Two race weekends- 4 poles, and two track records

Two race weekends- 4 poles, and two track records

Team Superlite Cars had its second race weekend at the fabled Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Following on the success of the first race weekend at Hyperfest at Summit Point, WV, where the team set an official lap record for the Super Unlimited class and easily captured pole position for both day’s races, the team traveled to Mid-Ohio this weekend to run the Superlite Coupe (SLC) at the track where the National Championships will be held in early September this year. The team wanted to get real-world feedback on how the Superlite Coupe could fare at this demanding, and technical track.

It didn’t take long to get a definitive answer, as during Saturday qualifying, team driver Ryan Ellis broke the track record to take the fastest time of the day, as well as pole position for the Super Unlimited class (and the overall pole for the Thunder Group in which the Super Unlimited cars race).

Ryan out-qualified an ex-IMSA GT2 car with a reputed 700+ HP, driven by a driver with significant pro experience, and at his home track. He also bested a deceptively normal- looking Mustang as well. Normal, except for a reputed 1200 HP turbo’d engine. This car pretty much owned the straights.

Fortunately, road racing is more than long straightaways, and the Superlite Coupe owned the corners, and braking zones, and wasn’t too bad on the straights, either… which was apparently enough to make up the difference.

As Saturday’s race began, Ryan was passed at the start by the uber-Mustang, but quickly repassed under braking, and rapidly built up an 8-second lead over the Porsche and Mustang battle behind him. Cruising to what looked like an easy win, after 8 laps Ryan radioed in that he had lost power steering, then the traction control, and then all fire in the car.

Apparently the alternator wasn’t charging the battery, and we were running the car solely on the small race battery charge. And evidently, that wasn’t enough for a 35 minute race.

When the car got back to the pits, the crew pulled out the spare alternator we carry, and swapped it out. And because Fran takes a belt-and-suspenders approach to the car, we also wired in two additional batteries, in case the new alternator decided not to alternate. We figured three batteries in total would be just enough overkill, and put them all on the charger.

Dense fog had cancelled the Sunday warmup, so with an additional 40+ pounds of new lead (and acid) from the new batteries added to the car, Ryan lined up the Superlite Coupe for Sunday’s qualifying session. Nothing like adding weight to the car!

The track was cold, and a little damp, but Ryan managed- again- to wring out the fastest qualifying time of the day to seize the class and group pole position. We had high hopes for the race, as we thought we had solved the charging problem.

Sunday’s race looked to be a repeat of the start of Saturday’s race, with Ryan quickly establishing a 6 to 8-second lead over the rest of the group as he battled through traffic in the 50+ car field. An unexpected spin coming over the hill left the Coupe suddenly just behind what had been the second-place Porsche. Ryan then started to reel in the all carbon-fiber 993 GT2 back into range, but after 15 minutes, he coasted to a stop near the Keyhole. The engine had apparently pushed out its oil, let out a bang - and was dead.

When we got the car back in the pits, we couldn’t see anything wrong with it externally, so we are thinking it might have broken a ring or swallowed a valve. We’ll know for sure tomorrow when we open it up for a look.

The weekend didn’t quite finish the way we wanted, but we did demonstrate what we had always believed- that the SLC has tremendous speed out of the box, and can run with the fastest cars on merit.

We showed up at two different tracks with a new car with no real development, and ran under the lap record at each venue, and sat on the pole for every race the car has entered. The essential Superlite Coupe package has been flawless so far- all of our problems have been engine-related, electrical issues, plumbing problems, etc. When we get past the inevitable teething problems, the SLC will be formidable!

That's a fantastic weekend and although I imagine it was disappointing for those of you at the track, it is a significant accomplishment for the 2nd outing of a new car.

I have been waiting to see what that the racing application of the SLC would reveal as far as improvements to the car; however, I have been pleasantly surprised to see that the car design is basically solid and the only issues that have come up have been typcial new car problems (eg, oil tank leak, electrical issues and engine problems). None of those are "car" problems and I am pleased to see the level of performance that the car is achieving.

Great job guys! Keep at it!
John

Great write up Will. Congrats to all involved. It's just a matter of time before the finishes match the SLC's capabilities. For a virgin race program to show this much speed out of the gate is astonishing. I can't wait to see it in September.

Thanks for the vid Fran, nice race summary Will. Looking forward to more success in future. We all know it's a winner!

Nice write up Will, I hope you didint 'burst into flames' before getting in your airconditioned car for the ride home :).

Thanks for the vid Fran, some of those guys were being awfully nice to Ryan, either that or that were scared 'sh*tl*ss' and staying clear for self preservation :helmet: LOL. Thanks for not putting any music in the vid...all that should come from the engine.

Fun

Thanks for the vid Fran, some of those guys were being awfully nice to Ryan, either that or that were scared 'sh*tl*ss' and staying clear for self preservation :helmet: LOL.

Funny you should say that. In the driver meeting on Sunday, some of the Factory Five Challenge car drivers were apparently complaining that "that green car was too fast".

Some of us on the team thought it might the other way around. :laugh:

The vid reminded me of some motorcycle club racing .... mixed classes reavealed passes that looked a lot like some of those in this video. Some of the slower bikes would look like they were bolted to the ground ... as did some of these cars.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's bad when all the smoke leaks out of stuff - as it quits working then...

Apparently you were running under the NASA run-whatchu-brung class...
Any plans for SCCA racing or other sanctioning bodies?

No Apparently about it Randy, we are running under SU rules....
We have one of the lower HP cars compared with the other V8/V10 cars.

Next season my plan is to run some Endurance events...just have to finish the sprint ones first....:lipsrsealed:

I am not sure about the SCCA events yet but with the required homologation papers sorted ASR could be fun....and I am pretty sure SPO also...although not a National class.

Ron Earp

Admin
So the smoke pump failed and then the engine let go? You know, as bad as that sounds for teething in a new race car it isn't all that bad.

Good work guys. I'm sorry to hear about your woes. Only those that have raced understand how difficult a road you guys are traveling and how promising your results have been.

Rob,

we had four situations of contact on Sat. as no blue flags were being shown and others were in their own race and their mirrors may have been full of their own red mist....Ryan was holding back and trying to be as courteous as possible...but sometimes to no avail.

Tough call when there is such a speed difference, especially in the corners....the Porsche, Vipers and Corvettes had more HP and blew by on the straights much harder than we did...

Last edited:
Congrats on another set of poles and the accompanying track records. We all will expect these results at every new event you attend from now on.

A shame about the engine and alternator, nothing to do with the design of the car itself though. I thought those v8's were great bang for the buck and very reliable. Could have just thrown a rotary in it ;)

Ron Earp

Admin
Could have just thrown a rotary in it ;)

Yep, could have.

Then it'd cost four times as much for the same horsepower and have to be rebuilt every three hours. Not to mention it'd make a horrible noise, except for when it was broken or being rebuilt, which would be often.

Just seen the vid, the differential in speed for some of the passing maneuvers is obscene.

I need to see this car in person, I need to go to RCR but I know this will be a dangerous thing to do, deposit on house or SL-C.....

I can always rent, right?

Back