Polishing

Shortly after our car arrived in the shop, I looked at the empty engine bay and thought it would be cool to spend a couple of hours polishing the aluminum.

Ignorance is bliss. 50 hours later, I'm not sure it was the brightest idea I've ever had.

Of course, much of that time was spent in do-overs. I've never polished aluminum before and there was lots of trial and error.

Here's what I learned and did. Hopefully it might save other inexperienced masochists some time:

There are three types of structure which asked to be polished:
i) The tubes
ii) The suspension bits
iii) The firewall (sheet aluminum).

Each one required a slightly different technique.

i) The tubes have lines in them which are left over from the manufacturing process. While they can be polished to a shine without removing the lines, in order to get a mirror finish, the lines need to be removed first. This was done with a right angle die grinder using two different 3" scotchbrite wheels - a purple one (more coarse) to remove the lines, followed by a green one (less coarse) to remove some of the marks left by the purple one. After this, an air driven polisher with a 3" foam backing pad and 1200 grit 3M hookit discs was used to remove the scratches left by the green scotchbrite pad. As it turned out, this was probably a bit too fine, as the pads loaded up pretty quickly. Probably something around 600 grit would have been fine, but I had purchased a box of 50, so was determined to use them up. At this point, the tubes were ready for polish. I tried a few different brands and polishing methods, but settled on Nuvite "C" grade with a 4" cotton disc or cotton cone in a drill turning around 2,000 rpm. Note that the cotton disc loads up with polish after several minutes of use and then starts being less effective. When this happens, it needs to be cleaned with a "rake", by dragging the rake across it in the opposite direction from the direction it spins in. Once under way, this needs to be done every few minutes. You can get some good tips on the actual polishing technique from www.PerfectPolish.com. I found it took 3-5 passes before the tubes had a nice mirror finish, but there were still some small swirl marks and cloudiness in spots. These were removed using Alumapolish and either hand polishing with microfiber cloths or using a 3M 3" Perfect-It sponge pad in a drill. I found that even with the microfiber cloths, it is easy to put scratches in a mirror finish, so a light touch is required at the final stages.

ii) The suspension bits were done using Alumapolish and microfiber cloths. No pre-sanding was necessary as the parts have already been machined smooth. These bits are probably the biggest bang for the buck in terms of not taking much time and coming out with a nice gloss.

iii) The firewall is sheet aluminum and doesn't have the manufacturing marks that the tubes have. That being said, they did have some scratches (gouges) in them, which were removed with the scotchbrite wheels. They also have a grain which will show through unless mechanically sanded smooth, first. To do this, a random orbital sander and 6", 400 grit hookit discs on a foam pad was used. After sanding, a rotary polisher with a 7" 3M Perfect it pad was used along with Nuvite C. 3 passes were needed to get a mirror finish. This was followed by Alumapolish and another 7" Perfect it pad. Any leftover polish was removed using lacquer thinner and a blue paper shop towel. The blue towels are much better than normal white paper towels, which easily leave scratches. The blue ones will scratch, too, so a light touch is required. The lacquer thinner itself leaves a slight cloudy depost behind, which was removed with a dry microfiber cloth (again, a light touch is required).

I had planned to protect the polished aluminum with Alumaclear, but found that for mirror surfaces, it turns a mirror finish into a satin finish. It works OK for the suspension parts that are only polished to shiny, but is not good for the firewall or tubes. I am going to contact them to find out if I was doing something wrong, or if this is a limitation of their clear coat product.

Here's a list of some of the tools and supplies I used:

1) 90 degree die grinder: Harbor Freight, $16: Angle Die Grinder - Air Powered

2) Air Polisher: Harbor Freight, Harbor Freight $30: Mini Orbital Air Sander

3) Variable Speed Polisher: Harbor Freight, $40: Sander/Polisher - 7 Speed Electric Sander & Polisher

4) Scotchbrite pads: Harbor Freight, $16: 2 in, 3 in. Fiber Disc Sanding Kit

5) Nuvite: Metal Polishing Equipment : Auto Detailing Supplies : Electric Car Polishers : Airplane Polish : Auto Polisher : Aluminum : Polishers and Buffers : PerfectPolish.com, $22: PerfectPolish

6) Alumapolish: Alumaclear, $20: AlumaClear | AlumaPolish | Aluminum Cleaning, Polish, Restoration, and Protection

7) Cotton cleaning Rake: PJ Tool and Supply $15: Buffing Wheel Rake For Cleaning Polishing Wheels

8) 3" Foam Sanding pad for harbor freight polisher: $22 Amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046VUJ5A/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1]3M 20427 3" x 1/2" x 5/16" Thread Size Clean Sanding Disc Pad Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame] Note that the harbor freight air polisher has an odd metric thread on it. It is hard to find sanding pads that will fit it. This one comes with adapters that will work.

9) Microfiber towels: $2.50 Harbor Freight 4 Piece Microfiber Cleaning Cloths. I went through 3-4 packs.

