Need ideas for track day competition

My friend Clois and I are hosting a track day in Tulsa over the first weekend in June. Actually there is a test and tune on Friday and I learned that one of the drivers rented the track for Thursday just for extra practice. Anyway, how can I structure a little competition that would take into account the different types of cars. We have everything from real WSC race cars to stock corvettes. We all run transponders so timing is easy and most drivers are not comfortable with side by side racing.

I was trying to think back to my golf days and come up with a sort of handicap system that would give everyone an equal chance at the overall win.

Any ideas?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Any timing at a UK track day is not allowed but perhaps in USA things are different.

Anyway I would decide on the number of laps required to be covered Perhaps 10 to 15 make sure everyone has to do a long run.

From their earlier track sessions get their best lap time for the day.
Take this lap time and multiply by the set number of laps required
Subtract this "perfect time" from their total time.

The person with the lowest difference takes the win ( an excel spreadsheet makes the calculations really easy)

Ian

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
In Australia we have a licence system for most racing events basically such as --International Competition- IC - F1 etc , National Comp- NC -super V8s , general door handle roundy round stuff, then - level 2 speed - L2S for the novices . = hill climbs, super sprints, regularity and motorkhana etc :-

Hillclimb basically a single car lap dash (you and the clock)

Super sprints - a group of 6 - 8 cars over a few laps delayed start between pairs (you and the clock)

Regularity --Historic cars or "Modern regularity" Classic and muscle cars? basically a 15 minute hoon around the track where you nominate a lap time and the closest to the nominated time wins --suits groups of up to 30 and no in car timing devices allowed such as speedo, GPS, radio com. etc

Motorkhana-- set up a bunch of witches hats --leave a pretend garage follow a given pattern through said witches tits and park correctly back in said garage in the shortest practical time without any penalties --wins

These events are usually fun to do but a PITA to organise

Back