How are your Finances Looking After the New Year?

Keith

I don't know about you, but I had a bit (no a lot) of a shock yesterday when I received my final period energy bill.

It may not sound much to you guys but just over £400 for the 13 weeks is a lot of money to me, especially when you consider my pension is but £532 monthly.

This is the real meaning of "fuel poverty", and it's the "Green Taxes" that have pushed us over the edge. I'm all for helping to contribute to a greener (I'm beginning to hate that word) less wasteful lifestyle, but I am already sitting here with a blanket over me and the ambient temperature of my home is vital to my health. (70 degrees living room, 68 degrees bedroom). I know I am not the worse off either, and that figure (my energy cost) has DOUBLED in 12 months. Frankly, it's a f****ing disgrace.

In the scrambled world of contemporary politics, the Govt pays out a lump sum Winter Fuel Payment to EVERYBODY over 65. This is not means tested so even if you own a marble palace and have an annual income of millions, you're still going to get it.

I received £200 very gratefully, but so did Sir Alan Sugar. It doesn't seem right at all, in fact it AIN'T! Why on earth don't the current Govt repeal this stupid nonsense?

Anyone else feeling the pinch right now and adjusting their 'want' list to a 'need' list?

Everyone has had the choice to switch suppliers and follow the cheapest prices, for over a decade. In that time, less than 50% of people could be bothered. Of businesses, only around 30% engaged in the market and switched. Of those that did, more than half never switched again, after doing it once.

Skip ahead ten years and everyone starts crying about how energy companies are unfair and charge too much, expecting governments to create evermore legislation to protect them from their own lethargy.

We see similar demands for increased legislation regarding food. "Protect me"' cry the people, "for I shall get fat if you don't protect me".

Anyway, back to energy. Consumers have been so lazy and apathetic, that the energy companies have learnt that they need not be as competitive they could be, because no one bothers to do anything about it.

Why should any business be expected to make less money, if they can reasonably expect to make more? It is not the responsibility of a supplier, to save a consumer money. It is the responsibility of the consumer to find the best deal they can, or accept they may be paying more than they could?

It really is that simple in this case.

As for the elements that make the final charges, then yes, the green, stealth and not so stealth taxes that have been levied, make up a huge part of our bills these days, but I'll wager most businesses pay 12 to 15p per unit, when I could be getting them 10p, with the green elements remaining the same.

Keith

Well, thank you for the commercial break young Peekford. Had I realised it was all going to be my fault I would have reconsidered the action.

Strangely, when I re-read it, I couldn't find any references to specific energy companies or their price tariffs for I know not why or how they charge what they do, so with 3/4 of your post dedicated to a rant against the consumer, I feel very humbled and cowed by your mighty rhetoric.

Incidentally, I have changed supplier within the last 36 months but boy, I wished I hadn't because this mob seem intent on cheating me out of my 'Warm Home 'Discount' even though they know they've paid me before.

Incidentally, do you know it's possible to get Hypothermia in a temperature of 67.5 degrees Fahrenheit?

Ask me how I know..... :worried:

Sorry for the rant. I do that a lot lately!

I do agree that fuel poverty is real and unfair, especially in this supposedly modern era. However, I cannot blame anyone but the consumer, fir the way they are treated, by businesses, not only energy companies. We see it from banks, insurance companies, pay day lenders, virtually every avenue of commercial life. we see the same practices from our elected leaders and representatives.

We let them all run a muck, by doing absolutely nothing about it. Then when they have taken it too far, we expect them all to knuckle down and play 'fair'.

You know Keith, the the market decides the price it can bare. The consumer has all of the power, but none of the brains.

I know this will probably alienate me even further, but I grew up in a home without Central heating, or double glazing, or loft insulation. We didn't die from it and neither did my Grand Parents, who according to them, had it even tougher than we did!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...and it's the "Green Taxes" that have pushed us over the edge. I'm all for helping to contribute to a greener (I'm beginning to hate that word) less wasteful lifestyle...

Congrats, Keith. I believe you're beginning to understand what "green energy" really refers to AND into whose pockets all the "green" flows.

