1:18 scale mk 1 ??

Is it me or is there a distinct lack of good 1:18 scale diecast gulf liveried mk.1 GT40 out there?

I have been looking for one, and can find alot of scalextric, 1:43 and the pretty cool 1:12 GMP but have yet to find a 1:18 mkI. Preferably in gulf coulours with all the sponsor logos etc..

I would love to get a 1:12 GMP model but the stupid prices they sell for in the UK as everybody and their middle man have to take their cut, hence its twice the US price.

Is it just me or?..

I imported a 1/12th GMP Gulf model direct from GMP in the States. Even allowing for import duty etc I saved more than £200 on the UK price. Well worth it ! The model is stunning.

The only 1/18th Gulf car model I have come across is a Revell diecast which isn't that detailed - no sponsors' logos etc.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Graham, I have the 1/10 Exoto MKII and was wondering how the GMP MKI compared. Have you seen the Exoto? The GMP is $500 USD here and I think I paid only a bit more for the MKII. The GMP looks good on their website (as did the Exoto). I am amazed by the detail on the MKII - even has a real throttle spring and moveable toggle switches! Thanks,

Mark

Although the GMP Mk 1 is very well detailed, I believe the Exoto Mk11 is on another level altogether. I've seen fairly detailed photos of the Exoto model in the latest issue of the annual 'Automobile Year' which has a really good feature on the origins and development of the Exoto company and the model looks truly awesome. The GMP model retails in the UK for £600 ( yes - that's UK POUNDS !!) and I've seen the Exoto model on Ebay for anything up to $1000+ !! I bought the Gulf car as it brings back childhood memories of seeing the real #1075 at the Jackie Stewart Speed Show in Glasgow, Scotland in 1971. I couldn't take in how low it was. Been obsessed with this beautiful car ever since.

Graham, Not interested in buying my 1:10 Exoto MKII then, I am willing to drop a fraction on my asking price.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me or is there a distinct lack of good 1:18 scale diecast gulf liveried mk.1 GT40 out there?

I have been looking for one, and can find alot of scalextric, 1:43 and the pretty cool 1:12 GMP but have yet to find a 1:18 mkI. Preferably in gulf coulours with all the sponsor logos etc..

I would love to get a 1:12 GMP model but the stupid prices they sell for in the UK as everybody and their middle man have to take their cut, hence its twice the US price.

Is it just me or?..

[/ QUOTE ]

Exoto is coming out with a line of Gulf liveried cars (1968
and 1969). Don;t know when.

Jouef/Eagles Racce also had a line of 1:18 GT40s.

My favorite, if you can find it, is the Revell 1:20 Creative
Masters. I like it better than what I've seen of both the
1:10 Exoto and 1:12 GMP.

Ian

I have one of the Jouef models that Ian K mentioned; it really isn't bad for the money, although the detail IS a bit sparse. It does, however, have a complete engine and transaxle beneath the hinged tail section.

GT401jpeg-vi.jpg

GT403jpeg-vi.jpg

GT402jpeg-vi.jpg

Jim

FWIW, the Eagles Race line is no longer as it's now called Universal Hobbies.

I have both the # 6 Mark 1, as above, and the # 1 Mark II; also in Gulf colours.

In addition, I have a gray Mk II and a green MK 1 and another MArk 1 I've painted like my car.

All are 1/18 scale Unoiversal Hobbies and not very detailed but look great on the mantle

Ben

I've also got Universal Models MK1 #6 Gulf model. Not very detailed, but as Ben said, looks good enough to sit on the mantle and the price was right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
That is the one I have and I think I noticed it is expensive now! I bought it for $129 from a fellow, now listed at higher from what I've seen, true? A nice model though but it is the only GT40 I've got - even my full size one is gone now. ;-(

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
That is the one I have and I think I noticed it is expensive now! I bought it for $129 from a fellow, now listed at higher from what I've seen, true? A nice model though but it is the only GT40 I've got - even my full size one is gone now. ;-(

Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's the #9 car, which was made in 1993. It had a
smaller run, so it runs higher - over $200 often.

The #6 car came out in 2000, and had a longer run. I still see
it fetch over $100 regularly (I got mine for $85).

Then there's the Limited Edition #6 with Ickx and Oliver signed
plate - it hits over $350 easy.

