1.5 mile top speed Northeast event: Battle of the Superkit cars 2012?

Here is the start of this on the other forum:

Anyone know about this color or other candy looking red? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Of course I am game but I also know I am a huge underdog. Maybe Kit Car Magizine would be interested too, budget build GTM against the Goliath of SLC. "Battle of the budgets" has a ring to it.

With your HP goal and what mine is, it would not be much of a race unless I turned up the wick and then I better have a spare G50 with me. Maybe Mendeola will let me showcase there stage II box for a few days. I will not leak your secret monster that you got under your bonnet but a 5.3 truck engine with a budget turbo would be an awful sore loss, sure you want this possibility. That would definitely leave a mark. :001_tongue:

Iron-man needs to be in the mix too, his car is all sorted out and is already running pressures that I would not feel comfortable doing.

You are well ahead of me in the build, I am hoping for July completion. BTW, I understand both of us used the same company to get our custom engine harnesses made. How did your work out?

You remind me of the guy in class that shoots a spitball at someone then runs behind the teacher when the guy comes to respond. In this case the teacher is "budget".

If you caculated your budget using a new GTM kit and donor parts instead of the deal you got from a motivated seller, our budgets would be MUCH closer. Shockingly so. You know this as fact, and if you doubt it, we can go over the #'s at Allan's house in a few weeks. If you factor in actual man hours, my build is CHEAPER than yours without a doubt.

Anyway, budget isn't a handicap in this situation. It's an excuse. It's not like I am spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to your budget. They are close. I am probably more constrained by budget than you would be if you didn't put the budget constraint on yourself to see what's possible as an exercise. Besides, you are the one who keeps calling me out. Not me. :p

Why would I have shame losing to a 5.3liter v8 Turbo 2400lb car in a speed competition?? My SLC is naturally aspirated. Runs only on cheap as I can find 93 octane pump gas, and idles at 600rpm dead smooth. You make it seem like you are the one handicapped. There are examples of people running 8 and 9sec quarter mile times with 5.3 LS engines from the junkyard w/custom ebay chinese turbo kits on LS1 tech. My motor won't make the power to run that fast. After all of this time I just want it to run and last. Whatever power I make I make. I can't "turn up the boost" or anything. It's just a basic build with a cool intake manifold anyone can buy.

Ironman is welcome if he decides to play nice. Anyone is welcome to make the trek.

It would be fun to set this up. The way I see it:

1) It would be spread out over multiple events during the Summer/Fall since we don't have the budget or resources of a TV show to rent out a facility to do it in one shot.

2) We need to define the events, and agreed upon measurement methods.

3) We would have witnesses keeping score and making sure we play by the rules.

4) It would be open to anyone who wants to join in.

If we could pull this off, it would be much more fun than a wax and shine car meet IMO. I would hope and the expect the rivalries to be friendly, and although any speed events are serious, no one takes the outcomes so seriously that it loses the fun aspect of it.

1.5 mile event in Maine: Home

I spoke to the Race Director. The runway is over 2.5 miles long. 1.5 mile to top speed and 1 mile to slow down. The runway is dead smooth according to him. 300ft wide. Looks like an awesome event. They are strict about safety however, so please read the race rules for the speed class you want to race in.

The 2012 entry fee hasn't been set yet, but last year there were 147 racers, and the cost was $150 for the day. If you hot lap you can get 20 plus runs in if you choose. If you sign up, book your hotel early. There are not a lot of rooms in the area.

The dates for 2012 are: 7/14 (confirmed-will either be 1 day or 2), and the September date is TBD right now.

For the 1/4 mile event, we can piggy back on numerous track day rentals, and we can look into autocross events.

The event needing the most planning and commitment is the mile (and a half) event.

Any RCR guys interested in setting something like this up?

