I want such a gearbox for my car

Hi ,
last wednesday i had the pleasure to participate on a BMW drivers education for a national race license.
it took place on SALZBURGRING in AUSTRIA. The training cars where M3 Coupes, equipped with 420 HP high RPM V8; doubleclutch 7 speed paddelshifted gearbox, ATB differential, sport brake pads and a datalogging and video system.

Waking up in the morning on a high altitude hotel i looked out the window and saw big and heavy snow. I thought by myself, sh...!! Arriving at the track the snow had turned into constant rain.
After having a chance to run the first laps, all my dissappointment was gone and has turned into pure excitement about this car. Although the track was permanently wet (the instructors doesn´t allowed us to go faster than 200 km/h on the straights due to aquaplaning) we coud measure lateral g forces around and slightly above 1g ( check the g datas in the middle of the instruments) . This coupe is so nice to drive. It gives very transparent feedback about what it does and is therefore perfectly to control.
THe High RPM engine sounds great and has a lot of power. The most amazing thing on this car is the gearbox. you can run in automatic mode , shift with the stick or with the paddels. THe shifting speed can be adjusted with a toggle switch from smooth and slow to realy quick and harsh ( this was my adjustment). It is just so much fun to shift without having to take of the hands of the steering wheel. Due to the wet conditions i shortshifted for better traction.
We where groups of 5 cars behind the instructor (on of the instructors was Claudia Hürtgen a fast german touring car race driver). My instructors name was fritz and a very funny guy. After talking to him in the break about my racing experience, i put pressure on him when it was up to me to run directly behind him. This forced him into ABS braking almost before every turn. in this lap we where considerably faster than the other guys ( you can see my codriver looking back where they are, after i have slowed down for let them pass again.
You can watch this lap as of 02:10
lap time with the slow speed on the straights was still around 1:55
Friends of mine race there P Gt3´s there regularly and achieve around 1:30 in the dry ( if they are very good 1:28) . I´m shure i could have managed around 1:45 at least, if i where allowed free laps, which is pretty fast for a stock car on street tires ( Bridgestone RE 050) in this conditions.
This car just needs to get rid of 300 kg ( could be achieved by throwing out all this luxury stufff), a decent rollcage and sticky semislicks. Than off to the track and hunt P´s. And this all for 75.000 Euros. Awesome!

The datalogger and video equipment was quite nice too. One just need to plug in a prepared USB memory stick. Take it of after the session is finished and watch the whole thing on your pc. I have cut down the 25 Min vid to a condensed 5 min version. THe sound is very realistic, it was achieved by putting a mic into the airbox.

YouTube - Salzburg1404210.wmv

I want such an gearbox for my car. Getrag makes on for F´s. but i don´t even dare to ask for the price and for the costs of making it work ( electronics !!).

TOM

Last edited:
really bad weather overthere...(not really nice for a fast drive)
sounds good the engine and gearbox.
Wiesmann also uses those engine and gearbox in the MF4-S roadster and the MF4-S GT and they weight around 1200<>1300kg I believe

Back