Porsche 944 Turbo Transaxle

I have a rebuilt 86 944 turbo transaxle. Never installed, no fluids except during assembly.The following was done to make this a high HP strong box-- in 944 land--5-600 crank HP.
LSD porsche disc type
5th gear from early model porsche cruise RPM 1800 top speed about 180 mph with enough HP
Ring and pinion REMed micro polished and the sharp edges on the teeth where broken by the vendor after polishing to ease engagement
Jim Dinner plate added for strength--- I used laser cut stainless steel
This is a 1 inch 23 spline input shaft. Many Ford and Chrysler clutches will fit. Spec makes many clutches for this spline.
Any interest ?
Thanks

Joe, sounds like a nice box! Does it have a bell housing on it to accommodate a clutch/fork/to bearing? Doesn't the 944 have the clutch up front by the end with the transaxle alone in the rear??

Thanks.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I looked into these boxes (hard), but I guess I was too block-headed to find an acceptable way to use them.
1) Had to cut (or turn) the end splines to create a receiver for the pilot bearing.
2) Was concerned about the groove in the middle of the splines located right where the disc boss resides (was this a strength issue?)
3) The apparent requirement for an excessively thick adapter plate (1 3/4") to account for the long input shaft. To my recollection, the shaft narrows behind the splines, so a simple re-splining of the input shaft was not possible to reduce the length of the shaft
4) yes, I had several Dodge and Ford discs that would fit the splines, but none with a large enough diameter to fully utilize the 240mm German pressure plate option. I think the closest was 225mm, but then the hub/spring assembly looked like it was an issue

In the end, I suppose I could have had a custom machined input shaft for the 944 box, but at what cost of time and money? Question: Will the 016 input shaft fit into a 944 turbo box? I'd love to see what is being done to fit this behind a typical mid-engine set-up.

After 2 months worth of head-scratching I instead bought the 5N (?)

Last edited:
the 944's use a torque tube and the bell housing is at the motor. As terry said an adapter plate would be needed.The other option might be to use a 924 input shaft which is the same size as the audi 016.I have no idea if that shaft can be transplanted in the turbo box. These are all basically audi boxes. A chk for part numbers for the gears on the input shaft would tell if there is anything in common. VW,porsche ,audi have lots of common parts.An adapter plate is probably the 1st solution.

There are discs available up to 12" with the 1" x 23 spline.

The splines are rolled into the shaft so that is why the splines cannot be lengthened. It is possible that the AUDI input shaft could be fitted to the 951 gearbox as the 951 ring and pinion is retrofitable into the AUDI box. It would just take more work.

The 951 has a wider 3rd and 4th gear and these are also splined to the pinion shaft vs press fit onto the AUDI so there is an additional benifit there. First gear is 3.5 vs 3.6 for the AUDI.

A thicker adapter plate wouldn't be a killer compared to using a different transaxle. The 951 is just slightly longer than the AUDI but that is behind the diff.

Back