Hello from Worcestershire UK

Long term admirer of GT40's here.

About a year ago I had the chance to sit in a 20 year old Tornado model, but found at 6ft I couldn't get my head below the door shut line easily. I was gutted.

A year on and the owner of said car has made some changes to the seat and voila I now fit....., just ;). I'm used to raw cars having owned caterhams, an Ariel Atom and a Lotus 2-11, so a GT40 seems a fun car to own.

Having just sold my Lotus Evora , I've got around £30k for next toy. Do I stand a chance of getting into a second hand GT40 rep for this or do I need to go to reserve list of Cobras and Stratos's reps ?

All advice welcome, even if bad news for me :sad:

Cheers Dave

Mike Pass

Supporter
Welcome Dave,
I would suggest that you join the GT40 Enthusiasts Club and meet up with your local group. You will get to meet some good guys and get to experience a range of cars and specifications. Replica GT40s generally are worth the sum of what is in them. They do seem to be creeping up in price along with the classic market. There is a lot to learn about the cars as there are so many types and options. They do have a major advantage that you get a lot less wet when it rains as it has been known to do in this country.
Your budget is not unrealistic for something like a GTD. I would suggest that you drive one as they are very different to what you are used to as they are heavy in comparison and use torque not power to get up and go. They wake up when they are used as they were originally designed. Height wise you will fit and you can always fit a dropped floor or a "gurney bubble".
Look at as many cars as you can and ask a million questions. There will be several cars on the club stand at the NEC Classic Car Show at the NEC. I think 14th to 16 th November.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike.

Been trying to keep away from the classic car show as a dangerous place for me to be with cash in the bank ;). Any idea of which make of GT40 reps will be there ?

Cheers Dave

Dave, from a personal opinion stick to looking at GTD or the SouthernGT, other makes, particularly early versions, are recorded on this and other sites as possibly a poor investment, and as you will want to retain as much of your investment in resale value should you wish to sell it later this is a big consideration.

Hi Frank. Very valid point re resale, as ideally I would like to own a car for 6 months to ensure its right for me. If I love the car I might invest in a new build. Either way I would want to move the car on at minimal/sensible loss. Lost my shirt on too many cars over the years, including an Ultima I never got around to building ;(

Hi Dave

You'll glean a lot of information from speaking to club members.

The midlands club members meet at the Toby Inn at Stonebridge (just off M42/A45) on the first Tuesday of each month at around 7.30 to 8.00pm, so our next meeting is on Tuesday. Within 10 minutes we could give you a decent list things that should be considered when buying a GT40. It's also quite a good social group, as we try to arrange trips out (e.g. to Classic Le Mans this year), plus other events, plus most of us are 'hands-on', so we can give you the benefit of our experience.

We're also organising the NEC classic car show, so it may be worth popping along as previously mentioned. We'll have a decent array of cars on the stand, and can run through the pros and cons of each if that helps.

You're also not a million miles away from Tornado cars in Kidderminster. It may be worth speaking to Andy to see if he knows of any cars that need a new home.

It would be great to see you at either the club meeting or the NEC.

I hope this helps!

Darren

Will try to make the next meet and the NEC show.

Spoke to Tornado earlier this week actually. Doesn't seem to be any cars coming up imminently but I shall arrange a Saturday visit to see their latest model in a few weeks time. A years lead time on Turn key cars.

Dave

Mike Pass

Supporter
What looks like Ray Christopher's ally monocoque car is on Ebay. For those who do not know Ray is "Mr GTD" and also the man behind the Mini with GTD chassis and the V8 milkfloat! car will be up for auction.

Ford GT40 Replica | eBay

The last time I saw it was when he ran it at the Manx Classic in 2008. Here is a pic of this car at the esses on the Sloc hillclimb.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Ray sloc 2008.jpg
    Ray sloc 2008.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 216

Mike Pass

Supporter
Better pic. Ray with his back to the camera chatting to Bjorn Arnils.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Ray Sloc.jpg
    Ray Sloc.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 234

Keith

An intriguing car and what a project for someone getting it road legal.

I am somewhat relieved to note that the engine has a "one piece crankshaft" otherwise it could prove a somewhat noisy lump.. :)

Did notice that car, but quickly noted the point it's not registered for the road. Bit bizarre that it has a reg though ?

Back