1992 Audi 100 Quattro trans to '68 Ford 302?

Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I've been sitting dormant for quite a while watching the various discussions with great interest. I have a last my first question which I hope the 'Tech Squad' can answer.<o:p></o:p>
I've been offered an Audi 100 2.8 Quattro transaxle (1992); would this be a good Trans to mate to my engine, '68 Ford 302? The 302 was from a Mustang, I'm not looking for Thrust SSC speeds, but I don't won't a trans/engine combo which will overtaken by Del Boys Reliant Robin.

Any advice would be most welcome.<o:p></o:p>

Rick
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Rick Noblal Del boy (the flash git). Could not resist that. I am in the same situation in Aus but our choices are more limited reno 21 gearboxes around audi a little harder at the moment to find, know of a bloke running 425hp threw a 016 with no trouble,then theres g50's if you have lots of money, also heard of a bloke building lambo's using SUBARU gearboxes!!! cheers Ray

Hi Rick, try a search on "audi" and you'll find a ton of information on the various audi-based transaxles. I think you might find there's some critique of using the quattro transaxle v. the fwd transaxle because the quattro box is perceived to be less beefy (technical term)...

How would you use a quattro box then? You can't just not use the driveshaft to the rear.

Look for a FWD audi box(016, 01e, 01x). If you can't locate one I can help, I can get plenty.

Greetz,

Bram

Rick,
As Bram says you would be better of looking for a 2WD variant, as the conversion of a Quattro box and the issues that potentially arises have been discussed many times before; that is unless you plan on making a 4WD Cobra of something...

There are loads of boxes available over here. I have an Audi 01X that is from a A4 diesel, which provides pretty good ratios. One day I will actually get my car on the road and be able to find out. There are also a few other UK members that have Audi boxes on the forum that will be able to help.

If you need any advice on what I have had to go through PM me.

Brett

The quattro boxes require lots of mods making the use in a 2wd car not worth the trouble. I have a 4wd 016 that has the same dimensions as the 2wd version for the bellhousing, side mounts and output shafts. I am using it to get the engine located until I locate a 2wd box.

quattro gearboxes are useless other than to trade for a FWD gearbox. The 012 (01A) is a pretty light duty gearbox.

Back