Polycarbonate Side Window Scratch Removal?

I have watched a lot of video's with a ton of ways to remove minor scratches from plexiglass/acrylic/poly but none have worked on our scratch resistant poly side windows.

Has anyone discovered a trick to minimize even remove a scratch?

Thanks

Back in my motorcycle days I always had good luck with Novus products for cleaning and polishing scratches out of lexan motorcycle windscreens.

1606514015979.png

If scratch seems to be deep you can not avoid to go to the long and tedious process of sanding the area ;
1/ Start sanding wet with small piece of 220 grit and alittle block of rubber to be sure to sand "flat " , then clean
2/ wet sand with 320 and 400 (and liquid soap to help) then clean
3/ wet sand with 600 then 800 and 1000 then clean ( try to enlarge slightly the area )
4/ again wet sand with 1200 and 2000 then clean
5/ use polish compound (paste) medium grit and sand hardly with piece of clothe material and then polish until bright ( normally it start to be ok)
6/ use finepaste polishing ( the one to clean front car headlights) and polish to bright using a very small poliching electric tool ( you can find cheap ones at Lidl) for 25 euros) try to do a large area so the bright on the window would be "sprayed" on the whole surface
If every step is correctly done you can recover the primitive aspect of your polycarbonate...... after a hard mid day work !!!!!!
We did use this process lot of time on polycarbonate race car windshields , clear polycarbonate cockpits on planes and gliders with big success

Hope this helps ;) and good luck ;)

Dan,

I need to replace one of my toll windows - it's on a KVA. Do you know a good place to buy a replacement?

John

Shaun

Supporter
I use Novus to polish pinball playfields bloody top stuff, brings the plastics up really well

Michel. I understand RCR had a scratch resistant coating added to these windows. Will the sanding process work with a coating? Wish I had an old window to practice with first, mine are urethaned in place and are a $&#*(# to take off. Don’t want the cure to be worse than the disease.

Kyle

Supporter
The difference between makrolon and regular polycarbonate prices is quite substantial. My car never came with rear glass so I’ll be going the route of buying my own sheets and heating to form the rear clam. I know the side windows have quite a bend, but you might be able to try it. Not sure where you’re located but usually all major cities have a big plastics supplier.

Michel. I understand RCR had a scratch resistant coating added to these windows. Will the sanding process work with a coating? Wish I had an old window to practice with first, mine are urethaned in place and are a $&#*(# to take off. Don’t want the cure to be worse than the disease.
Yes ; race car windshield where coated too and it worked well

Many OEM headlight assy are hard coated. Often this coating becomes yellowed or starts cracking. I have never had any luck polishing a hard coating on headlights or window glass. It always leaves a pattern around where the coating has been abraded away and the surviving hard coating. Sort of a bath-tub-ring sort of thing. For headlights sanding all the coating off and either polishing in its entirety or clear coating the lens with a high grade automotive clearcoat is the longest lasting treatment. The clearcoat solution is probably not the best for a piece of glass you need to have unaltered vision from.

Back