This track is super smooth and really wide. I raced on it twice last year.
The biggest items are safety, SAFETY, and more SAFETY.
You will be limited to speed by safety equipment.
Study the rule book as my car is limited to 175MPH for now.
And just a hint Sunday afternoon is hot lap time for those that stay all day.
And on another note, any new competetors will need to make qualifying runs at 125,150,175,and 200MPH unless they have a ECTA or LTA license or equivalent.
Just remember to bring any spare parts that you could break as the track is a long ways away from any speed shop.

This is a really fun event

ECTA record holder B/GT @ 175.75 in 2011
LTA record holder B/GT @ 183.8 in 2011
Mark

Attachments

• mark6small[1].jpg
    mark6small[1].jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
This track is super smooth and really wide. I raced on it twice last year.
The biggest items are safety, SAFETY, and more SAFETY.
You will be limited to speed by safety equipment.
Study the rule book as my car is limited to 175MPH for now.
And just a hint Sunday afternoon is hot lap time for those that stay all day.
And on another note, any new competetors will need to make qualifying runs at 125,150,175,and 200MPH unless they have a ECTA or LTA license or equivalent.
Just remember to bring any spare parts that you could break as the track is a long ways away from any speed shop.

This is a really fun event

ECTA record holder B/GT @ 175.75 in 2011
LTA record holder B/GT @ 183.8 in 2011
Mark

Hi Mark, I think you posted on the FFcar forum thread too? I sent you a PM. Will you be attending this year?

I'm the spit ball guy. As they say "game on". Not a troll as before too long I will be building a Nemesis. In the mean time " let's get it on". Read the whole post below.

Battle of the Superkit cars 2012? 1.5 mile top speed Northeast event - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Hey Fuzzy, welcome to the GT40 site. This event is going to be fun.

Just as long as it's kept civil, why not? Someone should invite the British as well (Ultima GTR).

Always civil. It's just cars and fun competition. It would be great to have Ultimas there too. Jeff Schwartz would probably be the top dog if he went unless the Black TT SLC from Canada made an appearance.

Spread the word.

Agreed civil....... RM helped me get my GTM so other then few A wise posts we're all good. I even put one engine mount bolt in when he installed his engine. Really looking forward to this.

Just rember,
The land speed racing guys are there to have fun and go really fast.
As our only competition is actually the track and wind resistance.:lipsrsealed:
The second is the worst.

RM
I am T70MK3B on the FFCars forum and there is a post in the coupe section on loring for those who are interested.

Will this group be running time only?

And another item those with super charger or turbo need a SFI 15 or greater fire gear.
Regards
Mark

Jeff is awaiting a deposit on his Ultima...we spoke earlier this week about a couple of new TT projects
Awesome! Can't wait to see what he does. His Ultima was crazy fast. I got to ride in it before he changed from the LS6 to the TT LS2 and it was quick then. Him winning the 0-200-0 Silver State was pretty cool a few years back!

I have studied the rule book and if there have been 50 bodies of a particular model produced I think you can compete in the Modified Sports class.:thumbsup:
Now to find out if Fran's suplier has produced more than 50 of the RCRT70 bodies?
Looking forward to seeing a bunch of these fast rides for this event.
Now I just need to win the Megabucks so I can afford to run all the events.
Also anyone that will be competing will need to get a car number from either the LTA or the ECTA.

Mark

Mesa,
The big question is for those running the SLC.
Has RCR produced 50 of those bodies?
If they have then I think they can compete in the Modifed Sports class for the land speed racing part of the event provided safety will tech the cars for a high enough speed, like 200+ Because being limited to 135+/_ 10 would not be much fun.

Where would the other events be held and when?

Regards,
Mark

Mesa,
The big question is for those running the SLC.
Has RCR produced 50 of those bodies?
If they have then I think they can compete in the Modifed Sports class for the land speed racing part of the event provided safety will tech the cars for a high enough speed, like 200+ Because being limited to 135+/_ 10 would not be much fun.

Where would the other events be held and when?

Regards,
Mark

There should be no problem running in the Modified Sports class, since more than 50 SLCs have been produced, if that is the criterion.

Back