1966 Superformance GT40 MKI Wide Tail

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Curious, is it sacrilege to install something other than the Roush covers on a Roush engine on a replica of a GT40?

Also, I thought SPF cars were worth about $60k based on some auction last year? It's strange I have had several people contact me asking about this car and if I thought the price was high. I said well yes, you should be able to buy it for $60k since that is what one sold at auction for last year. In all seriousness that is a nice car that may not fetch the asking price but will sell soon for way more than double the alleged market value.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I would struggle with that car at that price...

For $175 (what they quoted me)
Negative - it is a LHD car
Negative - Big investment in a 40K custom Roush motor that is way up in HP, but not enough to go vintage racing with the Pathfinder, and doesn't have a ford block or the correct oil pan. Certainly not FIA, but racing would be out for this car.
Negative - it is a mixed bag on the originality. It has a voltmeter, no aviad oil plan, fuel pumps in the chassis well, etc.
Negative - Gulf #6 paint scheme for me means everyone knows instantly it is a replica (not that I'm trying to mislead anyone, but I love the conversation starter "is it real")

I do think Superformance cars will be more valuable than any other GT-40 replica due to the continuation status, but I question overall collectability of all these cars due to the wide differences in build and the individual taste preferences of the type of buyer that buys these cars.

I've seen this car up close and personal albeit before it was completed and it certainly is a nice car but I'm with Ron.....$175+K? As I said in another section of this forum, I'm sure there is a very nice SPF out there that has been well maintained and "sorted" that if I were to offer $100,000 in cash to that person someone would bite. That leaves me $75+K to buy another car like a pre-owned Nissan GTR or a very nice P-car or maybe even an Audi R8. So, it really makes one think....does me anyway. Continuation or not its still a Replica of one of the originals so will always be priced accordingly. Yes, SPF's will probably always sell for top dollar because of the "continuation" aspect but there is a point of price inelasticity for all these cars.

If I had the spare cash Alan Petersen of Pathfinder might get a call from me because I really like what he does to the SPF GT40R.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What do you guys think of Ford GTs bringing $375K last week? Cars are worth what people will pay.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
For $375K I'd buy a vintage automobile, but as for Ford GT prices...

Really different from these cars. Only 4 options, consistent build quality, limited production car from an established manufacturer. Investor speculation is driving these values, so originality, low mileage and A+ condition sell these cars. The guys pouring $50K - $100K into them for superchargers and aftermarket options are throwing it down the tube because the resale is less than an original untouched example.

IMHO, the problem with all GT40 replicas (more so with the others than with SPF) is that there is so much variation in the build that the average consumer can't differentiate between this car for $175K, the $100K car that Jimmy referenced or the $135K car (narrow tail) also for sale on ebay. The person who can differentiate between them is also is picky on what drives value for him/her.

Me for example who wants a non-Gulf car that is as original as possible including RHD for that kind of money.

My $0.02 priced for value...

Ron, (Don't want this thread to drift) but don't you own a stunning LHD Gulf Liveried CAV with all the bells and whistles? Are you no longer in love with it or are feelings changing. As I said above...for that kind of money (175+K) Pathfinder Motorsports would get my order and the car would come with a Holman Moody Engine, Webers, ZF or RBT and I'd still have enough money left to put the first years worth of petrol in her.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I do. It is down now as I change it to webers from injection (injection takes the grumble out of the car, is very complicated and was not reliable - 3 different ECUs in the car so far). When it works (webers should fix that), it is a wonderful car, very livable, WAY FAST (363ci 500hp), but...Not "raw" and racy like an original.

I need to post up some new pics when I get it back. I've done some customizations to better visually replicate an original car inside and out.

I'm really Jonesing for a non-Gulf car with a 302ci on original specs, that is as honest to the original cars as possible (RHD, etc) to take to vintage track days, etc. Stay tuned...

Ron, Can't wait to see pic's of the "new" weber'ed car. I have webers on mine (44 IDF's, not the 48 IDA's as found on the originals) and love them although they can be finicky. They just sound great and look even better. Who's doing the work, Johann? Begs the question too as to what your going to do with the injection stuff.

I'm sure you know this already but Gelscoe of England can fill your needs as far as accuracy and being able to drive in all vintage classes. Pricey though.

The next best alternative has got to be Pathfinder and their GT 40R. In my mind the best bang for the buck in the GT40 world.

I'm sure you know this already but Gelscoe of England can fill your needs as far as accuracy and being able to drive in all vintage classes. Pricey though.

The next best alternative has got to be Pathfinder and their GT 40R. In my mind the best bang for the buck in the GT40 world.

If I would win the lottery tomorrow, I would immediately be off to Gelscoe to have a new GT40 made and use it in historic racing. Not much can beat that.

John

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Very true, but the Superformance GT40 "R" is available from any SPF dealer. Pathfinder does offer some unique options that they have developed as do some of the other dealers (shameless self promotion....)

Steve

Supporter
I would recommend a "standard" GT40 and add some of the "R" options. Can still vintage race it but safer on the street if you avoid the "R" rollbar (see thread on this). Dennis Olthoff can put in a much more street-safe rollbar as well as all the other "R" features you want to go racing too.

Back