Roll Bar Ruminations...

HI all,

I hope you had a good Christmas.

As I bought my RCR in bits second hand, I thought that the roll bar was incorrect. However, from the pictures attached, it does fit the chassis perfectly.

The only thing is, it looks different from most of those I've seen in the build threads, in that it does not enter the cockpit area like most. It sits behind the bulkhead.

Do any of you guys have the same and does it cause any issues (although I can't imagine why it would).

All the best,

Graham.

Attachments

• DSC00521.JPG
    DSC00521.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC00520.JPG
    DSC00520.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 396
Hi,

yes this is normally inside, you may want to check the height in relation to the roof section, also consider the upper seatbelt positions,
The IVA are very fussy on mounting height and position, relative to the seat.

And rightly so,

Also the standard seats need to be slightly higher, this is the height of the seat top relative to the cushion,(the bit you sit on.) about 50mm

Goodluck

Ron McCall

Supporter
That is the standard roll bar that comes from RCR. I have that in my car (although I have since added the front section to it to make it a full roll cage)
I have a tall deck engine in my car and the distributor required a small notch to clear. It shouldn't be an issue with a 302 based engine though.

Hi Graham,

as Ron already pointed out correctly, the standard with all Kits is the 4 point rollbar you have on yours.
The optional 6 point rollcage has the main hoop inside the passenger compartment in front of the firewall.

TOM

That is the standard roll bar that comes from RCR. I have that in my car (although I have since added the front section to it to make it a full roll cage)
I have a tall deck engine in my car and the distributor required a small notch to clear. It shouldn't be an issue with a 302 based engine though.

Dizzy location& height relative to crankshaft is same for production289,302,351w& the oddball 8.6/8.7 dart blocks, only the heads go up and out with the different deck heights. Fontana blocks however use the 351c crank/cam centerline dimension for more stroke clearance.

Gents; Speaking of roll cages, etc. My 6 pint seems to be conflicting with my doors when they are closed to being shut - confliction up front by the jams. Anyone else with this issue? I can move the front cage legs inboard or scallop out the doors.....

Doug,

trim back the front most edge of the doors and reattach the removed section once trimmed...much simplaer than playing with the cage....which is not necessary.
Original Mk1 cars were run with no cage at all...its a tight squeeze adding anything extra to an original body..which the RCR is....
This is how we do the turn key RCR40's

Chuck

Supporter
Echoing what Fran said, here is a pic. Only a small opening in the forward end of the door was needed to clear the roll cage. We then put a small piece of fiberglass inside with an appropriate depression to clear the bar and added a bit of filler to smooth it out. With finished and painted you never notice it. Easy solution

Attachments

• FillerDoor.JPG
    FillerDoor.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 316
Back