10) 3M Hookit 3" sanding pads. $35 Autobodynow.com: 3M 00908 Hookit 3" P1200 Grade Finishing Film Disc, (Box of 50) | Auto Body Now

11) 4" Cotton Buffing Wheel $4 Harbor Freight: 4" Buffing Wheel

Attachments

• DSC04783.JPG
    DSC04783.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC04778.JPG
    DSC04778.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC04781.JPG
    DSC04781.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC04779.JPG
    DSC04779.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC04772.JPG
    DSC04772.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC04773.JPG
    DSC04773.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC04768.JPG
    DSC04768.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC04769.JPG
    DSC04769.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC04771.JPG
    DSC04771.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Looks unreal...mirror like finish to say the least so outstanding work...one question: If you had to do it again would you?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Really nice work there Dave. Should you ever do that again try some Bush's aluminum polish. Mirror bright shine and a LOT LESS work. Use a wheel, or by hand. Amazing stuff. Needs nothing else. I did all of my panels in a day. Because there was a huge delay getting restarted on the SL-C, I coated all of the aluminum with Ballistol. Wipe on, wipe off. A couple of years now and no oxidation at all. Order on line. around $20 bucks for all you need. The possidble "wet" areas around the footbox and floor extensions were treated with Rust-Bullet, another great product. For you folks that can't leave well enough alone, a little grinding and smoothing of the Brembo's and hit them with some G2 caliper paint (900 drgrees).
I actually found a vendor that made Brembo stencils to re-letter them.

Thanks for all the tips, guys - I've just ordered some Busch's and some purple and will test the two out to see how they compare.

Would I do it again?

If I knew it would take 50 hours, I'd seriously consider therapy. However, it would probably take less than half that time without all the trial and error. Maybe it would be even faster with one of the products you guys have recommended. . . .

Holy Hell!
Looks great now but upkeep will be a beyatch.

On a different topic...I've noticed your car and a few others are now delivered with a billet lower cross bar below the transaxle. Is this standard on all SL-c's now or just to accommodate a certain transaxle choice?

Last edited:
Standard as its required for the Graziano which has become very popular and is becoming the standard....so all chassis now have it

I ordered some Purple and some Busch's (see above posts) to see how they compare.

Each advertises that they are effective with just hand polishing, so I compared them to the Alumapolish I already had. I didn't compare with the Nuvite, which is really intended for use with a polisher.

I tested one patch for each polish on the passenger upright at the front of the engine compartment. This gets covered up on a finished car, so I hadn't done anything to it before the test.

The top patch was done with the Purple (California Custom), the middle with Busch's and the bottom with Alumapolish. Each area was applied by hand with a microfiber cloth and polished for approx. 2 minutes before wiping clean.

As you can see by comparing the pictures, the Purple and the Alumapolish do comparable jobs, but the Busch's is a clear winner; you can almost make out the reflection of the lettering on the camera used to take the picture. Because of the extrusion marks on the aluminum, I don't think you would ever get a distortion-free mirror polish using the Busch's by hand, but if the extrusion marks were sanded smooth first, you could probably do it.

A second or third pass with any of the products would probably improve the results.

I didn't try starting with a sanded surface first. I suspect the Busch's (by hand) might give Nuvite (with a polisher) a run for its money on this kind of surface.

Attachments

• DSC04804.JPG
    DSC04804.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC04805.JPG
    DSC04805.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC04806.JPG
    DSC04806.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC04810.JPG
    DSC04810.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 314
Told 'ya all the Bush's is great stuff. Yes, a little sanding to remove the tooling marks
works very well. I used 180 grit, then 220 and a little polish. Like a mirror.
Super results if it applied with a wheel. Best thing is it protects the aluminum. I have some five year old aluminum parts and still no sign of any oxidation, they have been under a bench all this time.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well, looks like I'll be ordering some Busch's polish. Thanks for the comparison test!

awesome thread - I've heard about the Busch product, but a real world test.. thank you. I didn't realize you could get the alloy that clean. Kind of wish I did not see this thread - I'm on board - next project.

Last edited:
My SL-C footbox and suspension are all still gleaming after a couple of years (delayed build). Didn't get crazy in the engine bay, but used the Busch's polish on all of the aluminum tubes, by hand. It took around an hour to brighten them all up. Lots of regular shop rags were pretty black though. Glad Harbor Freight had them on sale then!

I have some Busch polish on Jack's word. AND it ROCKS, best stuff Ive ever used. Only issue is it does NOT remove much in the way of scratches, you'll need to remove those in advance for fastest service. It seems to work by chemical reaction and polishes very quickly with little effort. I did the upper front control arm in what seemed like 2 minutes. Seriously. It does dirty shop towels instantly, so you will need a ready supply.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not anything close to an expert, but I have found that, if there are scratches or strain marks, I start with sanding, hopefully with an electric or air-powered sander. Depending on the situation, I start with 120 or 180, then go to 220, 320, 400, and then 600. You can also take it to 1200, but usually if you get to a good result with 600 you are ready to go to a buffing wheel, using black compound, then brown compound, and then white compound. I use a sisal, then spiral-sewn, then loose cotton wheel respectively. Always have "dedicated" wheels for each compound. (If it is stainless you use green compound, and if it is plastic or gel coat you use blue.) I buy this stuff from Caswell in New York. I ordered two bottles of Busch Polish today and am eager to try it out. Sounds like the ultimate finishing touch, or for deoxidizing, or the whole deal on some smooth parts.

I am a glutton for punishment. One winter I polished my whole cycle frame and wheels (cant ride, what else to do). The real bitch was sanding off the anodizing on the frame and smoothing the castings on the wheels after removing all the powder coating of course. The latest masochistic endeavor is polishing a whole Ricardo, again, what else to do while waiting to order a SLC? Wait, don't answer that.:rolleyes2:

Got to see it up close tonite. Looked like a mirror. Makes me want to start a build all over again. Nice improvements on the frame from '09.

Back