Race Report Phillip Island 16,17 and 18th May 2008

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Got half way through this report last night and the power went off, so I lost some of my time into cyber space and am having to start all over again.
I talked the wife (Cheryl) into working for me at the factory and off I went to PI for friday practice. The day dawned nice and fine and I set off with a clear number of objectives to test the cars handling.During the week I had reduced the front spring rate by 100lb and bought the four wheel frequencies into a better range. I intended to run the 2 morning sessions on the springs only and then connect the front bar for the afternoon sessions.
With no ARB the body roll was very apparent and although the grip was good the pitching around did not fill me with confidence to go too hard. With the bar connected the cornering was much flatter and my confidence in the cornering capability rose to a new high. As the day drew to a close I felt I had made a significant leap forward in my understanding of what makes a car corner fast and proving these things to myself is what drives me really.
Onto Saturday morning and the weather took a turn for the worst. I fitted the wet tyres for their first run since purchasing them in March. I also disconnected the front ARB again.Off to the pre grid and although 11 cars are shown in the programme only 7 appear. 3 Lamborghini Gallardos, 2 P...... GT3 Cup cars, 1 MGB V8, and 1 RF GT40 ( me ). I'm getting used to racing against exotic machinery but this is getting a bit serious.There was a TR8 supposed to be running but he was out with a blown diff. In the wet I qualified with a 2min 6 sec lap time 6th place. One of the Lambos did a sensational 1min 47sec lap time, however all 3 of them had their ups and downs through the weekend.
Race 1 on Sat arvo was run in extremely wet conditions and aquaplaning down the straight I'd have to say was not one of my most pleasant experiences.I retained the wet tyres and left the front ARB disconnected.I got into fifth from the start and was going well until we got to Honda corner a tight r/hander. The front brakes locked and I couldn't turn so off I go nose first. Recovered and got back on into last place. 2 laps later the same thing happened at MG corner which is a tight r/hander after a steep downward slope. I will admit to quite a lot of grass cutting as I made my way slowly back to the track.I decided to calm down and drive as smoothly as I could through to the end of the race and this strategy seemed to work, unlike the video camera that I thought was running but wasn't. A lucky break for Ross though I think. After a kind offer I decided to stay down at PI overnight thanks to my MGBV8 competitor who is a doctor and owns a house in PI. I was thinking to myself mmm be ok if I have a heart attack tonight.
A large group of us went out to a restaurant for a meal and the good Doctor instructed us not to tell his wife ( she was soon to arrive) about the new tyres he had purchased during the day. Anyway after I got talking to her she stated how great it was Mort raced cars and how his medical colleagues were so envious of him. At this point I loudly exclaimed 'Nows a good time to tell her Mort' and boy did she rip into him.Luckily his generosity remained good and I still had a bed for the night.
Sunday dawned and weather still looking a bit iffy. Arrive at the track and I'm thinking I must put more rear brake bias on to stop the fronts locking up. When I inspected the balance bar it appeared the bar had shifted from it's set position.Well this explains a few things I thought.The
flat spotted tyres at Sandown, the locking fronts at Winton and my off track excursions this weekend in the wet.I put the car up on stands and got Tom (helper) to squeeze the brake pedal till I could no longer turn the front wheels.Then I checked the rear wheel and sure enough it spun freely.I reset the bias so both front and rear wheels locked together and wired the balance bar.
Race 2 started in the dry so I had slicks on and front bar hooked up.
on the warm up lap I was able to confirm there would unlikely be a rear brake lock up so I was looking forward to the race. I got away to a good start but had to immediately take evasive action to miss the yellow Lambo that hadn't moved.2 laps in and the rain came down in some parts of the circuit so it was eggshell time.by the time the race concluded 2 Lambos were out and I had closed on the 2 P...... cars fighting for position over the line. I ended up just losing to them in 5th place.Even though the brakes were squeeling and causing pedal shimmy at least they were back to their effective best. There's another box ticked.Ross check your brake bias!!!!!!!
Race 3 the final 10 lap and the weather dry.I didn't hold out any hope of staying with any of the front guys, but I was enjoying a transformed car handling wise.Off the start and Mort MGBV8 pulls out with what looks like terminal driveline failure and we now number 6 cars in the race.It was a lonely race for me but I came across an ailing P.... car heading to the pits, ok now I'm 5th and unbeknown to me one of the Lambos failed as well so I came home 4th and a bucket load of points will be mine.Hell I nearly made a podium.My best lap time 1min 49.89sec, could have done better but this motor is very down on power.
Packed up and headed home, on the way decided to rebuild the race motor before the next round at Sandown about the 20th of July.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Excellent stuff Ross, congratulations on picking up the points. Podium next time out maybe?
By the way remind me to not tell you anything I don't want Di to know.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Excellent stuff Ross, congratulations on picking up the points. Podium next time out maybe?
By the way remind me to not tell you anything I don't want Di to know.

X2 :)

You may want to consider running a more aggressive brake compound on the rear than the front. I hate doing Agricultural work with my racecar... Odd that I've done so much! :stunned:

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks for the report, good to read. Don't denigrate your car, it is also an exotic to most people. Just because it is in your garage doesn't make it everyday stuff. I am very nervous with brake balance bars. I really want to have a guage or telemetry to tell what pressures I have front and rear so that I know what the set up is. I heard a story once of a grandchild allowed to sit in the race car and go broom broom but what in fact happened was the kid went broom broom twist that knob quite a lot. Grandad found out at the first corner and stuffed the car into the wall! And lack of power? Just be grateful you are not in our genuinely wonderful and fun MX5. We have a whopping 64.5 rwhp! We keep praying for rain. Keep it up Ross.

Welcome back Ross, good to hear your reports as always. If I listen very carefully, I think I can hear your teeth grinding as you mention the P*****e cars. Sounds as if you've got the handling almost to its peak. Now with dry weather and if you get more rear wheel hp, you will give the others a real fright.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Ross,

I missed this when you posted it up, good report!! Any chance of some in car footage there, I'd love to see how the drive works out.

Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes these reports don't stay up very long seemingly due to the fact that they are only reports and understandably there are just a few replies. I have a video of the race where I make time up on the P....... cars so I'll do my best to get it for all to view. Like others here I'm a bit challenged in the preparation of video for the net, which typically my son is very good at. Watch this space!

Ross :thumbsup:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes Jac Mac is absolutely right Dalton, I'm only just getting started. It's been a long journey sorting this car's handling out, mostly because of my desire to do it myself with help and advice from Jac Mac and others.I have to prove to myself the benefits of a change and with my limited funds not allowing much testing, I have had to use race meetings as test sessions. At least now after many wrong turns I am travelling in a positive direction.I could have got a hot shot driver to tell me what is wrong with the car's handling but I would have learned nothing. So it's a lonely road however the rewards are high.There is nothing better than to make a change and then drive the car to prove that it works. I believe in the philosophy that you are always learning and when I look back to the start of this project I realize I knew very little about suspension and handling, from a technical point of view and as a driver.I have made some wonderful friendships during my time with this car, quite a few on this site and I value them highly. Needless to say most of my spare time and money are soaked up working on this project but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ross:2thumbsup:

Back