Windshield Glare

My RCR40 has a hazardous degree of glare off the windshield which I think is coming from the dash. In low sun angle conditions, it can be momentarily totally blinding. I finished the dash in Wurth Black Satin Trim Paint thinking the low sheen would be suitable for the dash but now I'm wondering if that is what is contributing to this problem.

Any suggestions on reducing/eliminating the sun glare?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Even satin black is too shiny in bright sunshine due to the steep angle of the windscreen. if the screen is already in and you can't spray it matt black try covering with black alcantara. I have this on top of my quite shiny leather covered dash and it is OK.
Cheers
Mike

Thank you, very helpful! I may see if I can mask the screen carefully and respray flat black and if that makes no difference look into covering it.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Polarised sun glasses = problem fixed.
Decent polarised ones
And they may not be the most expensive…..
test in the shop get 2 pairs hold them up to a light and look through both pairs one lens in front of the other … now rotate one pair and when at right angles = no light penetration. No slowly do it again and check the angle where the light is no longer visible. Try with other makes and the pair that goes black/no light seen at the smallest angle is the better lens.

I used to work in a company that sold about 6m pairs of sunglasses annually.

Ian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very interesting Ian. I don’t usually wear sunglasses because my vision sucks due to a stroke a few years ago. Do they offer good clip ons also??

Regards Brian

Rob Klein

Supporter
Very interesting Ian. I don’t usually wear sunglasses because my vision sucks due to a stroke a few years ago. Do they offer good clip ons also??

Regards Brian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.12.42 PM.png
    381.9 KB · Views: 68

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Rob. I’ll look into something like that. My wife’s 98 year old Gray Aunt had something like that. I had forgotten all about those.

Regards Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Can you just throw a black towel on top of the dash to see if that helps? There are glass tinting shops that will now install filter material on windshields. A friend had his truck windshield done a couple years ago with anti-uv and it made a world of difference !

Decent polarised ones
And they may not be the most expensive…..
test in the shop get 2 pairs hold them up to a light and look through both pairs one lens in front of the other … now rotate one pair and when at right angles = no light penetration. No slowly do it again and check the angle where the light is no longer visible. Try with other makes and the pair that goes black/no light seen at the smallest angle is the better lens.

I used to work in a company that sold about 6m pairs of sunglasses annually.

Ian
So what make of polarised sunglasses would you choose to wear ;)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Nick.
I wear prescription glasses and have had some done with a polarised lens which were OK

Best I used to use was a pair that cost £8 from Tesco, These were oversize and I wear them over my normal glasses when needed.

They also had clip ons around the same time but they were the wrong shape for my prescription set.

Ian

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
So what make of polarised sunglasses would you choose to wear ;)

Seregeti Strata 5324 Aviator

Originally made by Corning for aerospace use. These were comparatively very expensive at the time but I am still using the same pair that I bought on their release in the 80s.
They are superb protection for flyfishing and driving.

You can buy replacement plastic lenses that fit many of the popular sunglass frames back to vintage stuff from a company called FUSE lenses. They polarize, coat, etc. I have purchases several pairs to replace old scratched lenses. The Pantera has the same problem with sun glare. I find the best solution is not to drive facing the sun much:cool:

I have had the same issue on my Stratos and covering my dash with alcantara cured it completely. It also looked superb with colour coded stiching......

Anyone had theirs flocked? Any reason why that isn't a good idea? That's what I am thinking of doing with mine.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Maui Jim sunglasses. I have tried these out on the ocean, snow skiing in the mountains, and driving. They even work better than Varney's who I believed were the best for a long time.
I have a pair of these in my gt40. They work better than anything I have tied. Here's the lens tech page below as well as the tech page for Varney. You can surf the rest of their catalogs from there.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Anyone had theirs flocked? Any reason why that isn't a good idea? That's what I am thinking of doing with mine.
It used to be quite a common practice. I‘ve never had it done as I was concerned (probably not an issue) that bits of flock would, over-time and with air movement, become dislodged and airborne…. As a sufferer of easy eye irritation, I take a lot of precautions…

Back