Spf gt 40 e brake cable

One of my e brake cables broke on my SPF GT 40 and the design is poor. The cable flexes at the shifter end so that it bends back and forth about one inch from the cable end and eventually breaks . Is there a better replacement design out there, or has anyone modified the factory e cable?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
One of my e brake cables broke on my SPF GT 40 and the design is poor. The cable flexes at the shifter end so that it bends back and forth about one inch from the cable end and eventually breaks . Is there a better replacement design out there, or has anyone modified the factory e cable?

My memory on this is not completely clear but I did notice that the geometry at the front was not optimum so I bent the outer cable bracket to "point" the cable's static position at the center of the arc over which it bends, thus attempting to minimize to overall deviation from "straight" that the cable bends. You also might look at keeping the inner cable lubricated where it leaves the outer cable in case it was being worn against the end piece of the outer cable.

My primary motive at the time was friction reduction, not flex reduction, because I installed rotor calipers after having removed the drum brake in disgust over its fragility and threat to safety. Of course the calipers required more force. The most dramatic reduction in friction I was able to make was by flooding the cable with "dry lubricant" spray. Any reduction in friction might help with the breakage problem since it reduces the peak tension in the cable.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...I bent the outer cable bracket to "point" the cable's static position at the center of the arc over which it bends...

Thinking about this some more it may be that I modified the cable angle so that at maximum tension it was coaxial; this makes slightly more sense since that's the point in its travel where you least want the inner cable rubbing against anything.

I just don't use mine... leave it in gear

Was told that folks forget it is on and start to drive away.. figure this is easier.

Back