Safety Belts

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Looking for suggestions for some safety harnesses for my RCR40. This will be for a street car with no intentions of ever taking it to the track. It gets really confusing trying to decide what to use with all the different brands and styles out there. 4 pt, 5 pt, 6 pt, V-Type, Bolt-In, Floor Mnt, Wrap Around, Cam Lock, Latch & Link. WTF? How does one choose? I'm leaning toward a 5 pt/Cam Lock system. Other than that, I'm clueless. Also, ease of installation would be a bonus!
As always TIA, Rod

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I have used these guys on several cars, nice choice is the color. For a street car I recommend something simple such as a 3 or 4 point with the chrome airplane belt buckle, easy to use, adjust and comfortable.

Neil

Supporter
Looking for suggestions for some safety harnesses for my RCR40. This will be for a street car with no intentions of ever taking it to the track. It gets really confusing trying to decide what to use with all the different brands and styles out there. 4 pt, 5 pt, 6 pt, V-Type, Bolt-In, Floor Mnt, Wrap Around, Cam Lock, Latch & Link. WTF? How does one choose? I'm leaning toward a 5 pt/Cam Lock system. Other than that, I'm clueless. Also, ease of installation would be a bonus!
As always TIA, Rod
I use a 7-point cam-lock harness but this is a race car. Convenience is a factor in a street car; a safety harness is no good if it's too inconvient to use. I'd recommend a 4 or 5 (better) point harness with a cam-lock and a 3" wide webbing.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Neil is spot on, go with the wider webbing. With the reclined driving position of these cars, I would highly recommend at least a 5 point set.

In addition, the threaded blocks on the firewall of the RCR locate the lap belt in a horrible position. Please take the time to properly locate your lap belt in accordance with manufacturer & motorsports org's recommendations. Mine are anchored through the floor instead, which applies forces to bones instead of squishy innards.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Neil is spot on, go with the wider webbing. With the reclined driving position of these cars, I would highly recommend at least a 5 point set.

In addition, the threaded blocks on the firewall of the RCR locate the lap belt in a horrible position. Please take the time to properly locate your lap belt in accordance with manufacturer & motorsports org's recommendations. Mine are anchored through the floor instead, which applies forces to bones instead of squishy innards.
Spot on!
Also - a CamLock is the only way to go unless you want the more period correct look of the Latch system. The Latch system can and has pinched unsuspecting fingers and those of children…

Also check for DOT approved if that's something you think might be checked in an inspection if you have those. Basically a center buckle pushbutton that says "push" so that first responders know how to unbuckle the belt.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
OK guys, thanks for the responses. So...DOT approved, 5-point, Cam Lock, and 3" webbing. That narrows the choices down considerably. What about the shoulder harness mount(s)? There seems to be several different ways to do those between the V-type, wraparounds, etc.

Devin

Supporter
I have used these guys on several cars, nice choice is the color. For a street car I recommend something simple such as a 3 or 4 point with the chrome airplane belt buckle, easy to use, adjust and comfortable.
Love the fact that they are Made in USA and even better that it’s a veteran biz...I’ll be using them in the future!

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Also check for DOT approved if that's something you think might be checked in an inspection if you have those. Basically a center buckle pushbutton that says "push" so that first responders know how to unbuckle the belt.
Most first responders I know would cut the belt especially in a multipoint situation to avoid further injury. We they did that a couple of times thru the years in vintage racing. Once the belts are stretched in a incident they are junk anyway.

Rod, to the best of my knowledge there is no cam-locking buckle that is DOT approved (now someone will pop up with an example to prove me wrong). It is my understanding that DOT requires all seatbelts to be button activated so that removal protocols are universal for rescue personnel.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Watch where the adjusters are positioned!
I was in one car and they were down between the seat and tunnel and seat and side tank.
not able to be got at to adjust without exiting and making an adjustment!

I had some 6 point ones on my car Luke was the make and Frank Catt from Wealden engineering supplied them and he had the factory make the adjusters sit in the correct place.

Ian

Most first responders I know would cut the belt especially in a multipoint situation to avoid further injury. We they did that a couple of times thru the years in vintage racing. Once the belts are stretched in a incident they are junk anyway.

It's about the inspection for that feature. Yes, first responders won't waste time looking for a button, but the inspector will.

Neil

Supporter
OK guys, thanks for the responses. So...DOT approved, 5-point, Cam Lock, and 3" webbing. That narrows the choices down considerably. What about the shoulder harness mount(s)? There seems to be several different ways to do those between the V-type, wraparounds, etc.
As long as the shoulder harness is solidly mounted per the manufacturer's instructions it doesn't matter which style you use.

Back