Thoughts on clutch, bell housing and starter

As my engine build is getting closer to completion at Prestige it’s time to start shopping for a clutch and bellhousing and I’m looking for suggestions. Car is an RCR, 363 engine and ZF trans. I was looking at the Safir package. I’ve read here it’s a good package but is a smaller flywheel better with a 363 with 500+ hp/torque? Do i need a smaller flywheel clearance wise in an RCR? Was figuring a larger flywheel would be heavier and better for the engine and probablly easier to get a starter for.

so looking for thoughts and suggestions on what others have used with this sort of combo. I’m thinking I would run a slave cylinder also for he zf fork and would need a mounting location on bellhousing or do people just eliminate the fork completely on the ZF? I’m open to any suggestions to make life easier.

thanks,
Pat

Bill Kearley

Supporter
First you have to think exactly what the car will be used for.
If I have mine apart for any reason I will go a McLeod twin disc for less peddle effort, an external slave and for street use I'd go with a standard steel flywheel
Check your input shaft length for fit. I found my Kennedy bell housing to be to long and not enough pilot bearing support even after talking to Griffin trans axel in Texas and experiencing very little help.

It will mostly be used for street, with maybe an occasional friendly track day. Definitely want to go with a steel flywheel. I had heard good things about the Kennedy bellhousing.

David Garton

Supporter
I chose to use the Safir package as ground clearance was one of my worries. Also it uses a steal flywheel and is a dual disc diaphragm pressure plate so it will have a soft pedal. I did not want to disassemble the trans from the engine for a leaking internal slave style throw out bearing and theirs has an external mount. I have had members say they were very pleased with the set up. Hope this helps.

I chose to use the Safir package as ground clearance was one of my worries. Also it uses a steal flywheel and is a dual disc diaphragm pressure plate so it will have a soft pedal. I did not want to disassemble the trans from the engine for a leaking internal slave style throw out bearing and theirs has an external mount. I have had members say they were very pleased with the set up. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I’m leaning with them now. What starter did you use and any fitment problems?

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Thanks, I’m leaning with them now. What starter did you use and any fitment problems?
Safir provides a starter that fits their reduced size bell housing and flywheel. The starter is compact, has reduction gearing and it is a beast. Designed to be more than capable of turning over high compression big blocks.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
I went with the Safir pkg on my 363/ZF and am very happy with it so far. It has everything needed to attach your ZF to the engine including a starter. It all fit nicely and assembly was a breeze. However, depending on your oil pan, you may have to make a minor modification to it to allow for clearance to the starter as shown in the attached pics.

Attachments

• Oil Pan Cutout1.jpg
    Oil Pan Cutout1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • Oil Pan Cutout2.jpg
    Oil Pan Cutout2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81

David Garton

Supporter
Mine is a Tee style pan and it clears the starter.

Attachments

• 20231022_214531.jpg
    20231022_214531.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 70
  • tmp_img_63e155fc21db1_931a9d19e33ed24eb92f2253d63bf8227c4d3b9b.jpg
    tmp_img_63e155fc21db1_931a9d19e33ed24eb92f2253d63bf8227c4d3b9b.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 73

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Pat, what car are you building? I should have added that my 363/ZF is in an RCR40, and the Oil Pan is a 6qt. Aviad 155-55362. It fits nicely in the tight quarters of the chassis and does not protude below it. I maybe wrongly assumed that your powertrain is going in something similar.
Rod

Back