Update on #1076 from Calgary

Well, I pretty well rebuilt the car from the ground up. 2004 CAV. 1076 copy.

Installed 4.5" clutch, designed and built a new throw out bearing, new bell housing, new 6 and 4 piston Wilwood brakes, new parking brakes, Titon peddal box, all roller bearing suspension pivot points, white exhaust system, new shifter, Titlton reservoirs, Krause goodyear eagles from 1960's, electoless nickel plated everything, gourney westlake covers, . photos attached. Ians' new suspension pieces, new ball joints thank you Dwain from Kreymer B.C., list goes on and on, rewired the car, took ac out, made water jet cut aluminum covers for all the access points,

I have all the old parts if any one needs any CAV parts.

Have a boo. Grats.

[email protected]

Attachments

• GT Engine new.jpg
    GT Engine new.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG00004-20100502-1321.jpg
    IMG00004-20100502-1321.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG00210-20100110-1545.jpg
    IMG00210-20100110-1545.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG00231-20100207-1622.jpg
    IMG00231-20100207-1622.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 519
  • gt40 small size.jpg
    gt40 small size.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 672
Blaine, FAN-TAS-TIC!! WOW is all I can say. If that engine shot was in B&W it would look like the real thing....which I guess it is.....well you know what I mean. I'd like to see more photos of the car. Please. I really like some of the things you did to the access panels. They look superb. I can't imagine what it must have been like doing all that work and finally getting her road ready. Enjoy!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Blaine,

You car is a real beauty, I always though the P1076 Gulf paint was the best with just the straight fron stripe. More pix please!

A few more photos

Attachments

• Cover detail.JPG
    Cover detail.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Suspension detail.JPG
    Suspension detail.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 455
  • Suspension bearing detail.JPG
    Suspension bearing detail.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Throw out brg complete.JPG
    Throw out brg complete.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Throw out brg.JPG
    Throw out brg.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 394

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Blaine,

Great looking car, unique in that probably 95% of Gulf themed cars have the orange wrapping around the nose ala 1075.

Beautifull work on your parts too. Lot's of grey matter at work there!

Cheers

Ian

You know what, I musta spent $60.0 k on this car this winter. It actually does not drive very well. I am going to get a feller here in town that sets up race cars to have a saturday on it.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Blaine, I imagine your savouring a driving experience that validates all the effort and cool parts you've added to the car. Go on any forum about any car and you can find similar feelings about initial drives after major work/investment. I feel for you bud.

The reality is that getting all the new bits to work together with the chassis, not just each other, is tricky business. Hopefully you've found the right guy to set it up. It will come down to fine tuning and basic setups followed by driving, making notes of each change and refining the results.

Once it's dialed in I have no doubt you'll love the car all over again. Right now she's being a bit... awkward (being polite here). You have a weapon there my friend, trust me:)

Please feel free to give my phone number to who ever is working on your car. Be glad to help any way I can.

Cheers

Blane, I too was a little frustrated about my car. The first three times I took it to the track, it came home on a flat bed wrecker. I broke so many parts. Thanks to some help and some positive reinforcement, the bugs are pretty well worked out and did 8 track days this year. It came home under its own power each time! Now I sooo enjoy the car. I look back and think how close I was on letting this dream go. I am glad I kept at it and now, each time I drive it, love it more and more.

The one thing I've always liked about this forum is that people REALLY do care about helping others. Blaine, Good luck in getting the car where you want it. Ian has always been a HUGE help to me and his offer to assist is sincere. Tom is also right....I've had some very frustrating issues with # 82 (I still am!) but I know that when the car is right its a blast to drive. Stick with it she'll come good for you. She is stunning to look at for sure.

blaine, i feel your pain. if i were to do this again, i would have done alot things differently. had many many teething problems. in my case, most were mechanic / builder made, rather than the car.
probably my best move was working with people like Ian, Dave Briggs, Larry at Precision. in other words, guys who really know because they have done it before. this forum is the only reason my car is now sorted and after lots of pain, tears, time and money.
be patient and keep asking alot questions
cal

With out this forum the rebuild would have been impossible.
If me better half only had one eye and the other leg I would still love her, same with 1076 I love this car regardless. We spent a lot of Friday nights together.

She will come around.
Thank you for support!!!

Pat

Supporter
This is stunning work Blaine. I think you'll find that the more the initial frustation, the greater the satisfaction when you finally get it sorted the way you like it. By the looks of things, you are well on your way.
Please keep us in the news on your rebuild and let us know if we can help in any way.

My next project a "Jaguar" pardon???

If this violates the forum rules, hopefully we can remove this update. Anywho, here attached is me next project. A 1961 Jaguar e typo light weight coupe. 6 cylinder 440 hp from dyno. Larry Ligas's SCCA race car from Florida. I will be driving this to work once I put a few amenities on it.

RHD.

the GT and the Jag talk at night.

Cool ha.

Attachments

• photo (2).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 406
Back