RCR40 Center Spline Mounted Shifter Location

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Two questions:
1) What is the typical location as measured from either the front or the back of the spine?
2) Has anyone come up with a slider for the shifter so the position can be adjusted for taller/shorter drivers similar to the pedal slider? Not sure if the cables are capable of accommodating the slack needed for moving the shifter back and forth.
Thanks in advance.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
This might sound like captain obvious but just set the entire cockpit up for yourself, and make it whatever feels good to you!

I set the driver's seat where and how I wanted- appropriate recline, aligned to chassis' axis, facing where the column comes out of the dash. From there, I positioned the pedal box to make sure everything would work out in the footwell (I needed to swap the clutch MC for a shorty to make it all fit where I needed). Next, I set the steering wheel where and how I wanted, specifically squared up to the driver's seat, angled comfortably, and at an appropriate depth for my reach.

Next up was the shifter, and I set that right next to the wheel where my hand would fall when I took it off the wheel. I had to make sure it had sufficient space to row through all the gears, so I think I moved it back slightly, but it's in a totally natural feeling place for my personal layout.

Very few other people have driven my car, and I don't really care if it fits them! I built it tailored to me and it's fantastic- for me.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
This might sound like captain obvious but just set the entire cockpit up for yourself, and make it whatever feels good to you!

I set the driver's seat where and how I wanted- appropriate recline, aligned to chassis' axis, facing where the column comes out of the dash. From there, I positioned the pedal box to make sure everything would work out in the footwell (I needed to swap the clutch MC for a shorty to make it all fit where I needed). Next, I set the steering wheel where and how I wanted, specifically squared up to the driver's seat, angled comfortably, and at an appropriate depth for my reach.

Next up was the shifter, and I set that right next to the wheel where my hand would fall when I took it off the wheel. I had to make sure it had sufficient space to row through all the gears, so I think I moved it back slightly, but it's in a totally natural feeling place for my personal layout.

Very few other people have driven my car, and I don't really care if it fits them! I built it tailored to me and it's fantastic- for me.
Thx much for the guidance. I am probably overthinking it. Because I ordered the slider pedal mount, I just figured that it would make sense for the shifter to move also. But your comment regarding the relationship to the steering wheel makes me realize that I would need to make that adjustable as well. Too much. Like you, I will just make it fit me.

Joel K

Supporter
Randy,

I second Chris’s opinion. Although I’m doing an SLC and not a GT40.

I have seat sliders and an adjustable pedal, but that is really to align your legs and arms to the steering column and pedals. Then put the shifter where it Is comfortable after that.

At first I set the shifter where the opening was in the center console trim, but once I sat in the car it was too far forward so move it back to where it was comfortable.

Back