Proposed International Sports Replica Racing Association

I would greatly value the opinions of the forum members with regard to the formation of an INTERNATIONAL SPORTS REPLICA RACING ASSOCIATION (ISRRA).
Several factors, which I outline below, have motivated this thought.
First of all, speaking personally when I was 12 years in 1952 old, in my last year at junior school there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to Europe to become a racing driver. In my last year at high school I added another option and that was that if I couldn’t get into racing I would bring back a new business idea, the perception at the time being in South Africa that all clever things came from overseas. Until today that perception exists!
When I joined the Stirling Moss Paint-a-Car System in London in 1964 I actually stayed with Stirling for three months in his mews house off Park Lane before I found suitable accommodation. During that time I did a translation into English of a German article on him for which he ‘paid’ me with a crash helmet, two sets of blue Dunlop overalls and a navy blue waterproof overall all three resplendent with BRDC badges. Despite the fact that I offered to do the translation for free he insisted upon ‘payment’. I then started doing a Jim Russell Racing Drivers course at Snetterton, wearing his helmet and overalls and would return in the evening to discuss my day with SM. He said that if I was serious about getting into the sport he would advise and help me. How close can one get to realising a dream? Did it get me into racing? No! The paradox is that it was Stirling who turned schoolboy option two into reality, for in 1968 I returned to South Africa at the end of 1968 to establish the Mike Hailwood Autospray System in Johannesburg.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I’m eternally grateful to Stirling for his advice, help and guidance at that time and how much I admire his sheer guts, determination, professionalism, perfectionism and integrity. I also met my wife indirectly through him. Some years ago Readers Digest ran a series, ‘My most unforgettable character’. In my word there’s no doubt that Stirling Crauford Moss would have qualified for that chapter!
From the time I returned to South Africa in 1968 until now I’ve been involved with various business ventures, car design and building, other design projects including two patented items, journalism and book writing, etc. All of this meant no time or money for motor racing. During all these years, which have flown by at an alarming rate, I drove an Opel in precisely one production car race at Killarney. Fabulous career! As I moved into my 40s and 50s the thought of driving racing cars evaporated.

