Transaxles

I have been collecting and need to know what transaxle I should use and that can fit my budget. I am building 3 Lamborghini Countach replicas for myself. Been at it since 1982. Have gone thru the Sienna, and other decent copies of bodies years ago. I did those cars then started doing my own molds from THE car. I do not sell anything. I did sell 3 of the other guys cars after getting them to run. They had problems to work out when sold. In 1992 I bought a wrecked Lamborghini and started restoring it. I went back to doing my replica Countach's soon afterwards. I am a retired welding and autobody instructor. I've been restoring and hot rodding cars since 1958. I have collected various trans axles for the Countach project for 20 years or so. Ocasionly I look at the computer to try and glean a little information. Usually getting bogged down and dispursed into other information. Tired and confused I hang it up. And go back to the things that Ican do and control to go on further. I have 32 (# of cars in the works) so I need to keep moving instead of trying to concentrate on things that I cannot control and dare not put limited into funds into more that I have invested already. This information, I hope, will reach someone who has done what I need to know and can help me sift thru: what I have;what will work for my application; where I need to spend my time and low retiremant $;
The GT40 is a beautiful car. The transaxles today are made to do the job of hooking hp to wide tires and holding up. Only 1 problem, I cannot afford them. Funny Money does not go with a teachers retirement program. Here are what I do have:
1. Transaxle from a Fiero, getrag 5 speed. A KEP adaptor for a V8 Chevy.
2. 1986 Caddy front wheel automatig set up. Used one in another replica. I sold.
3. Transaxle from a 914 Porsche.
4. 3 Corvair 4 speed transaxles along with 1 Crown set up bellhousing. No Posi's.
5. an audi 1000 or 5000?? transaxle unit.
Engines:
1. 1989 350 TPI from a Pontiac Trans Am.
2. 1967 327 Camaro engine
3. 1999 LT1 Aluminum headed 350. Have 2 actually.
4. 1987 Fierro fastback 2.8 FI with 9k miles.
Question which will work without a lot of expense and breakage?
Remember I have 3 cars here.
I must not be very intelligent because I do not SEE a readily decision.
Am hoping that their are alternatives that have progressed since I put everything to do with this car on hold 10 years ago.
I do not want to hear from just bloggers. I need real info here.
Thanks for everyone's time. The history was just so you will understand my delima.
My confusion is from sources telling me that this or that won't work. So I stop and do not waste any more $$ there until I can be shown some daylight at the end of these cars tunnel. 75% of these 3 cars use a lot of actual Lamborghini parts. Probably much more that 99% of all of the replicas out there. I'm not lying nor bragging just confused on this issue of which way to go on transaxles.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Joseph.

You have quite a collection of parts to be sure.
I'm not clear - from your message - what your precise requirements are.

You list Fiero components which are (to my knowledge) Transverse mounted Mid-Engine.

You list 914 / Audi / corvair parts which are longitudinal mount transaxles - all of which "could" be used in a conventional longitudinal mid-engine configuration (with work).

I'm not at all familiar with the Cadillac parts so cannot comment.

What is the configuration of the cars that you are building::
Transverse or Longitudinal mid-engine?

Note that all of these transaxles listed have a limit as to how much torque they will sustain with wide tires and good traction.

Also - As you have found - the prices of suitable transaxles can be very high. One thing to consider though is how much it will cost you to repair or replace a substandard unit..

From my own personal research - I have decided to take a middle of the road approach which "should" support a reasonable amount of abuse and torque. I've chosen the Porsche G50/03 (numerous variants) which I have modified to run inverted (with oiling), and shortened to fit within my chassis.

There's a plethora of information here - and certainly you will be able to find much of it with the Search function. I know you'd rather just "cut to the chase" and be handed the precise information you need - but I'm afraid that there are so many different opinions and results, that you will have to do much of your own research.

Just be cautious about the 914 transmission as it is not too strong. This unit was based on the Porsche 901 transmission, replaced by the 915, and then by the G50. The G50 is a great transmission and the design has inspired many other aftermarket transmissions.

Back