Still the nicest of all the die cast ones out there. I was so
eager for the GMP, but when it came out, I was disappointed.
The Revelle CM was such a better buy.

Ian

New Exoto gulf 1/18

I know this is a very old thread but I've been keeping an eye on Exoto and in the last couple of weeks they have updated their website with details of the 1/18 Gulf Mk1. Looks likely to cost a whopping $795 but if it's like the Mk2 models it will be very good. Just need a 1/10 scale version

img10147_1_6_medium.jpg

If that's the Exoto offering, it's a disappointment. There is one GT40 replica manufacturer (at least) whose body is AFU; the rear end is all wrong, and droops noticeably. The genuine article's rear spoiler is higher than the top of the front fender, and there is a pronounced curvature in the body over the rear wheels, but several replicas get it all wrong; they look like they were run over from behind and squashed from the roofline back. This one appears to be copied from the kit car. Look how weird the rear end looks? You can draw a straight line from the back of the roof to the base of the spoiler. Also, the nose is too long and/or the front wheel opening is too far towards the rear of the car. :cry:

Contrast that with an identical view (mirror image) of the real thing. See how much more voluptuous and curvaceous the real deal is?

Ford_GT40_Mark_I_Gulf_LeMans_1969.jpg

Contrast that with an identical view (mirror image) of the real thing. See how much more voluptuous and curvaceous the real deal is?

Full disclosure--upon deeper inspection I can see that the image above is actually a very, very detailed drawing rather than a photo. Note the detail errors--it has standard GT40 doorlatches instead of the JWA/Gulf latches.

Still, my point holds...the model pictured above is a terrific disappointment. When will somebody produce a truly excellent GT40 Mk 1 (ideally not a Gulf car, as those things are a dime a dozen...)?

Full disclosure--upon deeper inspection I can see that the image above is actually a very, very detailed drawing rather than a photo. Note the detail errors--it has standard GT40 doorlatches instead of the JWA/Gulf latches.

Still, my point holds...the model pictured above is a terrific disappointment. When will somebody produce a truly excellent GT40 Mk 1 (ideally not a Gulf car, as those things are a dime a dozen...)?

I think we'll have to reserve judgement until the finished model comes out. It could be an early prototype etc and I am sure that the final model will be spot on. After looking at some of the other new Exoto models I'd find it very odd if they were to get this one so wrong

I thought there was a Gulf P1075 in 1/18th scale available now by a company called Sparks for £159 approx?
Regards Allan

The spark website shows the model but it too isn't available yet. Some websites have it as preorder but with no release date.

SPA18LM68_1.jpg

SPA18LM68_2.jpg

SPA18LM68_3.jpg

Trev

Spark is a really neat company. About ten years ago, I was at Le Mans with a friend in his Pantera GT5-S--in fact his car was the original prototype of the series. We were at the big informal car show at Indianapolis corner on the Friday, and two Chinese guys were shooting a billion photos of the car from every angle. We spoke to them and learned they were from Spark Models.

A year later, Spark released an almost perfect model of his car:

Spark%200537.jpg

It differs in small details, because we put them in touch with the owner of another, almost identical car, and they chose to use some of the non-standard details from his car.

Over the years, they continued to release different Pantera models. Although I was excited, I was also disappointed because there were some detail problems that would be invisible to most people, but were glaring to me. By coincidence, many of them could easily be solved. For instance, the Group 4 race cars used the early Pantera interior; their model had a late Pantera interior, but they also had a model of an early Pantera. So by using the interior of that model, they could make the race car model correct.

I contacted them to offer feedback, and they were more than enthusiastic about it. I learned from them that they had never even SEEN a real group 4 Pantera (only 14 were ever made), and instead created their models entirely from photos in old magazines etc.! So, given that, the level of accuracy and detail really is astounding.

I ultimately sent them a CD-ROM with about 400 detailed Pantera photos (yes, I am a mega-dork!), and a few months later, a box arrived from China, with representative examples of one of each of their Pantera Gr4 models, now fixed! It was a nice gesture of thanks on their part.

I wonder if they actually got the opportunity to have access to the Gulf GT40, or just relied on extensive photo archives? The model looks quite good, don't you think?

I hope they produce a non-Gulf GT40 as well.

Their website has an interesting 'about us' page that's worth reading:

Spark Models

I really admire this company....

Back