However, since becoming involved in 1999 through CAV with the building of a 1960s icon, the GT40, I suddenly got a wake up call. I dawned upon me that here I’m involved with one of the very cars I would have loved to have driven if fate had decreed that I would stay in Europe to race cars.
I also began to realise that David Piper and classic friends are in their 50s, 60s and 70s and are as quick as ever. In fact when David raced his P2,3 and 4 (now MK1V J6, Jim Glickenhaus’s car) at Killarney in the late 1960s a good lap time was 1min 18secs. Those were his exact times last month in the Ford F3L but back in the 1960s he didn’t have a plastic right foot! The red ex-John Surtees Lola T70 Spyder went round in 1min 15 secs which was faster than before.
At the 2000 Goodwood Revival Meeting I was absolutely gobsmacked at how fast the bald and silver-haired brigade drove ERAs, BRMs, Connaughts, Coopers, Lotus, etc. These extremely valuable cars could be seen in full-blooded Fangio/Moss type four wheel drifts like there’s no tomorrow.
I also had a surreal experience at the same event. I was sitting in the grandstand at the end of the Lavant straight with Ed Rossler, Stirling’s former race team manager in the 1960s. And who appeared on warm up lap in a Rob Walker Cooper, non other than old SM whose career ‘ended’ at the same circuit some 38 years earlier. Both Ed and I knew the trauma he suffered when his career lay in tatters and the sheer effort he expended in getting mentally and physically fit again. I turned to Ed and said, ‘Ed please tell me that this is for real and that I’m not about to wake up from a dream!’. Sadly there was a nasty start line accident involving Nigel Corner’s Ferrari and in the melée the Cooper was damaged. Had our old boss driven in the race no doubt he would have been as quick as in the 1960s! That same Sunday, September 17, was Stirling’s birthday when he turned 71.
Right now as I’m typing this one of the biggest if not biggest cycle races in the world, with 35 000 entrants, is taking place on my door step. Once again it’s amazing what a high percentage of entrants is over 60, including one at 81, considering how physically challenging the race is.
Right, I’ve think I’ve convinced you all that we’re getting younger as we’re getting older and that there’s still a lot going for the older boys.
The reason for explaining my personal situation above is to find out if there are people out there who share my experience of having wanted to race but were prevented from doing so because of wives saying no, business commitments, school fees, university fees, etc. I believe there are! After having abandoned any hope of racing some years ago, would I have a go now – you bet I would!
I also believe that there are very few out there who can afford original FIA registered classics, but who could certainly stretch to a replica.
For some time now I’ve been nagging David Piper and partner, Mike Knight, to motivate the inclusion of replicas into their historic section. Up till now the answer has been an emphatic no but I believe that there’s a glimmer of hope in that the RAC might consider selective inclusion from 2004. However, if this is the case I gather that it’ll be for precise copies only, ie the new full monocoque MK11 now being developed in Cape Town. This of course means that I have to continue to motivate ISRRA for now.
I believe that the best three decades of sports cars racing were the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. The 1950s were great with C-Type, D-Type Jags, Ferraris, Maseratis, Mercedes 300SLRs, etc. the 1970s were also good but lost impetus when Ferrari pulled out in 1973. The screaming Matras were exciting. The 1960s were really special, highlighted of course by four successive victories at Le Mans by our favourite car. Then there were the Mirages, Ferraris P2/3/4s, Lola T70s, McLarens, Chaparrals, Alfa-Romeo Tipo 33s, Chevrons, Ginettas, Divas, Porsches 904, 906, 908, 910 and at the end the fabulous and hairy 917. Problem with the 1980s was that a Porsche victory was virtually a foregone conclusion.
To digress for a minute. Now that I’ve mentioned Moss’s Mille Miglia 300SLR we’re busy developing a 60% scale copy of the car. About two years ago Robbie Senekal who now heads up the new MK11 project and I were going to build the car in half scale and with a fibreglass body. In view of the new project and Robbie’s total commitment to it I shifted the project to my friend Malcolm Duncan in Johannesburg. Malcolm owns a high tech factory with all the right equipment and in addition is a complete Mercedes-Benz nut. He owns a 300SL roadster, some other classics, a large die cast collection as well as many books on the marque. As he has the capability of vacuum forming the body panels in aluminium this is the route he’s taking. I recently found some engineering drawings of the spoke wheels and this is going to be the most tricky part of the build, but never fear, we shall overcome. My brief to Malcolm is to be correct is all respects – the numbers 722, wood rim steering wheel, side dummy exhausts, tartan pattern seats, Union Jack flags on the rear fairings, etc. Stirling reminded me of an important feature – a three spoke steering wheel. All the Grand Prix W196s and other 300SLRs were fitted with four-spokers but for the Mille Miglia he requested a three-spoker. After the Mille Miglia Neubauer gave the wheel to Stirling as a memento and it now adorns a wall in his study. Interestingly enough the Burago 18th scale model has a four spoke wheel. Careful! The car will possibly be powered by a Briggs & Stratton engine and will be fitted with a gearbox with three forwards and a reverse as well as a diff. The project is costing a small fortune but we’re hoping there’ll be market even if small.
