The legendary Le Mans suitcase

I once remember reading that "back in the day", and the day included when the GT40's were running, that cars either had to have space for, or actually had to carry, this box simulating a suitcase. Anyone else have a thought? Thanks

Neil

Supporter
I once remember reading that "back in the day", and the day included when the GT40's were running, that cars either had to have space for, or actually had to carry, this box simulating a suitcase. Anyone else have a thought? Thanks
The "FIA suitcase had to fit during scrutineering but it was not required to be carried during the race.

Ed McClements

Supporter
You can clearly see the luggage boxes either side of the transaxle on some cars:-

4a9e3ceaebc860f2c136e2ef0dabc3dd.jpg

i once saw picture of I believe Lola with the needed space for luggage created in the front spoiler part just before the wheels... can find the picture anymore ..shame
Paul

That article says:
In 1960, the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile went a step further by decreeing the infamous F.I.A. suitcase, a valise measuring 60 x 40 x 20 cm. Cars of less than 2.0-liter displacement needed a trunk capable of carrying one of these; those exceeding 2.0-liter, a pair of them.

Back