016 clutch question

Gent's,

I have been buying some parts as of late. Saw a Tredex Clutch kit for Audi 5000 79-88 on ebay $97.00. Anybody use one. I was told my transaxle came from an 84. It's marked 016-AFC .
Dave

Don't know about the clutch, but you have a good one - AFC coded 016's have pretty darn good ratios for a GT40. With a 26.6 rear wheel she'll be good for about 172mph at 6,000rpm.... I have an AFC out in the garage too.

Get the turbo clutch. It is bigger in diameter than the non-turbo. Check and see what your flywheel is made for. KEP uses the turbo version.

Thank's Eric. I thought I would be using the stock flywheel and starter that came with the quad four. If I need the Audi flywheel and starter I will have to do some changes.
Dave

What engine are you using? The KEP kit or the one I make has a custom flywheel if you are using a V8. The stock flywheel cannot be adapted to a different engine.

David,
KEP does make an adapter for the GM Quad four, I think for a Porsche gearbox.
Give them a call as I believe they also do some Audi gearbox stuff. Good luck!

Jack,
I've got their pamphlet Revision 17. They don't recomend the Quad Four, they say it vibrates at high RPM. I don't see an adapter for it. I can can get a Quad Four to Hewlands no problem. Joe (Bobo) said he could get one done for me. I was just wondering about the clutch on ebay but it's gone now.
Dave

Dave,

I was surprised of your choice of the quad four. Poor reputation here, pretty engine though.
If I were to build a B-16 replica my choice would be BMW 4 cyl or a rotary.

Jack,
I'm an old GM guy. I am getting parts together. Lot's of these available I am doing LD9 180 HP Quad Four HO weaver 3 stage sump, shannon pan, with side draft fuel injection, arp bolts. By the way KEP does have an adapter. Found it in the green price list. I am also going to do the cam chain to belt conversion. By the time I am done Jack less than $5000.00 in to it with transaxle.
Dave

You have all the right parts for that quad four. I would do the same if using that engine. Besides, it's really pretty! The cam chain to belt conversion is the BEST thing you can do with the quad four, so I understand. Have fun!

Back