However, I digress so it’s back to ISRRA. There are a great many replicas about that could make ISRRA a reality in a short space of time.
There are several GT40s and there are Cobras aplenty in several countries; Neil Formeman in the UK builds a Ferrari P4; Barrie Martin builds a Porsche 904 at the Thruxton circuit; Andrew Keiller builds a 917 in Australia and has joined two 911 engines together to create a near copy of the original flat 12; a friend in Cape Town has built a precise copy of the Chevron B8; I believe the attractive B16 has also been replicated in the UK; Ivor Walklett, one of the original four brothers who founded Ginetta still builds the pretty little G4 and the mid-engined G12. There are probably some others I’ve forgotten about. In past postings I’ve dropped hints about the Lola T70 MK111B. I now admit that we are seriously looking at producing a precise copy of the original car and we have sourced all the drawings, moulds, jigs, patterns, etc.
From the 1950s era replicas were made in the UK of the Jaguar C and D types as well as the XJ13. A friend in Cape Town built a stunning Proteus XJ13 but has now sold the car to an overseas buyer. Most of these cars are out of production but could be brought back if ISRRA could come about. Then of course Lotus Seven replicas which spilled over into the 1960s are plentiful. We therefore on paper already have a representative grid of 1950s and 1960s cars.
I would propose that the rules be simple and straightforward, one or two pages and not reams. What would be of utmost importance would be that the rules for all countries must be identical. Not long after the motor car was born some countries ended up left hand drive and others right hand drive. Those useful little telephone that we all carry about are called cell phones in South Africa and the US but mobiles in the UK. Why do human beings have a propensity either to complicate issues or to get them plain wrong?
Proposed rules as follows:
Participating cars must be visually correct as they originally were. Space frames to be allowed for cars that were originally monocoque; minor widening of wheel arches to be allowed; Cobras to run with Halibrands or replicas therof; GT40s with Halibrands or BRM wheels; D-Type Jags with pin drive Dunlop wheels or bolt on replicas; C-Types, wire wheels, etc; gearboxes to be free. If the cars aren’t visually correct the series could easily degenerate into something that resembles a race series for badly built backyard kit cars.
Cars must be fitted by engines from the original manufacturers, ie a P4 could only be fitted with any Ferrari engine and not Renault V6 as is popular in the UK; GT40s and Cobras fitted with Chev engines to be kicked into touch; likewise Keiller’s 917 would be acceptable with any Porsche engine and not necessarily two 911 engines glued together. Lola T70 debatable but preferably Chevvy V8 but then some also ran with Ford engines; Chevron B8 preferably BMW four cylinder but then some also ran with Ford BDAs.
These are only guidelines and the rules would have to be fine tuned but in essence the brief would be that the cars would have to be presented in the spirit of the originals. To avoid confusion cars would have to be passed by an ‘acceptance committee’ of ISRRA.
The mere fact that many of the above models are available in kit form means that those interested in competing in the ISRRA series could build their own cars quite cheaply. A Lotus Seven could be great starter.
Initial participating countries could be the US, Canada, Brazil, the Argentine, the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Spain, Sweden, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Others could follow later.
Perhaps there could be a central ISRRA committee with sub-committees for each country, or each country could have its own committee that would liaise with others countries.
Emphasis however would have to be on fun and meeting soul mates. David Piper’s members really enjoy life when they visit here and other parts of the world. They go on sightseeing trips, enjoy barbeques and parties and meeting people. Racing is never serious as is the case with FI and other top current racing classes all driven by millions of dollars and huge sponsorships. It would give members who can afford it the opportunity to go on racing vacations. At a later stage if the series becomes popular, sponsorship could be raised. Yellow Pages sponsored the 1988 David Piper series to the tune of R600 000. To see that figure in perspective at the time a Ford Sierra 2.0GL sold for R25 000, ie 24 new Ford Sierras. Sponsorship could mean that several cars from one country could race in another.
If the series takes off there’ll be more business for the GT40 replica and other constructors.
If you like the idea please let me know, if you think I’m dreaming please also let me know! Perhaps some GT40 forum members could volunteer to drive ISRRA in their respective countries ie Marko Bjerken in Sweden, Fred in France, the Thompsons in New Zealand, only to mention a few names picked at random. Then in the US there’re too many to mention here. How about Chris Melia promoting the series in the UK.
I look forward to your comments.
Optimistic Andre40

