KVA Type A For Sale - Should I or shouldn't I ?

After years of lurking in the background and absorbing as much as I can about GT40 replica ownership I'm thinking of 'taking the plunge'. Recently been offered a Type A KVA with proper 302 Ford V8 and Renault 21 Turbo transaxle.

It's not certain when it was built as it has had 5 owners but by all accounts it was put together some time in the late 1980s. The 302 was installed by its present owner in 2003. He has had it for 10 years and has only done 5000 miles in it. It's registered as a 1967 Ford so is tax exempt.

Recently had a new MOT and appears to be bodily sound although I haven't physically seen it yet.

Asking price is £22500. What do you guys think about the Type A . Anything I should be aware of. I know it won't be as technically sophisticated as more modern replicas but it's at a price that , almost, meets my budget. Any thoughts, opinions or advise would be appreciated.

I really considered this car before my new found love came along, I did not travel to see the car but It looks finished well, but the only concern I had was the 'Tina front end and drum brakes on the rear running a 302, at that price you could afford to modify the chassis, which is what I would of done, I was going to call Southern GT and ask them as they used to make an chassis section.
If you can weld then there is quite a bit of information on how to modify the chassis yourself.

Hard choice as I was there, but its 22.500 for that reason, don't think you would loose money.

The guy who owns it seemed like a very genuine chap.

All the best
Grant

I guess it's fair to say that the Type as is perhaps the least loved 40 replica.

I've priced my kits so you can build a nice one from scratch with a 302 and Audi box etc for under £20k.

D

The registration is a big factor to consider, but I agree, the type A is a little 'iffy'.

If you can do the work yourself, it could upgrade nicely, but even then, to get it right could cost quite a bit of the hard-earned. But not needing SVA (or whatever they call it these days) and being reg'd as a 67 Ford, likely it would be worth good money after the upgrades etc.

Something to consider is, could you live with it as is?

Back