01E/01X Trans Coolers

Brett,

No experience here on making an oil cooler addition to the 01E, but the European Audi A8 01E employs an oil cooler with internal oil pump; I believe the code is EKN for that gearbox.

I may soon be considering an oil cooling system as well. Depending on how the circulation is set up, Wanni advised me to ensure I don't over-pump the oil and possibly starve portions of the gear train or R&P. Some of his advice centered around ensuring the drain-back passages from the rear of the gearbox to the R&P sump matches the flow requirements if the circulation system is so configured.

Andy

Interesting. Do you think that overheating is a cause of failure for these transaxles? Or, are you just thinking a cooler would improve longevity generally and reduce wear?

Seems to me the 01E/01X's main shortcoming is simply not being able to handle SBF levels of torque by either exploding the spider gear set or breaking the rear case. I wouldn't think improved cooling (and thereby improving the oil's viscosity) would necessarily help solve these types of catastrophic failures. That's not to say that a cooler, properly installed, doesn't improve things in just about any gearbox out there!

Cliff I have been advised by people that the 016s used to get hot in Ray Christopher's car when he had an AUdi box and he installed a cooler. I am trying to make sure I offer the same protection for my car.

Brett

Hi Brett,

Understood. Lately, I've been wondering if a cooler could improve my 016 as well - have been trying to monitor the operating oil temps. I haven't rigged up a sensor into an used port (that's the next step) but have just monitored the surface temp (with a non-contact electronic sensor) at several locations and logged it. Nowhere could I get more than 120 degrees on the exterior surface (150 internally??), even with "spirited" driving. I'm sure my measurement technique here is severly inaccurate however.

Incidentally, if you want that "period correct" look, the oil cooler out of a Lycoming (see ebay aviation parts) is the original part and can sometimes be had for a reasonable price but make sure it is properly flushed if buying used.

I can help a bit on this one. Oiling and heat in general could certainly be a contributing factor to premature gearbox failure. In addition to the cooler/pump options, you might wish to consider Cryogenic Stress Relief and REM Micropolishing. These two options will greatly improve gearbox life, as well as lower overall gearbox temps by quite a bit.

We have had great success with this here in the past and I would be happy to talk more about what these processes are if you have any questions.

Hope that this has been helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Back