Andre,

Thanks for another exciting post. I don't know how the 'average' person would afford to race in another country, but even within their own country this would be a neat creation. How much do you think the fees would be to make this viable?

Have fun!

John

Andre,

One more tidbit...I sell a GT40 cd that is literally sold all over the world (including Israel and Greece so don't forget them) and I'd be happy to add info onto it concerning this ISRRA. That would help get the word out.

Have fun!

John

G

I think the concept is great but the implementation is going to get interesting.

In the UK there is already a market for pure replica Lotus 7 racing under the Caterham banner. Very close wheel to wheel stuff, sometimes too close! I am not sure if these cars would mix well with the other replicas you talk of. They normally get their own class at most events I do to keep them away from the other cars. Also there are millions of them!

Then there is the series that GTA races his GTD 40 in and plans to race his LMK 917 in later this year. In that series there are already Cobras, a GD Lola T70 Spyder and I think other replicas as well as E types and 911's. I am sure GTA will correct me if I am wrong here. Must make a great looking grid!

There is just starting a dedicated series for D type replica's. It seems the Jaguar crowd accept replics into their club more readily than any other marque I have heard of. Not discounting the Ivan Dutton Buggatti which the BOC accept very readily. But I feel they are a different level of replica to what we traditional refer to as a replica on this forum! I fancy a Buggatti GP car, but then again who wouldn't?

Therefore I think that what you have as a vision/ambition is partially in existance here in the UK already. This leads on to a drawback...

Rules....

In the series that GTA partakes in the rules have been pushed and pulled particularly regarding tyres allowable. The Cobras didn't want the 40's on wider rubber and the 40's were getting fed up of crashing as they had to run on insufficient grip etc etc. Put an over serious competitor in any car and he will try and win both on and off the track. It starts getting cheque book racing quicker than the cars can do 0-60! And bitchy.

You can all start off with the best intentions and within a season you have intense on and off track rivalries. I feel your description above was of a more good spirited nature! Certainly I would prefer to be in your series than an over serious one but you get sucked along and before you know it....

Within the GTD club we only orgainse hill climbs and sprints as these fall into the budgets of our regular members more easily than circuit racing. There is always the argument of whether it is "safer" to ciruit race or hill climb and sprint but I am not going into that one now. As a club I think we have managed to walk the fine line of keeping competition at a good level and developing the cars to the benefit of other owners, whilst having barrels of fun in the paddock between runs and at the places we invade for weekend events. One thing is a definite though. The orgainsers love our cars at their events (I turn down more events than I accept) as the general public love to see these big engined cars in action.

Changing track, wasn't there a stand at the Autosport show that got mentioned here on the forum about a GT40 replica going international racing at some daft price? People seemed a bit sceptical about that effort!

What I also think is worth trying to do is to get the historic racing fraternity to accept the better makes of GT40 replica for their racing. In due course the original cars are going to become more unavailable for racing so to keep the numbers up, if we can gain acceptance to the establishment as quality cars then that is another avenue to go racing. And in style.

Anyway I hope the above is of interest and I hope that even though I think this could be a hard one to pull off, I hope you succeed.

Malcolm

G

Andre,
I, for one, would love the opportunity to race in historic based series especially as i now have full Gulf UK support not only for my 40 but also for the 917 which hopefully will also be ready for racing later this year.
The Sports Racing and GT Series kicked off this season at Silverstone on Saturday and was a great spectacle of different "historical" racing cars ranging from Cobras, Jaguar C,D,E Types,Ginettas, Listers,Porsche 911 etc and my solitary 40.Great race marred by a start line shunt and it is this latter point that i fear puts a majority of the so called racers off for fear of the expensive damage they incure.Also many of the cars being or have been built would never get through scrutineering as their construction methods are totally at odds with the Blue Book of regulations certainly in this country. I still rate the idea highly though but there is no doubt about it that the escalating costs of racing and repairing are having a serious effect on the grid numbers. Despite wonderfull support and backing from Gulf my race programme for this year, even at national level with just one European race at Spa in May,is going to set me back a small fortune and if we add on the projected 917 costings and running both cars at each race a figure in excess of £75,000 is reached!!! That is chicken feed compared to some people out there BUT it is a pointer to any interested in an International Series such as you propose to the potential running costs.
Then there is the question of racing licences, etc, etc. Oh dear i love the idea but i fear it is dead in the water!!
Your Lola project intrigues me and i thought you lot over there were upto something with the T70. I too have been gearing up on this project and had been in discussion this last year and was about to purchase the old GTD/Bell moulds and with a foreign constructor of monocoque chassis produce an initial run of pretty accurate race cars.I just hope that you have obtained copyrights from Lolas themselves because it was made clear to me that although they approved and gave blessing many years ago to GTDs quality it would not be granted now and they hold on to all the original drawings and copyrights. You will have to call it a Alol S75 Mk 111B !!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Graham @ GTA.

G

Andre, this is precisely where my thinking has been headed; the only way replicas are ever going to have a class to race in that isn't openly bigoted against them, the vintage sanctioning bodies, or where they have absolutely no chance of being competitive, SCCA and similar sanctioners focused on production based race cars, is to have a races sanctioned specifically for replica cars. I say go for it!!!! As has been mentioned, I will probably never be able to afford to ship myself, let alone my car, to South Africa to race, but it has to start somewhere. You all have the history, knowledge and wherewithall to give it a go, so "Tally Ho The Fox You Know!!" We do have NASA in the US that may end up working for us; I am not ready to state an opinion on it just yet. Good Luck and God Speed!

