10 mins.
Simon

Er, try 1 minute 30 secs Simon :shocked:

What's that all about? Bidding against himself? Having a laugh?

WTF? Even if it's automatically bidding up to his max, wouldn't the "inferior" bid also be shown? :huh:

Ah, I know what's happened. He's had a few jars down the boozer, come home checked the progress and fell asleep on the keyboard...:drunk:

Sorry, don't get it...

With ebay, what happens is if you bid and DON'T bid above the reserve, your bid stays just above the previous bidder. When you bid above the reserve, your bid sticks.
I would suppose the reserve must have been set at £30,000!
(still stinks)

Malcolm

Supporter
You know, Simon, considering how sensitive you have been over people questioning your sales of cars and parts in the past, you do seem determined to black mark this ad.

Isn't 30K for an unfinished GTD from 1986 a bit steep though? A new CAV kit isn't that much more, and trying to get the car registered would be a nightmare. a car designed in the 80s isn't going to get through the IVA easily.

You know, Simon, considering how sensitive you have been over people questioning your sales of cars and parts in the past, you do seem determined to black mark this ad.

HUH?
The sole purpose of this post was to make people aware this COULD be some sort of scam.
At NO point did I say it WAS a scam, at NO point did I say it was a bad car, at NO point did I say it was not value for money (although why somebody would pay MORE for a part finished car than for a fully completed, registered and road legal car is quite beyond me).
Please excuse me for trying to be helpful to my fellow forum members, maybe I just shouldn't bother any more!
Simon

Hi Jimmy,

I suppose with the right help and advice it would be just as easy as any other. But its finding that help and advice. Its things like the windscreen needs to be E-marked, I dont know wether a windscreen from another manufacturer would fit the GTD.

In anycase its alot easier to get through IVA with a kit that is still in production.

Malcolm

Supporter
"bidder 12" wants his head looking at IMHO!

WHY oh WHY would anybody buy a part finished and incomplete GTD for 30K when they could buy a fully finished and very nice looking Tornado for less? (also on ebay)

still smells a bit to me..........:stunned:

And a later post says

"Still Stinks"

These quotes seem to paint a contrary picture to that above although I agree, you haven't said it is a bad car.

Back