Superformance Dashboard Paint

Does anyone know what paint Superformance uses to paint their Dashboards? It has to be painted because there are a few different materials. Dash fiberglass, switch panels ABS, etc. I'm trying to add some much-needed lighted lettering and will need to do some touchup of the paint. I might also have to re-make the switch panels out of a laser-friendly material and laser cut or CNC the lettering directly into the panel which again will need to be painted. Thanks for the help.
20211109_132054-002.jpg
20211109_131952-002.jpg

Phil G

Supporter
I am not 100% sure on this but I believe SPF dash is painted with ALSA soft touch paint. ALSA has a sample kit you can buy which should be more than enough for what you need. I did my complete dash with there sample kit with Preval sprayer.

Attachments

• 75E80365-02B9-416E-87AA-B0B82E5F69E3.png
    75E80365-02B9-416E-87AA-B0B82E5F69E3.png
    374.6 KB · Views: 311
  • tempImagel6Jcy5.png
    tempImagel6Jcy5.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 367

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Whatever material Superformance made that piece out of, it deteriorates over time. I've had my car for seven years and despite spending most of its life in a garage under cover, the surface has become tacky and soft. I'm considering options for replacing it with a fabricated metal piece painted black. If anyone has already done something like that, please let me know.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I built my own and powder coated it and made a soft touch top piece Dave because the dash I got was junk and beyond fixing.

Attachments

• GOPR0587.JPG
    GOPR0587.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 349
  • GOPR0673.JPG
    GOPR0673.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 350
  • GOPR0678.JPG
    GOPR0678.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 329
  • GOPR0748.JPG
    GOPR0748.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 315
Whatever material Superformance made that piece out of, it deteriorates over time. I've had my car for seven years and despite spending most of its life in a garage under cover, the surface has become tacky and soft. I'm considering options for replacing it with a fabricated metal piece painted black. If anyone has already done something like that, please let me know.
Dave sorry for the late post but I hope you see this. I've had my car since 2008 and see no deterioration. Unless they changed the paint they used why yours didn't fare well. Do you live in a high humidity area? I'm pretty sure the part is made out of ABS with the soft coating added on. It's now possible to 3D print this part with black and translucent white but I'll still have the problem of the coating. Maybe I can get the paint in clear.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Richard, I live in suburban Charlotte. So, yes, humidity is unavoidable here. That could have something to do with it.

Back