Hi John Stone, Malcolm M, Graham (GTA Racing) and Lynn Larsen,

Thank you for your friendly, interesting and thought provoking responses.

You’ve no doubt gathered that my proposed series is motivated by a nostalgic desire to see re-born 1950s/1960s grids and I have to admit also due to some frustration, also re-born, at unfinished business in the 1960s! As I said when the wheel came round many years later with CAV I got thinking again.

I’ll reply to you each of you in turn:

John Stone,

Costs and fees involved at this early stage, difficult to tell. There is now a mixed bag sports car formula running at Killarney, ie Lotus Seven replicas, Cobra replicas, Porsche 911s (originals not replicas) and others. Some of the guys are actually racing for relatively little money. There’s also a CAV GT40 in Gulf colours and after some sorting out problems this car is now flying.

Tell me more about your GT40 cd as there could also be a good market here. Thanks for offering to mention ISRRA on it.

Malcolm M,

As Competition Secretary to the GTD40s Car Club you know all about being in the hot seat!

I agree ISRRA implementation, if ever (!), would probably be more like a minefield as opposed to interesting!!

On second thoughts you’re right one rarely if ever saw Lotus Sevens on a typical 1960s grid with GT40s, P4s, Lola T70s, etc. In the local formula mentioned above and other previous mixed bag sports car races in this country drivers of larger cars often complained about not being able to see Chapman’s diminutive missiles.

I’ll reply to your comment about ‘partially in existence here in the UK already’ to Graham below. We might have a solution on our hands.

Yes, I know what you mean about rules, rivalries and how the competitive spirit will always be there with some people. Always been there and will never go away!

I like your comment about the organisers loving your cars at their events and how the public love to see these big engined cars in action. Isn’t it strange how certain eras are magic and can never be replicated, ie the 18th century era of Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart classical music, the 1960s era of the Beatles and pop music. Like wise the GT40 era has also etched itself into a special section of the history books. The current Audis at the new clinical Le Mans with the old Esses gone, not a patch on the good old 1960s!

I know what you mean about the stand at the Autosport show and the proposed GT40 formula. Proposed by a young fellow whose surname begins with ‘M’. CAV did a posting denying any association and I was wondering where all the cars were coming from. I subsequently heard of a fairy godmother who specialises in GT40s. She waves her red, blue and white wand and race-ready, turn-key GT40s fall from the skies …. also in any colour of choice! The proposed ISRRA ain’t in that league!

In addition to the ISRRA idea I’ll continue to motivate the inclusion of the ‘rivet for rivet’ new GT40 MK11 in the historic section. Also the Lola T70 if we can pull that one off. The advantage of these cars is that if they’re damaged in accidents you’re not damaging history. Owners of originals are understandably not madly enthusiastic about copies of their precious cars but my argument is that with the best will in the world a replica can never be a challenge to an original. The replicas can run with a great ‘R’ attached to the race number so that there can be no confusion. Remember the Marilyn Monroe replica who wished Stirling Moss Happy Birthday at the 1999 Goodwood Revival meeting. She ain’t no threat to the original!

Graham,

Congratulations on the Gulf sponsorship! Looks as if the Gulf management has also been affected by this nostalgic bug. If they’re going on a new marketing drive do they have a fabulous history – a marketing man’s dream. Just imagine launching a brand new oil with an unknown name!

I’ll be watching your GT40 and 917 with great interest.

When one casts one’s bread upon the waters things often pop up, like your Sports Racing and GTSeries. You’ve done it and you have the rules even if there are disputes. What do you say to my abandoning the ISRRA idea and linking up with you guys and promoting an identical series, starting in Cape Town. As mentioned above we already have a similar type of race series, in its infancy, in Cape Town. If you in the UK and we in SA work hard at promoting this series as the guinea pigs the series could then spread to other countries. I gather that your series is a mixed bag of replicas and originals.

