Lola T70 % Porsche 906

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies to my posting, ‘Reply to Chris Melia and Chris Notley’.

We should be talking GT40s but I’m sure Ron Earp and Hershal Byrd won’t mind if we digress for just half a minute……..

Thanks Chris M for the pics of the 906. I agree it would make a great replica. When I visited Franco Sbarro in Switzerland in July last year I noticed the body of either a 906, a 908 or a 910 in one corner. Despite being an ex-Porsche man who was closely involved with the 904 I didn’t take much notice as I was discussing other projects with Franco. This crazy, innovative workaholic has designed and built 167 cars since 1965, some way out and wacky, including a massive dragster powered by a V12 Spitfire Merlin engine that he bought from the Swiss air force.
I faxed Franco yesterday to ask about the Porsche and whether it was a replica or an original being restored.

At Killarney’s classic race on Sunday both heats of one specific class were won by German optometrist Bernd Becker in his 910. The car is phenomenally quick and a CAV GT40 in Gulf colours hanging it out sideways could make no impression.

Interesting that MK-1V J6, Datonabill and MikeDD mention the Lola T70. What car is that. I don’t understand English!

Onwards and forwards!
Andre 40

Hi Andre

If you say you don't understand English you should try talking with Ray Christopher, as I understand that he had his Lola T70 moulds for sale a little while ago.
I think the T70 would be a fine track and show car but a little awkward for the English roads.
Regards,
Chris

Hi Mike

I know Derek is joint owner of the T70 moulds, I was just trying to understand Andre's comment on not understanding English!
I think that a GT40 is a hand full on our small congested English roads, but the extra size and poor rear vision of the T70 coupe would make it a nightmare on our roads.
I suppose it would be OK on the freeways of the USA, or the long desert roads of Arizona or even out in Australia but not the UK.

Chris

So you're saying that the Yankee poor visibility compensation program (commonly known as "drive faster than everyone else") doesn't work over there?

Your pal,
Meat.

G

T70 is great for french roads& higways !!!
If you restart the production (which would be a great idea !) put a MkIIIb on the side please !!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Fred
p.s : i'll miss only the lmk917 and i'd be the happyest man on this earth !

Fred

If you are really interested, you should contact Derek Bell ASAP.

Chris

Since I've never seen a T-70 in the flesh,
and certainly never side by side with a GT40,
I guess I assumed they were comparable size.
No?

Also, I believe Andre understands English.
You don't think he's trying to tell us something....do you?

MikeD

Chris

Talk to Derek Bell. He gave me the impression
that he and Ray were going to put the T-70 back into production. Do you see any disadvantage to running a T-70 on the road
compared to the GT40?

MikeD

Does not bother me, but i just read post that was closed about only talking of GT40ies...
Seems silly to talk about other stuff when some topics are closed ?
A lot in the related areas interests me.
But if we are going to bann a few.
Just ban all non GT40 related ones...
Anyway, just my own opinion...
wink.gif

Hi Chris !

I meant that, if we are not to discuss Cobra´s etc.., why would we talk about other things ?
(Shelby´s crew was very much involved..into gt40ies)
As the topic about the Daytona coupé was closed...
I like to hear about them and others.
And related stories, but not fiction.
I like facts...
Those can be read elswere...
I am not against Lola or the like.
Quite the opposite.
The issue what i meant was, allow them all or just the GT40.
Lola´s involment can be bebated forever...
It is like who´s the GT40 ?
English or US ?...
Depends on how you see it..

CAV is of course into GT40 kits...
No dought about it..
My issue was all or GT40ies...

I like Jim´s stories as well..etc..

Maybe i got my post wrong, it did miss a few words.
Too fast written...

But i feel strongly that rules should be for all.
All or nothing !(related or other..)
Personally, i like to hear about car´s of a somewhat similiar age, from the 60s etc...
And in about the same class...
My personal view....

Regards
Marco

wink.gif

Marco,
You are obviously disturb about the Burning Lady thread. The person who started that thread is looking to do just what you are doing. He comes into these forums and starts this controvercial crap then sits back and watches people on here get into freedom of speech arguements. Now he had no intention of discussion on the merits of the Daytona coupe or any other type of Shelby. He was posting here for other reasons. His first post and he starts controversy. His profile is incomplete. I would have sent him an e mail but he listed none. You may discuss any type of sports car and or other types here and nobody watching this board is going to censor or lock your words. But the minute you start to insite a controversy over a subject that has no value here then we will remove it. I look at this place no different than if I was visiting Ron's house. I will be respectful and courtious to all. I'm sure that if you were having a party and somebody you didn't know comes in and starts
trouble you would have them removeed. Thats what we did. Sorry if this seems to be an irratant to you. I know of no better method of keeping this board clean. It's not a difficult thing to challenge anothers opinion if you are diplomatic about it.
As far as the 2287 Daytona coupe goes..I too was interested and read all about it over a year ago. Good story.. The mystery poster was more into Mr. Spector than he was about the Coupe. A fishing expositon....

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

Yes i was disturbed.
I tought we were not to speak about the Daytona´s etc..
But others were allowed..
Tought that was the issue.
Now i understand what you mean.
So i am not disturbed anymore.
I read the facts, mostly(on cars)
The story tale´s, i just skip...
There are sometimes good articles, otherwise

I am glad you straightened this out...
I read about it earlier also, but am interested if news turns up or about related 60s cars in general etc..

So, i have no objections...
I just want to talk about cars...

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

Please stop posting links to these beautiful cars. I'm having a hard time getting any work done.

Thanks,
Neal
wink.gif

P.S. Any chance you can get my investment portfolio charged up enough to afford more of these?!

Hey Hersh

Thanks for clarifying "the policy".
I know we occassionally stray from GT40
specific topics, but so long as it doesn't
get out of hand (and I'm sure you or Ron
will let us know if it does), I'd like to
continue to discuss "relevant" issues
pertaining to "GT40 period" cars
if the Forum members don't mind.

After all, if there was no Lola, Ferrari,
Porsche sports racers, then Ford would never have made the GT40! And I most confess that
much as I like the GT40, I'd prefer to see
a race or show that contained all these
great cars, not just the GT40.

Let's not allow a few bad apples spoil
the picnic. Thanks.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
I closed that topic because I, like Hershal, recognize the login name and what this fellow does. I've been away for the last 5 days but saw it on the plane with my PDA, so, I chopped it.

I am not against discussions about important cars, but I do hate trollers and tangents.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Chris,

That same Randy Owens print hangs above my desk. Very inspirational but a VERY flawed prespective piece of art. I love the image and the fact that my number 1 son bought if for my my birthday...at the SAAC convention in Watkins Glen we attended with P1116. The more I look at it the more inspired I am BUT...the more I see the flaws in the painting. The 906 has an asymetrical windscreen and the number 6 '40 has some serious issues as well. That said, I can't paint that well so he gets a pass on this one!

Rick
smile.gif

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Mark IV ]

Hi Marco

In my office I have a limited edition print of a Gulf coloured GT40 being chased by a 906 at Le Mans and thrashing the pants of it. I also like the fact that if it were not for Lola, the GT40 would never have existed,
I am extremely pleased that at long last we have Andre an ex director of CAV giving us the head up on what's happening in the kit car world in South Africa especially this new GT40 manufacturer.
Our forum member Jim (Mk1V J6) has kept me very interested in his MK1V his P4 restoration and the great photos of his Lola T70.
I for one hope that Andre continues to keep us posted on what's new as I find it most interesting and relevant,
Regards
Chris.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Back