Non-glycol coolant

It never freezes here in Orlando. Do any of you have experience with non-glycol coolants like VP Stay Frosty? Of course, the boiling temp is only 212F but the specific heat capacity is about 30% more than 50/50 water and glycol. Do you think the higher heat capacity is worth it? I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I have used Evans the only issue is if you have a leak you cannot top off with water. System must be completely dry before switching over.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I live in South Texas and I run my car on track on days when the ambient temp is well above 105F and track temps in 130-140F+ in the afternoon. Last year in July it was 103F and 85% humidity at 4 PM for my last session. I called it because I couldn't handle it but the car was fine. It comes off the track with a water temp of 190F and oil at 230-240 F after a 30-minute session. I have had 430 HP and now have 530 HP. I use distilled water from the grocery store mixed with 33% antifreeze—usually Prestone. It absolutely will work well for you as it has for me. Any cooling issues should be solved with properly designed and executed ducting, an electric pump and plumbing, and a correctly sized radiator. I believe you should at least try the standard RCR radiator and fans to start with. I am still using my original RCR standard fans. Do not forget the oil cooler and its ducting system. They are necessary.

By the way the higher the humidity the less efficient any cooling system will be with everything else staying the same. The higher the humidity the higher the moisture content of the surrounding air, and the more saturated it is with energy. The more saturated the air is, the harder it is to force more energy into it and out of the radiator.

Last edited:

Neil

Supporter
The last time I checked, a "non-glycol" coolant was actually a glycol. The usual coolant/antifreeze is ethylene glycol while the other is polyethylene glycol. The two types are considerably different. One thing relatively unknown is that ethylene glycol is flammable under certain conditions! In fact a year or two ago the SCTA banned it at their events. It was found to be flammable in a fine mist, even mixed with a measure of water. This shocked everyone, as it actually caused a fire at high speed when a tiny leak developed in a car's cooling system and caught fire. Normally ethylene glycol is not flammable; I doubt that polyethylene glycol is either.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been taking my modified Lotus Exige to Sebring for several years now. Howard, I have been using approximately the same coolant mixture as you, but maybe less antifreeze. That has been working just fine even in very high heat and humidity. I was just wondering if we even needed the antifreeze at all. I think I'll start with a light mixture and the stock radiator and fans.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh, and I forgot, Track Day organizers and track owners don't like antifreeze, Antifreeze ESPECIALLY in high concentrations does not evaporate quickly when it gets onto the track from a leak or other source. It will leave a slick film much like oil and must cleaned up with oil dry absorbent. They will bill you for that.

So some will require water only. I tried different concentrations and I think that up to about 1/3 antifreeze dries pretty fast and would be ok on a hot day as long as you don't blow off a lower hose and dump 3 gallons on the track all in one spot. The best advice I can give for track cars at first is to run all water at the track.

I change my coolant every winter when I do all the other fluids including brake fluid, engine oil, and GRBX oil. I open my coolant drain plug, drain it all out, refill and drain with clear water, and run the electric pump until it comes out clear then drain again and refill with my coolant blend.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
What are the thoughts on Prestone's 10 year coolant ? For me, dew to very low miles each year, an to many cars, it's nice not having to do changes as often

Back