You mention costs. Motor racing as never been ‘cheap’ and is in fact becoming more expensive. However, your series should hopefully make it more affordable than competing in any of the current modern formulae. I presume that when you quote 75,000 pounds you are including the cost of the 917 but only the running costs of the already paid for GT40.

Lynn Larsen,

Thanks for your good wishes. I’m pleased that there’s someone else out there who likes the idea.

With regard to ‘bigoted against them’ problem is so many kits and cars have been badly built in the past and some members of the industry have actually shot themselves in the foot by their lack of professionalism. One of the main problems has been the absence of detailed build manuals, something I emphasised in an earlier posting.

Since the introduction of SVA in the UK some really super cars are now being built there. If the likes of Superformance, CAV, RF and others continue to build and market safe, high quality cars prejudice will eventually disappear. Some of you may remember how the world laughed at poor quality Japanese products when that country entered Western markets in the late 1950s. Do people laugh at Japanese products today? Of course not, because Japan today produces cars and products of the best quality in the world which goes to prove that with hard work, effort and marketing perceptions can be changed.

Thanks again guys!

Best wishes
Andre 40

Andre 40,

Just go to Ebay and search for GT40 CD and you'll see info and photos about the cd.

I agree with Lynn that you have to start somewhere with your racing idea.

Thanks for asking and have fun!

John

Andre

While I agree with Lynn that International
competition between replicas is not likely
due to the cost, that doesn't mean an
International sanctioning body would not
be useful in guiding those in "under developed" countries like the USA
organize events built around replicas.

Once a set of guidelines is established
and functioning (say in South Africa, it is
much easier for a "related" event or series of events to be held elsewhere since the
example is set and the groudwork laid out.

As Lynn points out, right now there is little in the US that accomodates the ideas
you have set foorth. And I'm afraid that won't change until somewhere else it is
successfully accomplished.

Good luck and keep us posted on those
amazing cars you guys are making!

MikeD

Hi Mike DD,

I think you have a mischievous sense of humour when you refer to the US as ‘under developed country!’

I wonder if Americans realise what a profound influence their country, names and products have had on South Africa.

Let me throw some names at you that dominated my/our lives when I was kid at school in Cape Town from 1946 to 1957;

Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Campbell’s Soup, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Dale Carnegie (did a course in 1960), Toastmasters International (my wife I recently resigned after 18 years, and Jim Glickenhaus (MK1V J6) was that a Toastmasters cap you were wearing in your Lola T70 pics? The ‘T’ looks familiar), Hollywood, Grace Kelly, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Humphrey Bogart, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Life, Saturday Evening Post (brilliant artist Norman Rockwell), Popular Mechanics, Walt Disney, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Dagwood and Blondie (why do we age and they don’t!), Superman, Caltex, Mobil, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Chevrolet (have had on-going love affair with the 48 Fleetline, would still like to own one, several left in the country), Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Oldsmobile, Chrysler, Plymouth, De Soto, Fargo, Packard, Studebaker, Kaiser, Frazer, not forgetting the cute little Henry J, Nash, Hudson, Willys, Jeep, Diamond T, International, John Deere, Harley-Davidon, Indian, Cessna, Piper, Avis (met Robert Townsend at Porsche in 1963), Hertz and the list can go on and on. Oh yes, the Hardy Boys. Used to read the books under the bed covers with my bicycle lamp after lights out.

As I said these American creations were right round us all the time.

One of the most fascinating books I own is the ‘The World Fact Book’ produced by the CIA (there you go, American again!). It tells you anything and everything thing you want to know about every country in the world. The 1996 edition gives the South African population as 43 930 631 (pretty accurate to the last 1). Ethnic divisions are black 72.5%, white 13%, Coloured 8.6% and Indian 2.6%. This means that the white population of South Africa at about 5,7 million is about 65% of that of New York city.

Now that I’ve mentioned that famous Walt Disney character most South Africans regard their country as Mickey Mouse when compared with the mighty US. Mind you we’re getting there, we had young Mark Shuttleworth in space and Gordon Murray of McLaren and Rory Byrne of Ferrari are South Africans. Jody was world champ in 1979. Long way to go!

