Shot peening rods?

Can anyone advise on getting con rods shot peened?
This kind of goes hand in hand with the `FE revs` post, while thinking of ways to help this motor to stay together and getting it balanced I got around to thinking that if I were to de-seam the rods and then get them shot peened not only would they be stronger but I'd also be able to ditch just that little extra weight off the crank (when it comes to get it all balanced up).
The less weight on the rotating assembly the easier time it all has, so having read that when you polish the casting seam from the rod beam it then needs to be shot peened to get the strength back I had a question come to mind.
I've seen plenty of rods that look as though they've been shot peened and super finished all over and then others that seem to have just had the beam sides treated.
I'm not sold on the merits of getting the whole rod done and just wondered what experiance you guys have had and what you would recomend?

I used to do this most of the time until the deluge of reasonably priced aftermarket stuff hit the market. In your case where you only have 8 remove the 'flash' then crack test before you decide to carry on & balance /shotpeen etc.

Jac Mac

Back