17" Tires History ??

Dear all,

i´m trying to find out as of when 17" racing or performance street tires have been used. Who has them used first ( pictures) and when ?

would be interrested in the knowledge of you here.

How period correct would the be and which period this would be ?

Thanks
TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

I can't speak for Europe, but in the USA, 17 inch tires hit the street in the late 80's. i didn't see them on the race tracks until the mid 90's and even then, they were not accepted in most classes unless they were DOT approved tires. Michelin may be a good place to ask as they support many different racing organizations.

Tom, if you are asking if it would ever be appropriate to run 17-inch tires on a history GT40, the answer is no.

Well, for street cars in the 21st century, it's fine. But 17-inch tires are a relatively new invention, and for the first 30 years of a real GT40s life (at least!) it would only have run various 15-inch sizes, depending on if it was an early or late car, wire wheels, Gulf flares, etc. etc.

I can't imagine anybody ever putting anything other than 15-inch wheels on a genuine GT40, ever. But lots of replicas use them to good effect, because you can get better tires for them (or at least, you could--the supply of 17-inch tires may be drying up sooner than you think!) :cry:

I don't know about 17" wheels/tires but I remember reading about how 16" and wide tires got developed.

I'm sure you can find the information somewhere, but apparently Jim Hall with chaparral was the first to challenge the tire thinking at the time. This was in the 60's. I believe he worked with goodyear in the development. He may well have been the first to develop 17"s as well with all his experimenting...

Tom, if you are asking if it would ever be appropriate to run 17-inch tires on a history GT40, the answer is no.

I can't imagine anybody ever putting anything other than 15-inch wheels on a genuine GT40, ever.

Genuine ones will have their own wheels and I agree. Replicas though I strongly disagree.

But lots of replicas use them to good effect, because you can get better tires for them (or at least, you could--the supply of 17-inch tires may be drying up sooner than you think!) :cry:

Strongly agree with that. Good luck finding anything 17" to fit 5 or 10 years into the future. Even 18" aren't all that easy to get in the sizes we would want but at least there you still have some options. If you go to 19" you have plenty, but everyone here seems to think that is too much wheel and would give you that ricer/tuner look. I kind of agree, but as more and more cars go that route, it will be more the norm.

I like my 17 inch wheels...but I don't like the low profile tire look.
Has anyone come across 17 inch tires with taller more baggy looking sidewalls?

I was thinking of trying some 335's on my 10.5inch wide wheels to see if they have the look I am chasing.....I have 315's on at the moment.....

I like my 17 inch wheels...but I don't like the low profile tire look.
Has anyone come across 17 inch tires with taller more baggy looking sidewalls?

I was thinking of trying some 335's on my 10.5inch wide wheels to see if they have the look I am chasing.....I have 315's on at the moment.....

Do you have a Gulf style rear Dave?

My car is in the build stage and I have the standard RF rear clip which you can only fit cheese cutter tires. I have a set of Gulf flares which need cutting in to the rear clip and 17 x 10.5 Vintage wheels to go on when done.

Back