I doubt that the entire South African specialised vehicle/kit car industry employs more than about 1 500 people. Jimmy Price’s Hi-Tech Automotive that exports about 35 Cobra replicas per month to its US Superformance dealers employs about 650 people. They also build the British Noble M12, a modern version of the Lotus Seven and a steel bodied 1932 Ford Hot Rod with all the original Ford press tools replicated. The new Superformance Coupe is about to be launched. Apart from the wheels just about everything is produced in-house at Hi-Tech. Website address is www.superformance.com. Some amazing stuff on there.

The formal South African motor industry is a different story altogether with just about everything available from Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Sweden, and the UK, either locally built with about 60% local content or imported. The Ford Motor Company of South Africa was established in 1924 in Port Elizabeth followed by GM in 1932. The Mercedes-Benz plant was set up in East London in 1961 and for years was the only plant outside Stuttgart

With regard to the small specialised vehicle industry I somehow think that we were lucky that a handful of people managed to hang it together. A weak SA rand also helps with exports of course.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment and let’s see if we can get replica racing going in whatever form and as I suggested above possibly with GTA Racing’s UK series.

Best wishes,
Andre 40

Thanks Andre.

However compared to our friends in the UK
I certainly feel we are GT40 "deficient".
Need to fix that!

MikeD

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: MikeDD ]

G

Further to my previous post on this subject i mentioned the start line shunt at Silverstone on Saturday which could of caused so much more costly damage to more cars but for the grace of God and quick reactions by us trying to avoid it.
Well i have just returned home from Snetterton today, Thursday, where we spent the day testing in the glorious Spring weather that we in the UK are experiencing at present along with about 30 other drivers. Sadly, even in testing there was MAJOR shunt involving 4 cars at atleast 100mph leaving 2 of them written off. So, please any of you wanting to race be absolutely certain of what you are committing to and do not be paranoid about keeping your expensive spray jobs immaculate because even if you manage to keep on the black stuff the battle damage you WILL sustain through grit, kitty litter, rubber, debris etc, etc, will progressively erode your finish even if you put protective sheeting on the leading edges.
I mention this because so many people say they are building to race or wish to try racing and are spending copious amounts of money on cosmetics little realizing how much battering will take place on their pride and joy!!!!!
A Lister went off in front of me on Saturday into the gravel trap at Luffield corner and sprayed me with hundreds of "bullets" leaving me with a very shot blasted 40 + the general debris marking that i previously mentioned. Keeping it smart for Gulf publicity is a nightmare!!!!
You have been warned!!!!!!!!
Regards,
GTA/Gulf Racing.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the warning!

Regrettably many of the activities that provide the biggest adrenalin rushes come with a danger and damage warning. Like if you choose to join the army as a career and you’re sent to Iraq you should be aware of the dangers involved!

OK, if we decide to go for the replica race series (despite the dangers and ‘bullet’ riddled paintwork) instead of playing ping pong (not sufficient adrenalin rush) what do think of my suggestion of abandoning any thought of ISRRA and piggy backing off your existing UK series.

I’m quite sure that if we could get a series going, even if not a dedicated replica series, there would be additional business for all the GT40 replica manufacturers. As I mentioned there is already a fledgling mixed bag sports car formula running at our Killarney circuit and the Gulf liveried CAV GT40 is a front runner as it was when it ran with David Piper’s classics. Perhaps at this early stage the Western Province Motor Club (WPMC) could consider modifying its rules to comply with yours.

Onwards and forwards,
Andre 40

G

Hi Andre

Do we need to have the same rules per se through out the world? The reason for thinking this is that most motorsport world wide is governed by the FIA. Certainly they are one up the chain above the MSA which is the UK sanctioning body. SA and USA would, I expect, be in a similar position. Therefore by definition the rules governing the standard of preparation and scrutineering should be similar. A car at one venue should get in at another, until country bias/politics like at Le Mans starts getting in the way (or even, dare I say it, the US approach to Colin Chapman at Indy in 1963!). Our level of motorsport should not have these issues though.

Therefore I do not think it is a matter of rules but really one of a series being there that has similar vehicles participating as other series around the globe. Once you get that then going international should fall into place just a little more easily.

Malcolm

Andre, I really like your idea for a replica-based racing series. This is further incentive for me to complete my CAD drawings for the Ford F3L, afterwards, I'm going to start the wooden buck...

Good luck and keep us informed!

Rick

Back