Porsche G50: Replacing long cover with short cover?

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Is this an easy swap or a potential nightmare?

According to the Porsche online parts catalog both the long and short versions share the same part numbers for the gasket, shaft oil seal and bushing. That would "seem" to indicate they can just be easily swapped (and then the shifter shaft shortened to match).

But, in the parts diagram, the long cover has a parts assembly that the short cover does not have (see parts 39 through 44 in the diagram below). Does anyone know what function these parts have, and perhaps more importantly, does the lack of those parts in the short cover preclude swapping them?

Has anyone done this conversion?

Thanks all for your help.

Chet
long cover.png

short cover.png

Last edited:

David Garton

Supporter
Number 40 and 39 are shift rod detent and spring. Also might worry about end play clearance and the adjustments. There would be thin shims behind bearing races. It would be worth a trans guy swapping it out . JMO. Good luck.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chet - I shortened the housing and shifter shaft (without removing the shaft) on my G50/03 with just hand tools. I had to have the housing bored for the linear bearing that the shaft rides in, but that was done by a machine shop for just an hour’s labor charge.
I don’t have much for photos, but these may help.
IMG_2588.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Thanks Randy. I had read your prior postings as well as Sean's latest efforts and you both certainly did a stellar job on your transmissions! Finding a shop here in Naples to do the cutting (so far) has not been an easy task. Everyone I've asked so far didn't have one they would recommend for that type of job. Which is why I was hoping that a simple swap of the two cases was possible.

You cut off that (extra) area of your long cover with just hand tools? I'd be very interested in hearing about the tools and methods you used!

Chet

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the compliments…
I just used a lot of tape around the seal / bearing and a 4” cut-off wheel on an angle grinder. I used the same to grind a new flat on the shaft to lock the shift lever to it.
Other than the shaft, I did all the cutting with a hand hacksaw (24 tooth) and cleaned it up with files. It’s really not a difficult task, just need to seal everything up so the swarf doesn’t cause a problem.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Call California Motorsports and ask for Rodger. He changed my G50 to a "short" cover and supplied the necessary parts to do so when I had my G50 rebuilt and upgraded. Maybe he can supply a "kit" to complete the job. I don't know. I should add I have no interest in California Motorsports other than being a satisfied customer.

928-855-5755

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Howard I did speak with Roger yesterday and this morning. He confirmed that if I wanted to switch to the short cover I would also have to replace my shift rod with the short one. That's not a simple thing to do and involves a further tear down of the transmission. If I was having Roger rebuild my transmission I would definitely have him do that....but on my end that's way above my abilities!

So I'm going to shorten my existing case and shift rod. Not sure yet if I will go with Randy's hacksaw method or Sean's machine shop method yet. Still considering the issues while looking for a machine shop nearby.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Chet

Back