Owner of Autoworld Corporation

Why am I here? I do not own nor drive an F40 nor replica. For several years (16) I have been trying to build and have built (5) Lamborghini Countach replicas. I am interested in trying to find something in the Transaxle dept that will work for me. So far I have used :
1. 1986 Cadillac auto. I have one of these in the stock room.
2. Porsche 914 trans. w/ Kennedy adapter/ clutch and starter. (never got that one running) sold it. I still have another transaxle of this type in the stock room. No adapter.
3. A Northstar Cadillac engine and trans. Automatic again. Ran it. Was ok but not what I want. Customers car. Lamborghini Countach one piece body car.
4. I also have a Getrag unit with an Archie adaptor, aluminum flywheel, and stock clutch from a last year of the Fierro.
5. (3) Corvair 1965-6 trans axles. Only one adapter (Kelmark) and shifter, aluminum flywheel. No clutch yet. Shifter unit from an old Kelmark GT40 replica that to me didn't even look close! Body long gone!
6. An Audi unit from the older Audi 2000????? I bought it in 1989 in Ft. Meyers, Fla. Autosalvage owner said he thought it would work behind a Chevrolet Motor V-8 if I was careful. I called Kennedy back then he had heard of it but hadn't really looked into it yet. I hear he finally got it done. Cost???
If you are still reading this then here is some more info. I have built my own molds of the Countach. My plugs were taken off real car parts. I have 43 separate molds. My car has to be built on a jig as it is in pieces. Each fender is separate. Top is one piece. The car has to be built like Lamborghini factory assy. using the register or assy. jig to get everything in it's proper position. So it is NOT for the person who builds Kit Cars!!! It MUST have a similar frame as per the originals! Really does!
I also do restorations of many different original cars. I also own a real Lamborghini... finally in 1993 I got to buy/trade for a wrecked one. Still I want to finish mine with the Chevy (shorter) engine. I have a friend who was able to purchase a ZF from a Pantera but he was an engineer for Ford in Lansing. They had Panteras there for engineering. He was able to get a trans and pedals. I sold him many of my parts from my molds to complete his car.
Money IS an object!! So I am getting old and would like to SEE this project thru soon. I'm 65! I would highly appreciate some direction from REAL builders who have this subject down and know what works! I as you saw have many ways to go here. I have 3 sets of bodies to build. 3 cars. Another note. I have been in many of the replica shops who were doing the Lambo Countach. I did not like their transaxle set ups in most cases. I am familiar with the Lambo Lounge and have monitored it for years. I am interested more in what will work then just for info. I am not a kit car person even though we have put some together for customers here in our shop. They usually do not interest me. You can reach me here or at [email protected]
Thanks
Joe

Joseph, first off welcome aboard. You will find lots of transaxle debate on here, perhaps not a lot more than you already know!!.

My thoughts whenever I see or read of the Countach is why dont replica builders 'replicate' the original Countach setup, eg: Fit your Chev/Ford with the flywheel end forward, use your transmission of choice-Auto or Manual- into a Quick Change or Vee-Drive or 4wd type transfer case with a shaft back alongside the trans/engine assy into a Independent rear end assy- Vette, Toyota Supra/Nissan 300zx, BMW or 9" Ford IRS conversion. It actually would look more original than a transaxle does with its butt sticking out the rear!.

BTW, I am 62 & refuse to believe I am getting old, only wiser!!! All the mirrors in my house are past their used by date--thats not my reflection anymore:)

regards
Jac Mac

Last edited:
This

Thanks guys for the quick responses.
First, you cannot turn the engine around other than water pump forwards on a small block Chevy. There is NOT enough room. A V-drive was engineered and used by the fella in Indy. His car was bigger all around. It interferrs with the room in the cockpit which is too small anyway. Even in my REAL Countach. My car is exactly the same size!!! I know that everyone of those kit car guys say the same thing but they are NOT. I've been in most of those shops in the past 25 years from Washington to Indiana, Mississippi, Fla, and Calif. The only ones that were close were from Germany and then England in around 1983. Then the lawsuits with Mc Burrne came about and many closed down. Even when their cars were NOT even close! I think they wanted out as these were NOT an easy build. The transaxle has been the main problem!! If a trans. could be built and assy into an aluminum oil pan in one unit then the problem would have been solved. TOO EXPENSIVE. I was hoping that some of you all F-40 people had solved the problem by now as your cars were also of a short wheel base.
Second person, The Diablo replicas are longer, roomier and were never assaulted by the same attorneys that bothered McBurne! Even though they are almost an exact copy of that car. In fact they became finally an easier car to build from a kit.
I would still appreciate some help here in making my decision on my trasnaxles. I'm sure if I can get thru to the actual builders I can get more help. So far I'm still at a confused point. The Archie adaptor and and the 5-speed getrag from a Fierro is maybe the most sturdy but it puts the engine sidesways. The other car will have the Corvair unit with the Kelmark but I still have 1 more car. I was hoping that someone had used something different that would fill the bill.:uneasy::huh:

Back