01E Oil Cooler

Hi guys,
I'm after your thoughts on running an oil cooler for the 01E. Since the box is out now and getting fitted with custom straight cut dog gears, I thought it would be a good idea to install an oil cooler.
I'll be running an electric oil pump ( 8L/m) which would be feed from the drain on the box, through the filter, pump and cooler. Where I'm stuck is where to return the oil into the box without drilling the casing. One option would be to make an inline sump (where you can fill the box from) and from the sump into the box's fill hole. The top of the sump would need to be the same height as the fill hole on the box so you don't overfill the box.
The other option would be to have the oil return where the speedo pickup used to live. I'm not sure how oil would flow where the speedo used to be.
I don't have the box with me, so I can't take photos at the moment.
Any thoughts are wellcome.

Thanks
Bob

Bob,
I have had the question for the 01X and got not much response. As a thought, why wouldn't you drill the case to put a spray bar or similar in. I know Rick Merz did this on his G50 when had his GTD.

Brett

The 01E is available with a diff driven oil pump, but it requires a new case though.

Oil return to the back of the transmission would be the best solution and we are making a custom rear seal that has a port which puts oil directly to the main shaft.

Hopefully I'll have pics soon to explain what we've conjured up.

I have spent some time thinking if I should drill and tap the case, but I'm worried of weakenning the case by drilling it. I'm trying to keep the case as solid and strong as possible.
I actually like the idea of having the rear seal and the return path, but I'm not sure if I got room as the rear of the box is already past the body work. Once I get the box back in, I'll defenetly have a look at the idea.

If you are not going to use a spray bar why not dump it back in at the filler.
Keep the cooler below the oil level and delete the sump idea(less parts).

If you cant get the cooler low enough maybe the speedo drive is the better option.
Depending on the pump design it may not drain back.

Only worry I would have dumping in the rear is these boxes seem a little slow to fill and it may dam up in the rear.

I remember a thread on spraybars (cant remember his name) gearbox manufacturer ,high end stuff.
He stated spraying on the leading side pits the gears but not on the trailing.
Leading being where the 2 gears come together (compressing the oil).

Jim

Last edited:
Back