Steering rack identification

Hi All,

I'm trying to identify my steering rack.

It's in a C-Type KVA, fitted somewhere around 1991.

It has two turns lock to lock.

The pinion diameter is 14.25mm - The rack dia is 21.5mm - The tube dia is 29mm - The rack mounting bolts are 260mm apart and 80mm apart vertically.

From an old invoice I have identified the trackrod ends as being Cortina Mk3, so am assuming the rack is the same.

Can anybody confirm this from the photos below:

(Sorry - Struggling to attach the photos!) Be patient.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Ah - I think I've done it.

Hoping somenbody can help.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Attachments

• KVA STEERING RACK 001.JPG
    KVA STEERING RACK 001.JPG
    675 KB · Views: 315
  • KVA STEERING RACK 004.JPG
    KVA STEERING RACK 004.JPG
    659.8 KB · Views: 349
  • KVA STEERING RACK 005.JPG
    KVA STEERING RACK 005.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 305
  • KVA STEERING RACK 006.JPG
    KVA STEERING RACK 006.JPG
    683.6 KB · Views: 310
  • KVA STEERING RACK 007.JPG
    KVA STEERING RACK 007.JPG
    657.4 KB · Views: 354
Thanks for your suggestions.

Doc - I'm sharing a workshop with an MGB restoration company, and the MG rack appears to have a 12"/18" lower steering column attached to the rack - Incidentially, I'm green with envy over your chassis!

Brian - Looking at Ken Saunders list, he does suggest a Mk3 Cortina rack, but I would like to know for certain. Is there anybody (re)building a KVA of my vintage who could do a few measurements?

Cheers,

Geoff.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Geoff,

I think you will find it is a Cortina Mk. 3/4/5. That is what is fitted to GTD's. I fitted one to a 'C' type KVA chassis but I think I had to shorten the ends by about 1".

Brian.

Geoff, KVA`s were designed for Cortina racks as Brian says, even the early ones like mine. GTD kept the same rack when using their modified suspension and subframes. Mine is standard length, I replaced it last year with another standard mk3,4,5 one from Burton, it fitted straight on with no mods, Kev

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Would this be the same for a Tornado? Seems the Tornados have very similar parts to the GTD.

Back