18th June 1815

Glenn M

Supporter
I'm surprised that the anniversary of this illustrious date has nearly slipped by without our very own Colonel demanding that we all stand to attention and salute - as indeed we should, quite rightly. It may have been 'the nearest run thing' but it was a bloody well done thing!
Three cheers for the Iron Duke!

Keith

I'm surprised that the anniversary of this illustrious date has nearly slipped by without our very own Colonel demanding that we all stand to attention and salute - as indeed we should, quite rightly. It may have been 'the nearest run thing' but it was a bloody well done thing!
Three cheers for the Iron Duke!

We have hung up our Jingo bells a long time ago and would remind the Paddock faithful that the next worst thing to losing a battle, is winning one...

(thinking about it some more, this must have been the very first example of a "coalition of the willing'.)

And I'm surprised that there is no mention of Waterloo in the media.

There was a piece on Victoria earlier.....:quirk:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Personally, to ME, Waterloo is just another event wherein yet another pompus JACKASS got his 'come upin's'.

Sue me... :evil:

Malcolm

Supporter
The BBC have been running a number of Waterloo programs recently, and very good ones too!

Waterloo fundamentally changed the course of European history and was a very significant event. I don't know much on the subject but the documentaries doing the rounds are quite enlightening. Well worth watching.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
It created a modern Europe, and it prevented France from doing to Europe what Germany tried to do in 1914 and 1939.

We all owe the Brits a debt on this one.

Keith

Interesting, You mean we stopped a tyrant from forming a French dominated Continental "United States" of Europe?

How did that work out?

Oh and possibly (with a small amount of assistance from our American friends) a mere 124 years later we also stopped another tyrant (this time German , sorry, Austrian for pedants,) from creating, yes, you've guessed it, a German dominated "United States" of Europe..

How did that work out?

Answers on a postcard please...

Back