Motec Help

Any ideas ??? Had the 1/4 turn plug in the engine compartment uncouple. Shutting the car down, Reconnected and now I can't get rid of the noise on the Ref Sync signals and it won't start. I have checked the wiring to both sensors back to the unit and they check good and the sensors do not error out. Just getting noise errors and from time to time an over RPM message ??????????? Thanks Wally :huh: :huh: :huh:

Hi Wally
Does your crank sensor have a short loom that is potted together with epoxy ??
Have found on a mates RF1 that it would open circuit when hot and shut the engine down, then wouldn't restart until it cooled down.
It would also record a very high "indicated" max rpm in the the computer.

Fitted a better connector and have not had any problems since.

Maybe a place to start ??

Clayton

Thanks Clayton Mine had not been potted at Assembly and I had found and spliced in one from an Explorer. I was pulling a Ref / Sync capture today and saw a flash. Now on power up it takes out the fuse for the EFI ??? Any idea of what the ignition oils are ??? As it looks like the right side is shorted. Wally

As for the coils, I don't know what the factory used.
I'm not going to use the factory loom or accessories, so not much help there sorry.

Clayton

Id be going back to that plug and having a look.

It was the last thing you touched ,it wasnt shorting before it fell out,could you have put the plug together wrong.

Is the plug / lome related to the efi or ign system.

Disconnect it ,put a fuse in the ECU if it dosnt blow ,its in that area or the plug

Take a look

jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim The plug is one of the Metal Amphenal type and will only go together one way ( Engine Harness Quick disconnect for engine removal ), Not connected to the Ignition, But does have the REF / Scyn and EFI wires in it. The Ignition is what is taking out the Fuse, What is strange to Me is that I can connect either coil pack to either connector and not take out the fuse, Only when I have both connected will it blow. Both coil packs check the same with a meter and both were connected with no issue before I kept the ECU open to view the REF / Sync capture ??? Is there a wiring Schematic available for these cars ??? as it looks like the Ignition wiring heads for the front of the car and I don't see any moduals in the fuse panel area that look related. Thanks Wally

I haven't seen a wiring diagram for the RF, not saying there isn't one though.
The ign module should be beside the ECU and there should be some fuses and relays as well (behind the passengers seat in a R/H drive).

Clayton

goggle motec site. may have diagram on line, you will need to find the one related to your system,then every fitter can do his own thing.

Maybe its a bad earth and its drawing more amps when both coils are hooked up.

Put a lamp across the fuse if it is grounded a (short) you will have power on one side and an earth on the other.
The lamp will light up. go around and pull plugs,lets say you pull an major plug at the firewall and the ground is lost across the fuse the short is on the other side of the plug.
If it doesnt it is on this side of the plug,pull plugs till you narrow it down.

You can also put a 15-20a curcuit breaker across the fuse and use a compass .
The curcuit breaker while closed you move over the wiring in question and the compass will go nuts when you are next to the short.
When the breaker opens due to load you have to wait till it closes again and continue.

good luck

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim Thanks thats about what we did, Picked up Coil packs and an Ignition control Module. Hope once I get them fitted this fires back up. Wally

Time for an update, Back on the road. Some how I had picked up road debris and smashed the Crank Sensor, (Gap was about .10 now at .04 ) As even with a dedicated harness ( replaced both plugs as I didn't like the way either of them fit to the harness and separated these all the way back to the computer with shielded cable ) I still had noise on the Ref / Sync capture. Now all the noise is gone and all errors clear when running. Thanks Wally

Back