But, to address your question, my electric power bill about doubled for the month of December...but, that was due to all the Christmas lights being on so much (we hang a bazillion of them). 'House is heated 'courtesy' of natural gas, so it's not been too bad...mainly because 1.5 years ago, we installed a new, 97% efficient, forced air furnace. So, where I used to pay, say, $600 for a month wherein a Northeaster blew for 2 weeks, I now pay about $375-$400 (USD)...and that includes the 'gas that fires two 40 gal hot water tanks...and the overhead forced air furnace in my detached garage ('kept at 65 degrees).

(Edit: And we also now set our 'smart thermostat' at 74 degrees during the day instead of 78...which then automatically drops to 70 degrees at night during "sleep" hours.)

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mark, I agree that consumers are sometimes their own worst enemies, however I can sympathise with pensioners and those that suffer fuel poverty because of unfair green taxes imposed because of flawed and mis-represented science.

Mark, I agree that consumers are sometimes their own worst enemies, however I can sympathise with pensioners and those that suffer fuel poverty because of unfair green taxes imposed because of flawed and mis-represented science.

As do I Pete, wholeheartedly. The point I failed to make, was that everyone's bills could have been so much lower through engaging the market and that even with the current rate of greens bs taxes and other charges included, I come across folks paying 30 to 40 % more than they need to. You do not need legislation to solve that problem! Just like you do not need legislation to help people stop being fat.

The green levies should be dropped anyway.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Best thing i ever did heating wise, was invest in a WW2 era wood burner, the kind you found in an RAF Nissen hut. Then i visited a few local joinery shops and offered to save them a mint taking their off cuts away. It heats the whole place. Chuck some coal on before bed, shut it right down and its still toastie at 6 am.
I log my gas & electric usage online. Last winter Brit Gas clearly didn't believe my meter readings, £32 for the winter, so they sent out an Inspector...pricks

Mike Pass

Supporter
Just switched to npower from EDF as they have a deal to fix the price of gas and electricity until the end of 2017. It is a gamble as to which way to jump but I may be right in thinking that they will inevitably only ever go up. I believe EDF have a similar deal but it does not go on as long. I use money expert to compare deals and switch to what looks like the best bet when current deal runs out. I guess we are all going to be ripped off. We only have control over how much.
Cheers
Mike

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Last winter Brit Gas clearly didn't believe my meter readings, £32 for the winter, so they sent out an Inspector...pricks

You have to bear in mind though, Charlie, that there are a lot of people who mess with their meters. So, when your meter reading honestly registers low numbers, they aren't going to know YOU are on the up-and-up unless they do investigate. See what I mean? They're actually pro-active where possible thievery may be happening. 'Bottom line is that this tactic could end up saving everybody a rate hike.

I don't know about you, but I had a bit (no a lot) of a shock yesterday when I received my final period energy bill.

It may not sound much to you guys but just over £400 for the 13 weeks is a lot of money to me, especially when you consider my pension is but £532 monthly.

This is the real meaning of "fuel poverty", and it's the "Green Taxes" that have pushed us over the edge. I'm all for helping to contribute to a greener (I'm beginning to hate that word) less wasteful lifestyle, but I am already sitting here with a blanket over me and the ambient temperature of my home is vital to my health. (70 degrees living room, 68 degrees bedroom). I know I am not the worse off either, and that figure (my energy cost) has DOUBLED in 12 months. Frankly, it's a f****ing disgrace.

In the scrambled world of contemporary politics, the Govt pays out a lump sum Winter Fuel Payment to EVERYBODY over 65. This is not means tested so even if you own a marble palace and have an annual income of millions, you're still going to get it.

I received £200 very gratefully, but so did Sir Alan Sugar. It doesn't seem right at all, in fact it AIN'T! Why on earth don't the current Govt repeal this stupid nonsense?

Anyone else feeling the pinch right now and adjusting their 'want' list to a 'need' list?

Of course it should be a means tested, this is typical fuck up like anything the government get involved with. These winter payments should only go to those that need them, the same should apply for child allowance .Its penny wise and pound foolish not to keep our elderly warm, a short stay in a hospital being treated for pneumonia or any serious cold condition would cost tens of thousands. Anyway its 2014 now so why the fuck should our elderly and bedbound be denied the " privilege " to keep warm?

Bob

Perhaps somewhere in a dark corridor, there's a planning committee, who's job it is to see the population numbers drop?

Back