Ultimate cooling system tool!

Hi guys,

I just finished installing the engine in my Pantera (again! Long story...). Ordinarily filling the cooling system is a monster pain in the ass. Just like a GT40, the radiator is up front, the engine in the back, there's a remote pressure tank, and it takes forever to fill and bleed and purge the system, and you never seem to get all the air out no matter what you do.

A few years ago a guy turned me onto a vacuum-operated cooling service tool. Mine is actually from Harbor Freight (since discontinued for some reason?) but a similar product is available from an outfit called UView:

UView: Product Detail

It's fiendishly effective. All you need is a source of compressed air (your shop compressor). You fill a jug with your coolant mixture and drop the clear hose w/filter into the jug. The unit is jammed into the mouth of your coolant tank/radiator (where the cap would normally go), and compressed air is hooked to it.

In practice, you shut the valve leading to the water, and run the air. As it passes over the top of the tank, the venturi effect creates a vacuum. On a completely dry cooling system, you can get about 20-25 psi of vacuum. You can test for leaking hoses etc. Once the system is secure, you open the valve to the water jug, and the vacuum sucks the fluid into the system! As it does so, the vacuum drops to zero. Then shut the water valve, and repeat again and again. As the system gets more and more filled with water, you can build vacuum more quickly, and lose it during filling just as quickly. Eventually, you just can't vacuum any more water into the system, and you're done!

When you're done, there is NO air in your system and it's full to the brim, no muss, no fuss! Brilliant!

Asking prices for this setup are all over the place, but you can find it really cheaply on Amazon—about $80.

Money well spent! :thumbsup:

I have one....it might have been you Mike who turned me onto a few years back. Not sure. Regardless, you're right...its a great tool and worth every penny.

Yup, it's a good one Mike. I've been using my airlift II in a variety of funky cars with strange cooling systems and it makes a big improvement. Best $80 bucks I've ever spent!

We've used an Airlift for several LS motor projects. Heads are higher than the radiator. It works great. Usually takes 5-10 minutes to suck out all the air. Will pull so much vacuum it completely collapses both radiator hoses.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like a really cool tool - and one cannot have too many cool tools...

However..

Since alloy radiators are designed to work under pressure, one might ask how much vacuum might be TOO much for the tubes in the radiator before they collapse or break loose from the tank's header?

Mike,
I bought one of the air lift II 's this week and used it this morning on my GT40
O my God why didn't I have one of these a long time ago it worked great and so easy. No more air problems!!
Randy as far as the vacuum goes 25 inches of mercury is about all it will pull and that's equivalent to about 13 PSI so it shouldn't hurt the system at all.
Bob

Back